Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The '86 is worm food........

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:42 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The Universe Song....haha.......one of my favorites!

Change? I changed my underwear tonight. Hell...........I even took a bath!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:43 PM

Oh.........yeah...........Foreigner. Good guitarist, anyway.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by turboboost
Pssst.... Rust can be fixed.
I was going to ask...why didn't oyu take care of the rust? Isn't it easier to sandblast and chemically treat the rust than transplant a million parts onto a new frame?
Old 10-31-2009, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by DupermanDave
I was going to ask...why didn't oyu take care of the rust? Isn't it easier to sandblast and chemically treat the rust than transplant a million parts onto a new frame?
Is this a question for me??
Old 10-31-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
Is this a question for me??
Yeah. You let it eat away the poor thing from the inside out :-(
Old 10-31-2009, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He just said that the frame was rusting from the inside out...You try and get a chemical inside the frame, also I think it was a beater anyway! And what if it was his only vehicle, driving to work everyday, you dont have time to fix it cause he would need it the next day.

Just saying, I was answering the question for you thook!

I see a formula toy in its future maybe Oh with a complete tube frame made from scratch, oh and mogs, and 54in claws, all payed for by the bank you robbed!!!! Get on it thook!!

Whatcha gonna get now?? a pickup maybe?
Old 10-31-2009, 02:59 PM

Well, Duper..... it was a work vehicle. So, it being out of commission for the amount of time necessary to do what needed to be done wasn't always an option. I had done some treatment, just not enough. You might have to be in my shoes to really understand, but there's a lot of factors involved that I don't care to explain here as I've agonized enough over them in private. It's just the way things worked out. Fair enough?
Old 10-31-2009, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
He just said that the frame was rusting from the inside out...You try and get a chemical inside the frame, also I think it was a beater anyway! And what if it was his only vehicle, driving to work everyday, you dont have time to fix it cause he would need it the next day.

Just saying, I was answering the question for you thook!

I see a formula toy in its future maybe Oh with a complete tube frame made from scratch, oh and mogs, and 54in claws, all payed for by the bank you robbed!!!! Get on it thook!!

Whatcha gonna get now?? a pickup maybe?
Haha.........you half answered the question for me. Yes, it was needed most everyday. When it was down at various times, it was REAL inconvenient.

If a pickup with an extra cab came along, I might really consider that. Otherwise, I'm looking to another 1st gen 4rnr. I kinda already have a line on one. But, without disclosing any details, it depends on a certain someone finding a chassis for their parts. When that happens, I'll have my chassis. Just not having much luck, yet. So, we wait.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:58 AM

That sucks...sorry to hear about your runner. You'll find another one soon.

Good luck!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 01:03 PM

Thanks, '91......

I spotted a red 1st gen........not sure on year or engine....at a used car lot Sat. I'm going to look at it tonight.........see what I find out. So, get your fingers outta yer nose and cross'em!
Old 11-07-2009, 08:22 AM

Turns out there were two red 1st gen's sitting on the lot. Didn't the see the second because it was dark and I was driving by rather hurriedly. Anyway, one was an '86 and the other was an '85. Get this, the '85 didn't have vent wind'ers up front. Solid! Didn't realized that was an option for that year. Anyway, no one was there to talk to, so I found there was a business card on the front door with the dudes' number. Called and got one of them on the phone, but........to my great disappointment........both were sold. He got $3k for the '86 and $1200 for the '85. If I'd been there a week earlier, the '85 was up for grabs. Man.........I keep a'lookin'........

Last edited by thook; 11-07-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:44 AM

Update.....

After looking at two other 4runners that needed their fair share of work and a Trailblazer (that the dude didn't really want to sell...dang it)......and, after getting my tax return!!.....I'm looking into getting the frame fixed. At first, I just was too bummed and went with the all or nothing attitude. But, I haven't come across what I'd like yet and I really need my ability to haul back. So, tomorrow I visit my friend and trusted body shop pro to get an assessment. Hopefully he can weld some plate steel and/or fab up the frame with some box tubing so that it'll get me going for a while until the right solution comes down the pike. It'll be terribly exciting to drive her again. I've missed her.....waaahhh!! Everything goes well and first thing I'm going to do is pull the top off...........FINALLY!!!!!!!....after all this time.

Last edited by thook; 06-03-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:18 AM

wanna sell the tranny?
Old 06-10-2010, 09:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Well Jeff I don't think he's getting rid of it.

Anyway...what's the latest Thook?
Old 06-10-2010, 09:20 AM

No, no....I'm getting the vehicle fixed. I had him look at it. It's pretty bad on the pass. side frame towards the end.....from just above the axle back to the bumper. He's going to weld some angle iron and plate from before the axle to the rear crossmember that's still solid. The bumper was already plated in a long time ago, so he'll weld up to that, too. Plus, he has to fab up a new shock mount with some plate and refab the axle bump stop. Even if I wasn't having this done, I'm still planning on another chassis at some point and will be swapping over the entire powertrain. I've put a lot of work into over the years.

Last edited by thook; 06-10-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Well Jeff I don't think he's getting rid of it.

Anyway...what's the latest Thook?
Lol....you posted just before I hit the button. Thanks for asking.....
Old 06-10-2010, 09:26 AM

Good deal...At least your heading in the right direction. Keep us updated and for Pete's sake Pictures Man!!!

I know what you mean by missing her. My 95 was down most of the winter (I know not as cool as a 1st gen) and I missed drivin her. I like to take my dogs with me and I can't rightly toss them in the truck. I'm a bit afraid they might jump. Now that it's back running I feel much better.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:36 AM

Oh, I love 2nd gen's myself. My wife has a '92. It'd be nice to have a 3.4 in it, then I might have to steal it from her...haha. But, I've already rebuilt the motor in it once and put even more work in it after I'd wrecked it a few years ago. Much to appreciate about 2nd gen's, Lumpy.

I do plan on taking pics before and after. In fact, if I can find the camera, I've got the '86 up on stands right now prep'ing the frame for the work and will take some pics to show where's it at, now. It's all filthy inside from sitting around this past winter, but once I get it all clean, have the frame refab'd, and have done my own bit of fab'ing at home, I'll get some pics afterward.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:43 AM

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Check out my frame repair and body restoration on my 84 pickup for some inspiration.
I basically built a whole new rear frame section.

www.funfactorfab.ca

Mine was not broken off or bent yet but my cross member fell right out and the lower half of the box frame was missing in several places. It had already been patched once as well.

I used the cutting torch and removed the lower half of the original box frame and then used the top remaining channel to form the new box frame around. Cross members are made from HSS square tubing. What I ended up with was way stronger then original and looks good too!

I did invest some serious time in this fix though as it basically ment a frame off restoration. In my case I had a reason to save the truck. I wanted the 20+ year old truck because it eliminates the need for local emission testing and I am basically building a hot rod out of it with a modifed ford 5.0 motor etc.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Oh, I love 2nd gen's myself. My wife has a '92. It'd be nice to have a 3.4 in it, then I might have to steal it from her...haha. But, I've already rebuilt the motor in it once and put even more work in it after I'd wrecked it a few years ago. Much to appreciate about 2nd gen's, Lumpy.

I do plan on taking pics before and after. In fact, if I can find the camera, I've got the '86 up on stands right now prep'ing the frame for the work and will take some pics to show where's it at, now. It's all filthy inside from sitting around this past winter, but once I get it all clean, have the frame refab'd, and have done my own bit of fab'ing at home, I'll get some pics afterward.
It's not that I don't like the 2nd gen I do...I have a parts truck to do the 5spd swap...I don't intend on parting with it. I do like the lighter and the topless option of the 1st though.

Best of luck to ya and I'll be standing by to tease ya and toss random banter in to keep ya moving. As 92_Toy how well I can do this.

Quick Reply: The '86 is worm food........