86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 Toyota pickup vapor canister leaking fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 Toyota pickup vapor canister

Why do I have fuel coming out of the air pipe on the bottom of my vapor canister? It’s a 22re with the base turbo. Have a hard time figuring it out
Old 05-19-2020, 07:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
20R gas smell

I have the same on my 20R. I checked the lines just in front of the tank where the hoses clamp the hard lines and traced them back to the ports on the tank. Guess what? The PO (AKA "The Bodger") had re-attached them in reverse order: Vent attached to return, and return attached to vent... and the charcoal canister was SOAKED with gas (weighed about 10lbs) and it was dripping out the bottom (about 1oz overtime I turned the engine off) and draining out the bottom hose through the chassis rail where it is usually routed. Canister currently sitting out in 90-degree Texas sun to dry it out...

Last edited by Rusty Bob; 05-19-2020 at 07:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-15-2020, 10:37 AM

Update to refit

Pulled the canister. Ground off the "paint can" seal. Levered the top out. Spring, retaining plate, and filter popped out. emptied the charcoal into a flat pan and left it in direct sun for 2-3 hrs to reactivated it. drilled out (stuck) ball-bearing using 1/4" bit. cleaned out center aluminum tube. Washed internal cloth filter with WD40 and "dry" lube. left in sun to dry. Reassembled. Qwik-Steel sealed lid back on. rattle can and buffed before remounting. Works like a charm! No gas smell and tank breathes into can easily.

Grinding off the "paint can" seal

lever off the lip

Snip to remove

Emptying the center tube. Not sure what that crud is. And that little hook thing...? A life-saver!

The ball on the right was stuck, hard!

Cloth filter in center tube, nothing to worry about here.

Drying filters and charcoal

drilled out with 1/4" bit

clean the tubes with WD40 and the kids' pipe-cleaners!

Rattle can and buff reveals some thoughtful details

Waiting for Qwik-Weld to cure (overnight).
Old 06-15-2020, 12:57 PM

Alt quick fix.

Alternatively - and with a steady hand - you can drill out the BB by going down the "to tank" outlet with the biggest drill bit that will fit. All that is down there is the BB that sits on a little internal "shelf" to stop it dropping into the canister (the bit you drill out from below when you take it apart). The BB is pretty soft - so a nice new drill bit will go through it pretty quickly. BUT, it will not clear any other blockages - like that crud that was stuck in the center aluminum tube. ONLY do this if you have removed the vacuum to the VCV, etc.. and have that vacuum outlet capped off.