Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 4Runner - help with relay or something??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 4Runner - help with relay or something??

I'm going to cut through the chase and post a youtube link below which has audio of the noise. It is intermittent, only does it when the truck feels like it. Glove box happened to be removed from when I replaced the AC/heater control unit (headache). I do need a blower motor resistor but this audible clicking will occur at anytime it decides when the vehicle is running. It will do it with the clutch engaged or disengaged, in gear or in neutral, a/c on or off. I'm hoping it is simply the resistor showing out but I'm not sure, maybe someone has experience with this noise.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-01-2017, 08:29 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Sounds like something lodged in the fan housing, only thing to do is pull it out and have a look.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:31 AM

Ps

Sorry add..

If it's not occuring with the fan stopped it's a relay, and you can put a stethoscope on them to find out which
Old 02-02-2017, 07:39 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Sounds like something lodged in the fan housing, only thing to do is pull it out and have a look.
More like this. Does not sound like the relay (C.O.R.). Probably a twig that made it way there. The cowl screen design sucks and allows skinny things to get in there.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:52 AM

New info

This noise will only occur with the gas pedal engaged; I can barely engage gas pedal and the noise will stop, let off and it resumes. It still does it randomly, not all the time. is clearly a relay or something electrical. It can't be anything to do with school because as I stated it occurs when ax is ON OR OFF. S. I'm going to clean squirrel cage out to see if I can improve air flow though. Stock ac is blowing cold air, just not enough.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I wonder if the blower assembly is completely bolted in and at certain idle speed it is letting it vibrate against the housing? The only electrical components in that area would be the Computer or the Circuit Opening Relay not fastened down correctly?

I have had trucks with a dead or weak battery to cause some clicking which sounds nothing like you are posting. Since you have your truck running I would not suspect that as an issue but is something that you may want to look into.

Since you said you worked in that area, I would disassemble everything again and see if you did not get something fastened down correctly.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:14 AM

When there was a tear on my intake manifold flex rubber duct my COR made that sound at idle.
​​
Removed your blower/ac fan relay to eliminated doubt on it?

Originally Posted by Stewbaca
This noise will only occur with the gas pedal engaged; I can barely engage gas pedal and the noise will stop, let off and it resumes...
Sorry, unclear.
Noise happens ONLY when gas pedal is engaged...
but you let OFF gas pedal and noise RESUMES?
Old 03-01-2017, 11:46 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Just to be clear, does this still happen if the FAN is OFF with the truck running?
Old 03-01-2017, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
Just to be clear, does this still happen if the FAN is OFF with the truck running?

How about you replace that resistor you mentioned in the first post and get back to us.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:10 PM

Resistor

i replaced the resistor and the noise hasn't returned. What's odd about that is the noise would occur with AC unit on or off. Even more odd is that the noise would completely subside with even a hint of pressure on gas pedal, not even a minimal increase in RPM but it would kill the noise. Anyway I hope it was the $20 resistor that was the culprit but I have my doubts. ITS BEEN 6 days though and no noise, it's a DD with 95k original miles.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:15 PM

Sorry

i replaced the resistor and the noise hasn't returned. What's odd about that is the noise would occur with AC unit on or off. Even more odd is that the noise would completely subside with even a hint of pressure on gas pedal, not even a minimal increase in RPM but it would kill the noise. Anyway I hope it was the $20 resistor that was the culprit but I have my doubts. ITS BEEN 6 days though and no noise, it's a DD with 95k original miles.
yes, the noise would resume when I took my foot off the gas pedal. Touch pedal it would start again. To be clear it wouldn't do it every time I used the vehicle. It was random but occurring more and more frequently.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:20 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Random vibration of the broken resistor coils most likely amplified by the heater box .
Old 03-08-2017, 02:45 AM

What's odd about that is the noise would occur with AC unit on or off..
With AC on or OFF but ONLY when FAN is on, correct?

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Random vibration of the broken resistor coils most likely amplified by the heater box .
YES, resistor coil probably broken but intermittently-touching at break.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:12 AM

Fan on or off

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
With AC on or OFF but ONLY when FAN is on, correct

YES, resistor coil probably broken but intermittently-touching at break.
It would make noise anytime, with fan on or off. I guess it it was "touching at break" but didn't think it was the resistor because it would do it with fan on or off. Just glad it's gone...for now.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:15 AM

It would make noise anytime, with fan on or off. I guess it it was "touching at break" but didn't think it was the resistor because it would do it with fan on or off. Just glad it's gone...for now.
Yes, puzzling
Old 03-08-2017, 01:38 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It was the broken resistor coils vibrating Then inside the heater box acted like a amplifier making it louder .

I would venture the blower motor spinning might have made it vibrate even more

Glad that is fixed
Old 03-14-2017, 01:01 PM

As suspected

as I suspected the noise was not caused by the resistor. If anyone is viewing this post and has not watched the video at the top please do. That noise occurs randomly at any time. It had been a week since I heard it last. It always occurs when taking my foot off the Excelerator. It will continue with the clutch engaged or not engaged. As soon as The slightest amount of pressure is applied to the Excelerator the noise will stop. By slightest amount of pressure I mean even enough to raise the RPMs by 0. If foot is on accelerator the "clicking" stops, even with no RPM increase. The noise will not occur again until the foot is completely lifted off of the Excelerator. Any insight would be awesome.I know how to spell accelerator but apparently Siri does not.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:15 PM

When I had a tear in my flex intake hose elbow which connects to my intake, my C.O.R. clicked on and off at idle.
I suggest u look into any leaks on your intake, your idle, and condition of the AFM flap.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
When I had a tear in my flex intake hose elbow which connects to my intake, my C.O.R. clicked on and off at idle.
I suggest u look into any leaks on your intake, your idle, and condition of the AFM flap.
thanks, I'll look into that next week when I have some time off.