86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Special Seats? 86 Bench seat that says "Toyota 4x4"

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 10:48 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Special Seats? 86 Bench seat that says "Toyota 4x4"

I just picked up a parts truck and the seats and door panels were not what I'm used to seeing. It's a 1986 4x4 22R G series 5 speed standard cab pickup with bench seats. The door panels are carpeted and the stitching lines go straight up and down. The seats match them for the type of fabric used, but the head rest area says Toyota 4x4 on them in yellow (from memory) thread stitched in. Was this a factory thing, or something someone did when they redid their interior ages ago (the seat bottom is worn out). I'll get pics up when I can. I just found it interesting and I can't find photos of anyone else with the same seat. Everything else about the truck is just basic stuff, nothing special expect it came with AC and power steering.

Any input would be great.
Attached Thumbnails Special Seats? 86 Bench seat that says "Toyota 4x4"-dscn3967.jpg   Special Seats? 86 Bench seat that says "Toyota 4x4"-dscn3968.jpg   Special Seats? 86 Bench seat that says "Toyota 4x4"-dscn3969.jpg   Special Seats? 86 Bench seat that says "Toyota 4x4"-dscn3970.jpg  

Last edited by atcfixer; 03-14-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Pictures would help but it sounds like an upholstry shop. Does not sound like anything I have seen. It may have a been a dealer things possibly.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:23 PM

Added photos. I kind of figured it would be from an upholstery shop mainly because of the door panels, all the ones I've seen have lines that flow around the arm rests and such. The carpet is the ugly green/yellow style carpet like my dad's trailer house came with in the early 70's.

The round light spots in the photos are from my led light, overpowering the camera's flash lol.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:31 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Those seats are definitely custom.

I have never seen carpeted door panels or stitching like that from the factory.

It could be a dealer promotional interior but I highly doubt it.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:44 PM

Yea, too bad it's such a dark brown. If it was closer to the oem colors, there would probably be someone interested in them, but doesn't seem to make much sense to have 1/2 the seat one color, and the other half completely different.

To get off topic a little, i saw your sig about the factory clock and radio and was wondering if all the oem pickup radios actually say Toyota on them or not? This truck has the oem style, but I see no brand name on it. I haven't pulled it yet so it probably says on top or the bottom. Basically all of the ones I find have aftermarket pioneer radios and one had a older older kenwood (looks like early to mid 90's era). Crazy so many people swap them out, unless the dealers in Michigan liked to put pioneers in.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:43 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by atcfixer

To get off topic a little, i saw your sig about the factory clock and radio and was wondering if all the oem pickup radios actually say Toyota on them or not? This truck has the oem style, but I see no brand name on it. I haven't pulled it yet so it probably says on top or the bottom. Basically all of the ones I find have aftermarket pioneer radios and one had a older older kenwood (looks like early to mid 90's era). Crazy so many people swap them out, unless the dealers in Michigan liked to put pioneers in.
Not all of the factory OEM radios have TOYOTA on them. Some just have the manufacture's name on a sticker somewhere on them.

From what I have seen, Toyota used Fujitsu 10 and Matsu˟˟˟˟a brand radios. Matsu˟˟˟˟a was the parent company of Panasonic and Technics (the high-end home audio brand).
EDIT: It looks like the YotaTech foul language detector has edited the brand name. Interesting, I have never seen that happen before... You can see the brand name in the last picture towards the bottom.

I got my radio off of e-Bay from an SR5 4Runner. It is branded as a Technics radio and does not say Toyota anywhere on it, but is an original factory radio.

This is the Radio I have. It seems to be fairly rare and since most people swap in an aftermarket head unit, they are pretty hard to find in decent shape. Sorry for the blurry pictures, these are what I found on my computer.

I have since swapped out the LCD screen with one that isn't ruined from another unit and cleaned it really well.

This is the manufacture sticker. The word Toyota isn't on this radio at all.

Last edited by old87yota; 03-15-2017 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Strange things from the land of computers....
Old 03-15-2017, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the info and pics. I've seen that style on ebay before, but have never seen one in a pickup in person yet. I did read that some dealerships would "upgrade" the factory radio to a pioneer. I have an 86 with 67k miles with what I suspect is a dealer installed "upgraded" radio but I'm not sure, and there seems to be limited info on the subject.