86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'86 22r Pickup Clamp on fuel line?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'86 22r Pickup Clamp on fuel line?

Hi All! First time poster here. I do apologize if this has been covered in some way prior, I've searched all over, but haven't really known what to search for...

I would also like to point out that i am no mechanic, simply an avid diy'er with somewhat limited experience working on vehicles, but very mechanically able in other areas. And am very good at researching and learning the right way of doing things.

So, I bought an 86 22r pickup a couple weeks ago, for next to nothing. I would really like to turn it into a decent, reliable and fun, daily driver. The guy i bought it from claimed that it sat for 5 years before he got it (1 month before he sold it to me). It didn't run when he got it. But he did get it running before selling it to me, and has been consistently running fine to this day.

This is what he informed me about the car: 1. It had rust in the fuel tank (lots n lots), of course. He got as much out as he could without dropping the tank, and installed a Mr Gasket Clearview inline filter before the carb. 2. He mentioned something about not getting enough fuel to the engine at first (probably do to the nasty tank glogging?), and after he got it clean(ish), it started to flood...

So here is where my question comes into play: He clamped a pair of vice grips onto the fuel line before the clearview filter (which is installed before the carb). Do you think he did this to limit the flow of fuel? Or to help "filter" the rust from the tank?

I would love to simply ask him, but i cannot get ahold of him. And i will be posting some pictures at some point tomorrow.

I ordered a Por15 tank clean and seal kit and a new fuel pump to start with. And will probably be replacing the carb as well, at some point. But i would, of course, like to get the whole fuel system taken care of with as little expense as possible.

Please, any information of ANY KIND would be extremely helpful.

And i apologize if this post is just a huge jumbled mess of confusion. I will answer any questions to the best of my ability, and will post pictures of anything any of you feel would be helpful.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2014, 12:07 PM

Well cool. Glad your here. Take the clamp off and see what happens. The carb is probably clogged with the crap from the fuel tank and needs cleaned out. The crap probably made the float stick open and flood. I would keep changing the fuel filter and not the other stuff. Unless you just feel better doing it. Some seafoam in the tank will clean it pretty good. I would run a can through at each fill up til the fuel filter looks like it will stay clean for a while.

Does it run good now or not? The clamps are not the way to go long term.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:31 AM

Thank you so much for the info Romans. I actually haven't ordered the por15 kit yet, so i will definitely wait on that. I changed the fuel filter yesterday, and will continue to do so as needed. And i will start throwing in some seafoam at each fill up. Hopefully that will take care of it.

And yes, it does seem to be running just fine.