Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

$77.00 Paint job... PartII

Old 10-02-2007, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should throw in some premier paint before painting your truck.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:48 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Guardian_Saint
You should throw in some premier paint before painting your truck.
This kind of paint you dont use primer with at all. its actually made for boats.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow looks great! I'll probably do that come spring time after I find some fenders
Old 10-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info highway. Well I put the second coat on yesterday and it looks good, but the lighting was not good and I have more runs now. It also has some wrinkling or what looks like waves from the brush I think. I'm not sure WTH, but I think I'm going to wetsand this last coat with 800, then spray the last coat on. I duno, but 220-320 seems too rough to sand with. It's a LOT of work, I will tell you that. Going at a slow pace trying to be careful, it probably takes 4-5 hours to paint the truck. I don't know if I can handle that anymore haha. I have a lot of light spots as well, so spraying should solve that. *I hope*

Last edited by Djlarroc; 10-03-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:05 PM

doesnt require a clear coat?
Old 10-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

Nope it's a 1 stage paint so how it looks wet is how it looks dry. Has a really nice shine and it's supposed to be very tough. It's marine paint so it supposed to stand up to saltwater and such. I really like it.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
any progress?
Old 10-03-2007, 05:04 PM

Are you gonna wetsand and buff the final coat ?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:41 PM

how is the orange peel on final coat w/o wetsand and buff
Old 10-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jay351
any progress?
Not til Saturday. I'm taking a break for a couple of days, but I think I'm gona wetsand tomo or Fri with 800 and have it ready to spray on Sat.

Originally Posted by highway
Are you gonna wetsand and buff the final coat ?
Ya, I'm gona wetsand the 2nd coat, then spray, then wetsand the 3rd coat with like 2k grit & buff.

Originally Posted by ks_yota
how is the orange peel on final coat w/o wetsand and buff
There is some orange peel, where I didn't hit it with the brush soon enough and it dried w/the bubbles creating orange peel. The sections I got right away, came out smoove as a baby's bottom.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Outside pics!!

Well here are some more shots of the 1st coat being wetsanded and also of the second coat. It looks pretty decent. Only thing, I don't like is it kind of has an orangish tint to it.

Wetsand passenger:

Wetsand front:

Wetsand driver:

2nd coat in sunlight:

Waddaya think?
Old 10-04-2007, 11:48 AM

spraying this stuff.

I painted a boat with this stuff and sprayed it. I have to add thinner to use a spray gun. It did not have the same glossy finish that a rolled on application has. I had to touch up some spots and brushed some on those spots. The brushed on paint is much more glossy than the sprayed on paint. You may want to do a test to see it spraying is the way you want to go for the last coat. Let me know how it works.

Mike
Old 10-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info. What did you use as a thinner? I am using regular mineral spirits. I have heard from other members & forums, that the odorless mineral spirits does not work as well as regular. What I don't like about rolling so far, is it is really tedious work and the paint smell is really strong. It took me about 4-5 hours and I still had light/dark spots. I'm thinking the spray will leave a more even coat.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
Thanks for the info. What did you use as a thinner? I am using regular mineral spirits. I have heard from other members & forums, that the odorless mineral spirits does not work as well as regular. What I don't like about rolling so far, is it is really tedious work and the paint smell is really strong. It took me about 4-5 hours and I still had light/dark spots. I'm thinking the spray will leave a more even coat.
It may leave a more even coat, but will you be happy with a duller finish? The duller finish will make it look more like a "Dupli-Color" paint job in my opinion. This may be where a rust color primer/sealer coat would have helped out. I know the pics don't show what you are seeing, but it looks pretty damn good to me. I'm definitely considering this for mine as it is getting really scratched up from trail riding.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:33 PM

Looks good, did you use a flat sanding block when you wetsanded ? In the pics i see what appears to be trails left when you wetsand with bare hands and your fingers leave marks/grooves and not making it totally flat surface. looks good tho and be sure to post up the final pics.

highway
Old 10-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gator
It may leave a more even coat, but will you be happy with a duller finish? The duller finish will make it look more like a "Dupli-Color" paint job in my opinion. This may be where a rust color primer/sealer coat would have helped out. I know the pics don't show what you are seeing, but it looks pretty damn good to me. I'm definitely considering this for mine as it is getting really scratched up from trail riding.
Thanks. I thinned the roll on job with mineral spirits as well, so I think if I spray, it shouldn't change to much because it will be slighly thinner & with the same chemicals.
Originally Posted by highway
Looks good, did you use a flat sanding block when you wetsanded ? In the pics i see what appears to be trails left when you wetsand with bare hands and your fingers leave marks/grooves and not making it totally flat surface. looks good tho and be sure to post up the final pics.

highway
I tried to use the block 1st, but it was really hard to contour to the shape of the truck. I mainly used my hand and was feeling if it was smooth or not with the bottom of my palm following the sandpaper under my fingers. You could be right though. I have to wetsand again today, so I'll keep a closer eye...
Old 10-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

Djlarroc, i am going to drive to denver an terrorize the town with my 4runner, and people will think it is you our trucks are now twinkies. LOL
Old 10-05-2007, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Well come on up. I need some help actually haha. Hey, so do our paint jobs look pretty similar? I swear my paint sometimes looks orange. I wanted more of a red, but I'll just have to get used to it.

Oh! and you guys are right about the grit. I used 800 last night to start the final wetsand and I was pretty much scrubbing the paint. Then I dropped to 600 and it wasn't that much easier. The only thing else I had was 220 and that was too rough. 320 and the next step up is about right. Damn this paint is tough!!!

Last edited by Djlarroc; 10-05-2007 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
Well come on up. I need some help actually haha. Hey, so do our paint jobs look pretty similar? I swear my paint sometimes looks orange. I wanted more of a red, but I'll just have to get used to it.

Oh! and you guys are right about the grit. I used 800 last night to start the final wetsand and I was pretty much scrubbing the paint. Then I dropped to 600 and it wasn't that much easier. The only thing else I had was 220 and that was too rough. 320 and the next step up is about right. Damn this paint is tough!!!
why are you wet sanding it are you going to buff it? good luck buffing 220 scratches
Old 10-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DudeBud
why are you wet sanding it are you going to buff it? good luck buffing 220 scratches
Lol...sorry I can see how that came accross...NO WETSAND W/220. I knew it was way too rough, and I didn't have 320, so I had to work the shoulder & elbow w/600. It's the final wetsand before the 3rd & final coat and I was planning on wetsanding the 3rd coat w/2000 grit, then buffing. As tough as this paint is though, I might have to use 1500.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $77.00 Paint job... PartII