Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

4runner Softtop/Canback Question

Old 01-02-2010, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4runner Softtop/Canback Question

I am working on my wagoneer to make it a can back.

I am mounting the top to the rear of the roof with a setup like what is used for the 4runner top. I am using a piece of metal with tabs to clamp the top to the roof.

My question is.. how is your top sealed? Are you just relying on the top material to keep moisture out? or is there a gasket of some sort? I was wondering there was a universal gasket or rubber product that is like a "T" and fits between the soft top material and the roof when clamped, and the top part of the T will try to keep water from pooling between the material.

Please let me know what you have used to seal this, or show me with pics. Either homemade or what the aftermarket soft tops are using.

Thanks!!
Old 01-02-2010, 07:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the 4runners have a firm rubber gasket at the back of the cab. It makes the seal to the hard top. Canback has a metal bar with tabs. The tabs pull the bar tight to the gasket in similar fashion. You should be able to duplicate this with home weatherstripping or a liftback gasket from some donor suv. I think I have a pic on my laptop I'll post it later. I'm on my phone right now.

you don't need a t. You need to pinch the gasket between the two sides, not trry to overlap.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:51 AM

So the soft top will utilize the original toyota gasket? If so, that is what i needed to know. From the writeups i have seen with the toyota softtop, that part is not on there. Thanks!!
Old 01-02-2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by DanStew
So the soft top will utilize the original toyota gasket? If so, that is what i needed to know. From the writeups i have seen with the toyota softtop, that part is not on there. Thanks!!
the can back frame attaches just like the hard top does, in every way. the bolts to the bed rails ARE longer tho. and at the back, at the tailgate, the top comes with a tape on snap strip. mine, bought used, was destroyed, so i just mounted snaps to the tail gate. your custom job looks like it will need a rail that goes all the way around since it doesn't open. here's a pic of the front piece. the flexible bar has the L tabs which pull it tight against the side of the cab roof. as it pulls together, it pinches the gasket that the hard top usually lays on top of. from the outside you can't see much of it once its pinched in there, just like a hardtop. you can see it underneath in this pic if you look closely.

the side rails have 1/4" foam tape on the bottom, and bolt to the bedrails just like the hard top. snaps are drilled into the front flexible bar and the side rails. I RECOMMEND "COMMON SENSE SNAPS" not regular snaps. canvas stretches when hot and wet and shrinks when it cools and dries. i cannot snap my back two snaps anymore, and sometimes i feel like i'm wrestling an alligator trying to get the sides snapped down.

good luck! nice rig (for a jeep, heheh)

Old 01-02-2010, 09:44 AM

Thanks a bunch for the pics!!! I am making the frame work pretty much the same way but i am snapping the sides to the body. On this truck the top of the bed rails have a lip so i cannot bolt angle iron onto it like the 4runner soft top. I will post pics later. I have to decide on where the bows will go. I didnt know the first bow was that close to the roofline, i was going for one in th ecenter of the bed, and then one at the end for the rear. Does the bow that far forward aid in tension of the soft top?
Old 01-02-2010, 09:46 AM

Oh and one more question, on that bracket that holds teh top to the truck, are those tabs flat with the edge of the horizontal main piece or is it stepped back a little bit?
Old 01-02-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by DanStew
Oh and one more question, on that bracket that holds teh top to the truck, are those tabs flat with the edge of the horizontal main piece or is it stepped back a little bit?
the bows are what keep the top tight. Straps on the underside go around pairs of bars and pull tight like backpack straps.

for you i'd recommend the front snap strip (with regular snaps) and then a fromt bar about 2" back and a back bar at the tail end. You'd run the straps from each end, over that end, then down to the opposite end and back. You'l have plenty of tension to eliminate sag.

the L tabs on the front snap bar are attached with screws, and the hole in the tab is ovaled. So they're slightly adjustable. But ideally you want them flush.

common sense snaps down each side and at the taill will work best. Snaps are a bitch once the canvas shrinks.

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 01-02-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:47 AM

Yeah after I get it all together i will have to bring it to a canvas shop and get them to sew in some straps to tighten it down. I have been trying to do it as cheap as I can but I do not have a machine to sew this fabric. But at least it is good practice, I originally hoped to use the fabric for the 4runner but turns out it would not have been enoguh.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:18 AM
WJC

Pics of the finished project would be great if you can!!
Old 01-13-2010, 08:59 PM

I too have been looking into making my own Canback soft top because paying $1,400 is just not gonna happen. I found the same SUNBRELLA material that CANBACK uses for $30 a yard thats 60" wide. I measured and i would need 3 yards so thats $90 just for the black canvas. Then the clear plastic used for windows..gotta check prices at marine stores or homedepot and im still deciding how im going to attach it to the front of the cab. I need it to be water tight so i was thinking either thick velcro strap going across the whole front on the edge and snaps worked into there right behind the velcro.. I Love the look of the Canback but i like how the soft topper folds back like a convertible so i will be doing one tube to give shape to the rear and a smaller tube beginning in the middle of that tube leaning forward to brace the middle part of the top. You can see what im talking bout in the pic below.

I wanna follow this for ideas.. Good luck..