86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4runner cb radio antenna

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4runner cb radio antenna

I am looking at using a magnet mount for my cb antenna on a 94 4runner.

what are some good ways you have routed your antenna cable to the outside of your vehicle?

i primarily dont want it to be seen very much or for water to leak in.
if theres one thing i hate, its water inside my 4runner
Old 05-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I got the Wilson 2000 CB antenna. I drilled a hole in my roof and hardmounted it. I can unscrew the antenna when not in use and there is a cap included for the base. I caulked the permanent plate and have had no leaks... yet.

Antenna line runs under headliner, down B-Pillar and under the step plate at the door to the dash. Permanent, invisible and out of harms way.

Problem with a magnet mount is they get knocked off through low branches and such. That Wilson 2000 is very long, but gets great reception and broadcasts very well.

I forgot it was on one time and backed into my garage. Bent a 90 about 1" up from the base. Thought it was toast... but I bent it back straight and it didn't snap. Still working great to this day.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:50 PM

I have a 40+ year old magnet antenna from my dad gave to me. I ended up puttin it on the front of my grill guard cause my cab is line-x'ed and the removable top is fiberglass... I think it looks pretty good.

What I'd really like to know, is if anyone's made a radio/cb antenna combination that mounts right up to where the factory radio antenna is. My antenna's gone, and wouldn't mind consolidating.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:23 AM

im not going to drill a hole in the roof to hardmount it, it just isnt worth it to me.

Swampthing, Ive actualy been thinking about doing that seeing as my power antena is broken and basicaly falling apart.only problem i can see so far is finding a grommet to seal it. and making a mounting bracket. that shouldnt be too hard.

if i do end up doing this ill post a write-up for it since it actually is a great idea. firestik even sells an adapter that doubles it as a radio antenna!

actually, this doesnt seem like an optimal antenna placement for cb performance...what the hell, ill probably do it anyways
Old 05-05-2007, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about off the back of your runner? that's where mine is mounted by the tail gate.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

my k40 is mounted on the back left corner of the hood, easily reachable by me if i need to remover the antenna quickly. i have good transmit/receive from that spot and with the cover on, people think its some sort of satallite or shark fin style antenna.

lee
Old 05-06-2007, 09:18 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think 4crawler has a writeup about how to do a CB antenna where the stock antenna is.

I would avoid magnet mounts - no matter where you put them, they are ALWAYS getting knocked off. Mine is on the rear exo, but you could use one of the trunk mount brackets and do it in the similar place attaching to the tailgate.

The Wilson whip antennas are AWESOME, but pricey.

I've broken two Wilson fiberglass antennas and recently changed to a stainless center load "Hustler" - something like this:

I am sure I would have broke another fiberglass yesterday, and this one held up GREAT! Can't report on it's reception and stuff yet as I haven't got the SWR tuned in on it yet.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:50 AM

I drilled hole in my rear bumper , and mounted the antenna there , and ran the antenna wire under the carpet and out the tailgate
Old 05-06-2007, 10:07 AM

i already have a wilson 2000 trucker and i am bidding on a firestikII on ebay.

the wilson 2000 is mounted to the bumper on my pickup and it gets bad reception and transmission even when tuned.

i will check out 4 crawlers site for that wrte up.
my other action plan is using a door jamb mount by the rear gate.

i still would like to know what good ways are to get the antenna wire outsite the vehicle to thes spots and even the rear of the roof
Old 05-06-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since my power antenna works, I keep it down when I'm wheelin. For yesterdays trip to the woods, I lashed a $35 Cobra CB from WallyWorld in there under the stereo. The antenna I chose was the "Little Wil" mag mount. The coax went out the passenger door jam right to the spot next to the power antenna on the cowling, where I stuck the mag mount antanna. It did not move, and I hit lots of branches.

Trip over, antenna comes inside.
Soon as my firestick comes in, its going to be mounted on to the bracket located on my rear rock-bumper.

Last edited by misterzee; 05-06-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:14 PM

mines rear mounted on a magmount, and the cable is routed in through the rubber that runs the cable for the rear spoiler brake light, quick slit in it and reseal with some silicone.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:29 PM

Cool

The Wilson Antenna's are not that expensive. I highly recommend the Wilson 5000 magnet mount. I would recommend contacting Pacific CB Sales in California. The pricing that they offer is by far the greatest. You can find them on the internet. Give them a try!
Aloha,
Mike