Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

4 wheel woes, can someone advise? my 95 tries to engage 4 wheel while driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 4 wheel woes, can someone advise? my 95 tries to engage 4 wheel while driving

hi, read all the posts to the "4 wheel engages" thread, and i have the same problem. however, mines a 95 5 speed, and there are no references to an ADD relay or adjustments outside of the transfer case. i have removed the front axle, but does anyone know if that will harm anything on a long drive? is there a way to "shut off" the 4 wheel drive or is it all mechanical? i am so glad i found this page...you wont be i bet...i have a lot of what may seem silly questions. any help would be great! thanks
Old 11-30-2006, 05:54 PM

I got alot of stupid questions too but everyone here is glad to help diagnose by whatever description is available. I'm thankful for everyone's help around here its always fun to get on yotatech and read the posts.

Anyways I wish I could help with your problem but its beyond my current understanding of the entire system.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:42 PM

If you do not want to use the 4wd you can unplug the vacuume hose from the actuator or another fix would be to unplug the ADD relay which is located under the steering column.

When you start driving do you hear a clicking noise from the ADD relay under the steering column? That is what was happening with mine and it turned ou to be the pressure switch. If this is the case, there is a good chance that it is the pressure switch.

I got your pm - so I hope this helps. I have an automatic, so it could be a little different. - I will also copy this and reply to your pm.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:47 PM

will you explain the problem a litte better so that I can fully understand...

but the 4wd cannot enauge on its own, it takes movement of your 4wd shifter lever... your ADD solenoid may be going out, which might lock the ADD, but that wont engauge 4wd... there should be an ADD fuse you could pull, but seing as its winter I would get it fixed.... but thats just a guess based on your title.. need a better description...
Old 12-01-2006, 07:59 AM

thanks for taking the time

yeah, it does/will try to engage 4 wheel while running. huge chunky crunchy noise and it demands i shift into 4 wheel, so, technically, you're right. the symptoms are: it grinds and clunks, i then have to shift it into 4 wheel which it does fine, then try back into 2 wheel, it wont stay. those are the only symptoms really. both transmission people and dealership said it was the forks on the transfer case shifter and one probably broke off and the whole thing needs replacing. i didnt nor dont want to believe it. i already put a few thousand worth of labor due to head gasket, water pump that they didnt do while head was being redone, and toyota wouldnt admit a fault as it "wasnt one of the vin numbers covered". babble babble, then i did the starter myself, brakes, rotors etc. i'll try the ADD relay, thanks seng. yes, it does make the click noise under dash. again, any more help would be a gift!
Old 12-01-2006, 04:03 PM

There is a spring right below your t-case shifter that holds the shifter into place.
If you pop off you t-case shifter (4 bolts) you should see something like this.
2WD / 4WD Arm> [ ] <High/Low/Neutral Arm
The spring sits directly above that and hold the shifter. Make sure your spring and/or shifter is not fowled up. The shifter should sit right in between the arms, with the spring directly over the arms and below the shifter ball. Take a looksie.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:37 PM

You could probally do the work yourself.. its pretty easy with a 5speed... but I would pop the shifters out and have a look... call some experianced xcase people, like marlin crawler.. he probally even has areplacment on the shelf, used.. for a decentprice.. I got one from him for 150...
Old 12-03-2006, 07:14 PM

thank you

havent been able to check, but thanks fr all the suggestions. makes me hopeful, and i hope i can bug you all again.