Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

4 Wheel drive noise.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 Wheel drive noise.

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a 93 toyota pickup 22re 5spd 4wheel drive. I just put it on the road last week. On my way to work I,ll use the 4 wheel when needed, snow ice etc.. This morning It was making a real loud humming noise almost like a wheel bearing, but very loud,with vibrations. At first it sounded like it was coming from the passenger side off and on. So I stopped unlocked ther hubs and put it in 2wheel. It stopped but I investagated further, the truck makes the noise only in 4 wheel ho or low, and you can lock or onlock the hubs and it still makes the noise. Also the started to get even louder when I tryed this. If its in 4wheel and the hubs arent locked the trasmission starts whinding real fast to. If anyone could help me I would be very grateful im a bit lost because I havent worked on many 4wheel drives and I love my truck. Thanks DJ
Old 02-23-2008, 02:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey bud, I have the same problem with my truck but I also know I have a bad hub in the R/F. But it could also be that your binding up. Your 4wheel drive doesnt like being on if no tires are loseing traction in return your going to bind up your drivetrain. So check your hubs if they are any good (you can rebuild them). Also try wheeling in mud, my truck doesnt seem to do this when offroading, usually just on the road (winter conditions).

Thanks,
Mario
Old 02-23-2008, 09:52 PM

I had a similar problem with my 94 when i first got it.
What I found was the add system was not working, and the fork in the front diff was not fully in the unlocked position. I recommend, puttin the truck in
2hi, getting underneath with a vacuum pump, and check that actuator on the front diff. I bypassed my ADD system completely when I got my manual hubs. I locked the actuator on the diff, then capped off both lines.
Whenever I want 4hi or 4lo, I get out and lock my hubs.
PITA, but pretty much bulletproof.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:39 AM

Thanks guys, yesterday i was on a dirt road with some snow and ice, i locked the hubs but didnt put it in 4 wheel the noises started and if i hit the brakes a little i can make the noise stop, so im thinking the hubs are bad. But if thats not the problem sounds like you guys have some great ideas for fixing her. Thanks anymore suggestions would be much appreciated. Also the kid i bought the truck from said he had just pulled the hubs and greased them, maybe he did it wrong.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:47 AM

probably did it wrong, he may have put the springs back in wrong, or had some contaminated grease.... is it hard to lock and unlock them>??? what about your CV on the front driveshaft? if it doesnt make sound in 2wd with the hubs locked then it may just be the driveline before the hubs .... go under there and check to see if it has any play in the cv's ... just grab em and wiggle as hard as you can... if it is loose replace
Old 02-25-2008, 03:49 AM

The cvs seem to be in good shape, the hubs turn easy.I was talking to a friend on the phone who knows about 4 wheel yotas and he said it sounds like the hubs, it will make noise when the hubs are locked in 4 wheel and 2 wheel. Thanks for all the help because if its not the hubs I have some good ideas now. Im just waiting for a little warmer weather to work on it. I hate cold.