86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3vze power option?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze power option?

i was thinkin about power mods for teh 3vze adn one option that came to mind that i have never seen brought up was high compression pistons. Has anybody tried puttin in some higher compressions pistons in the 3vze? I would think they could create some noticeable power gains am i right? I just thought it was interesting that it hasnt been brought up. Lets hear your thoughts
Old 01-19-2006, 08:51 PM

Well knowing that 3vze engines have trouble with head gaskets already, it seems that the head gaskets would be more prone to fail with high compression pistons. Its just a thought.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:05 PM

indeed this is true but what if u were to replace them with stronger adn better sealing metal headgaskets?
Old 01-19-2006, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea I talked to Ted today about working with cometic to get a MLS gasket made for the 3.0. He felt that the ones he has now with the steel slipperplate liner are very very strong. He has a guy with a supercharger pumping 12# boost with no problems so far. So it might just be good to do for pistons. No worries about the bottom end ont the 3.0 thats for sure.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by suprathepeg
Yea I talked to Ted today about working with cometic to get a MLS gasket made for the 3.0. He felt that the ones he has now with the steel slipperplate liner are very very strong. He has a guy with a supercharger pumping 12# boost with no problems so far. So it might just be good to do for pistons. No worries about the bottom end ont the 3.0 thats for sure.
multilayer steel HG's for our 3.0s? Oh God please let it be true!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 08:36 AM

arnt all new toyota HG's MLS now? As far as i know they are...
Old 01-20-2006, 09:04 AM

anybody have order info on these hg's?
Old 01-20-2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by stumpbum21
anybody have order info on these hg's?
Basicly they don't exist but they could. Like I said Ted at engnbldr seems to think that his new HGs and new bolts are actually a good fix for the HG problem already (those are both new products). If you want to seriously start building for power on these engines then a steel HG would be an ideal option. I'll post up my conversations with cometic this evening when I get on my home pc for more details.

I think that with a little work you can actually get a lot of power out of these things the problem is that most if not all of it is in the top end, tuning and cams may solve this to some degree but you have to remember that it is only a 3.0L engine so any big power will have to be in the high end. I'd like to see 200hp before redline with my heads/intake and weasy's cams. We'll know soon enough it it works I'm tearing into the bottom end for my project engine tommorrow and then its off to my machinest and hopefully on the dyno by end of Feb all things working out that is.

Would you guys be interested in a comunity effort to convince cometic to make a MLS HG for the 3.0? It could very well happen.

If the MLS proves itself and the heads, intake and cams do too, then we are looking at a serios future for performance 3.0s in the near future and no shady DOA to deal with. It really is up to your guys who make up the market to descide if you want this.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:26 PM

the coolent jackets in teh 3vz-e need working on as well...that is an issue in regards to burning up valves which is the next commen problem to the HG going.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:23 PM

Umm, I guess. I've never heard that before altough they may make for a higher then "normal" exhaust temperatures the main reason for failure of the valves is the crossover pipe. You can see this with a IR heat gun, 90% of the burnt valves are 5&6. I would have no worries with a free flowing exhaust. This also helps with the HG as well, I'd say thats why toyota finally added factory headers to the 3.4 in 00 or 01.

If you are interested in building a 3.0 for power I think that we have the products available now or in the next few months to fix both of the engines major problems for little money.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:16 PM

yep Depending on the condition of the 3.0L here and if i can get it all up and running i should have the cams done mid to late feb.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Basicly they don't exist but they could. Like I said Ted at engnbldr seems to think that his new HGs and new bolts are actually a good fix for the HG problem already (those are both new products)
__________________________________________________ _____________

Hi! *Hope you don't mind an old man's opinion, I do take a bit of a minor issue with a couple of comments and no offense is intended.

Yep, I think I have the 3VZE reusable head bolt problem solved, there are a bunch in service and they do work. Next is studs kits from 190,000# tensile stuff, still in the planning stage and I have to do a few crackers and cheese meetings with engineers yet and I hate those.

The 3VZE has one problem of exhaust gas temperature, just my opinion. You saw it also and came up with a couple of sharp possible fixes, shows you are thinking.

I even put a heat gun on a running engine and the temp at #6 is around 100° higher than the rest of the manifold, which I concede is a lousy test limited to one running engine that was simply eating exhaust valves on #5 & #6 cylinder.

*And driving me crazy, to be blunt.

You will never guess how we fixed that engine. It had been rebuilt by a local shop, Motorcrate I think they are called, couple of miles away from us here in Portland. The machine work was just fine but a destroked piston was used, this has the net effect of LOWERING the static compression ratio. I didn't realize this until I finally got fed up and told him to bring me the entire engine or we wouldn't work on his @#$%$#@ heads anymore!

*Well, I was more polite than that.

Once we had the engine apart for it's 4th valve job, I found myself not wanting to see the gentleman, nice as he was about everything, ever again.

I checked the deck hieght and found the piston head about .018" down the cylinder, (That is a lot) so before reassembly we decked the block to zero. The manifold temps dropped right back to normal, still higher on #5 & #6 but within livable specs. It is now a year and no phone calls, which doesn't mean nothing broke but it's a good sign..

*Just something to look for if you run into a problem after a rebuild, this one was stackup because of clipping the rods a bit too much and a destroked piston..

Now: On the Fastruck & limited Sportsman (late model too) rules a few years ago, all of a sudden NASCAR restricted us to 10:one, then 9:one...YIKES! We hated everybody in tech, bunch of idiots. Suddenly we were melting headers, burning valves, head gaskets, all sorts of problems. Huge EGT problems.

This was all solved by changing the cam profiles, we took advantage of the heat, and we now see even better numbers from the 9 to ones than we did under open rules and some 13 to one and up powerplants.

Some of this goes against everything we knew just a decade or so ago.

So your idea of a higher compression powerplant just might work with this design, it should cool the EGT and be a simple power fix. Gotta watch the quench and fuel quality, though.

There should be something in the cams, though, I never finished when I was experimenting so I am not sure. Then when I got sick, some things that were easy for me I just plain forgot I knew how to do, odds are high I will never get back to that.

Relax, I am just f-f-f-fine....*LOL**..

The one young man who is way ahead of me is Tim over at DOA and he is always hunting, we have had a few email conversations and I kinda enjoy reading of his successes. He really does seem pleasant and knowledgable. I will bet that one day he will be a crabby old coot like me and set in his ways, too, fun to think about.

He now has a 200 H/P option for the 3VZE out and working for quite a few folks, I am hoping one locally breaks down so I can "snoop"...*LOL**..*Not that I would EVER do anything like that..... NICE writeup in the current 4X4Toyota Owner magazine, a publication that is up and coming and everyone really should subscribe to, they offer great How-to articles on our Toyotas.

I would go experiment but understand I really am getting a little bit long in the tooth here, it's time for you young folks to do your thing and think. Besides, I have my hands full trying to make 160 out of a driveable 22RE, so far we have touched 150, just barely. The computer says it can't quite be done and still sound like a stock Toyota, we shall see about that.

AND there is this 4G63 Mitsubishi engine sitting in the corner calling my name, and I really DO want to go fiddle with it to see what I can make it do.

I am also interested in the Cometic piece, I do like the current steel lined slipperplate pieces from Rockproducts but if I can find something even better....???....*EB
Old 01-21-2006, 03:24 AM

Now to find a higher compression piston for the 3vze. . .

EB, always lurking, always watching. Thank God somebody is.

I'd like to see one of Tim's engines too, on a dyno and maybe whats inside. I just can't bring myself to send him any money because of his reputation and the fact that he has dissapeared from the boards. The fact that he is still in business even with his rep says that there is a good demand for these puppies though.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:39 AM

yea this will be interesting....the cam profile does help with the temps by getting rid of the exhaust more effectivly then the stock ones. We have discussed this with my machiest and have selected a base profile to work with that will help out. I also am going to be testing several running 3vz-es around here with a temp sensor just to see if its all similar and get some average base numbers with stock cams vs the ones being made here......more and more testing