Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3VZE Engine Coolant Drain Bolt size ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3VZE Engine Coolant Drain Bolt size ?

Hi,
In the final stages of my rebuilt 3vze transplant. I forgot to take the engine coolant drain bolt off of the old motor, which is now at the rebuilder on the old core. I didn't figure it out until I went to fill the engine with cooolant and it spilled all over the garage floor. The dealer has to special order it and does not have any way to tell the size. So I am trying to figure out what size it is so I can buy the right size from the hardware store.

So does anyone know the size, length and thread pitch?
The toyota parts guy said it could be some sort of pipe thread since it bolted into the water jacket of the block.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:11 PM

The bolt is located in front of the oil coooler on the drivers side of the motor.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:53 AM

Are there 2 drain plugs?
The FSM says plug(s) plural, but the dealer shows 1 on the microfiche.Help!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:43 AM

installed the one on the drivers side, still leaking onn the passengers side. cra*, must be two of em.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

I would just call up your local Toyota dealer and get with the parts department - depending on where you live.

Sounds like you might have it figured out though.

Fink
Old 01-11-2009, 03:16 PM

I already talked to the parts guy, His microfiche says 1 coolant drain bolt.
The factory service manual say engine coolant drain plug(s) as in two!
My problem is i am not sure. I installed the one on the drivers side. But cooolant is still leaking from the pass side. So either there is another plug on the pass side or my rebuilt long block has some sort of crack or something in it that was missed. Either way the plugs are something that should have been done at the same time the motormounts were swaped from the old block to the new block, so trying to do it after you bolt every thing on to the motor is a biach. I can't see the one on the passenger side if there is one. I have a pic of the old block and it looks like one is there but not sure.
Where are the experts today?
Old 01-11-2009, 05:16 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
I'm not your expert, so I may be no help.

1) I do read the FSM as you do, it seems to imply there are two block drains. But the picture is un-characteristically useless; personally, I've never found even one block drain.

2) I've seen photos on this site of a passenger side block drain. It's usually described as a "brass" bolt. The location is right behind the a/c compressor, so I don't think it can be seen w/o removing the a/c. Or, maybe you could peer through the wheel well.

3) My copy of the dealer's microfiche (actually, computer file), shows ONE plug on the driver's side (11415A Plug, Water drain cock), about 6" above the point where the oil dipstick enters the block. I assume that is the one you replaced.

So, I can confirm (sort of) what you've heard, but I can't advance your inquiry. But I sure would like to know what the right answer is.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:50 PM

Yes, you are the expert!
I did replace the plug on the drivers side above the dipstick mounting hole and coolant still dribbles out from the pass side behind the a/c compressor, so that must be where the other one is, or isn't right now because its leaking coolant. I am kicking myself because I didn't do this when the motor was out of the truck and its a biach to get to now. I will have to go backwards a bit, and take the a/c compressor off. Arrrrgh!
I will call the guy that rebuilt the long block to confirm the passenger side plug and possibly get a free one from him. Thanks for the help and I will be posting a picture of the plug.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:52 PM

There are two plugs! Ok so heres what ended up happening, the place that rebuilt the motor only put one of the plugs in and it was only hand tight. That was the passenger side plug which took about three hours to take the ac compressor, powersteering pump and all the other crap that was in the way and reinstall. I refilled the radiator with fluid and no leak Yeah! The engine place was nice enough to let me come and look at one of the other 3vze's that they had in stock and there were two plugs in it. They even gave me a free plug.
\The passenger side plug is located behind the top of the ac compressor bracket in front of the motor mount. I only wish that i had knew all this before I put the motor back in the runnr.
Live and Learn!
For all those that wonder heres a pic of the plug, I think the plug has tapered threads.
Attached Thumbnails 3VZE Engine Coolant Drain Bolt size ?-010.jpg  
Old 06-02-2018, 09:24 AM

1995 4runner engine block coolant drain plug location

I know this is an old post but yes the engine block coolant drain plug for my 1995 4runner 3.0 auto is just past the a/c compressor, the bolt has a blob of paint on it and is 14mm. I just drained my a few minutes ago and you can get to it via the passenger wheel well with a long socket extension. Does fit through all the hoses, and I was able to drain without moving the a/c compressor. Just a FYI for anyone trying to do this.