Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3VZE Cam Plug Retainer Debacle

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3VZE Cam Plug Retainer Debacle

I installed new valve cover gaskets as per the FSM, pea sized rtv in each right angle corner of the outside caps, all leak free. Forgot all about the cam plugs of course.So my drivers side cam plug may be leaking a bit on the driver's side. I went to inspect it, and it is pretty hard to tell. I was able to snap a picture by shoving my phone down there against the firewall and I noticed something a little off:

Why did the last guy do this? He installed the cam plug retainer upside down. It is clearly misaligned. The cam plug is definitely not original, as the rubber feels quite new. I can see the rtv around it so it looks like it was installed right.

Why would he install the retainer upside down? Is this some sort of 3VZE tip or trick? Should I leave it alone? Or did he just screw up when blindly bolting it back on?

I am almost afraid to attempted flipping it around, but it will give me the opprtunity to brake clean the surface of the cam plug and run a smooth bead of rtv around it. The bottom of the retainer ring has fresh oil on it, but the cam cap seems itself seems rather dry. This all began because I have a dripping leak on the exhaust pipe directly below it. What else can leak there? Head Gasket?

Last edited by 89fourrunner; 09-01-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Previous owner just goofed.

Remove and reinstall brackets like they should be.

The FSM does not indicate that any sealer be used, although many do just because of the potential leak issue and hassle involved in replacing them.

Cheers
Old 09-01-2016, 01:02 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
The retainer doesn't press hard enough on the cam plug to make applying rtv do anything. The seal is from the rubber of the cam plug getting squeezed by the cam cap.

I'm not 100% sure of the function of the retainer; my guess is that it helps during installation to prevent the plug from popping out. But once everything is together, the retainer doesn't appear to do anything.

I agree, though, with Andy A. Just flip it over so it can do whatever it is that it's supposed to do.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:53 PM

Thanks foe the quick information. I cannot for the life of me figure out where the oil is coming from thats dripoing directly onto the exhaust pipe. It seems like it would be the valve cover gasket or plug, because it is dripping onto the exhaust ditectly under it, just before the heat sheild for the exhaust. It is enough to cause smoke, so until i fugure it out I have built a shield that acts as a slide and diverts the drip away from the exhaust, at least when the trucks not stopping or going. Like I mentioned earlier the cam plug retainer ring is wet with fresh oil at its lowest point, yet the gasket and the plug seem dry.

Last edited by 89fourrunner; 09-01-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
The only other thing I can think of off the bat besides the cam plugs or valve cover gaskets is a bad application of sealer or no sealer on the underside of rear most cam bearing cap. There are four little grooves on the underside of it which one runs a tiny bead of fipg.

Cheers
Old 09-01-2016, 07:52 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
With all oil leaks, gravity is not your friend (every oil leak looks like the main seal; you've at least narrowed it quite a bit).

I would suggest you get some spray engine degreaser, and clean the area very carefully (you can use a garden hose). Then start it up, run for a few minutes, and check carefully. In this case, you might want to invest in a mirror (though the camera trick worked pretty well!)

You've followed the correct procedure when installing the valve cover gaskets, but they are STILL a common source of leaks. I've found that RTV will NOT stick to a surface that is the slightest oily; I now carefully wipe the application area with paint thinner. That is still a possibility for you. Maybe.

Good luck!
Old 09-02-2016, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
With all oil leaks, gravity is not your friend (every oil leak looks like the main seal; you've at least narrowed it quite a bit).

I would suggest you get some spray engine degreaser, and clean the area very carefully (you can use a garden hose). Then start it up, run for a few minutes, and check carefully. In this case, you might want to invest in a mirror (though the camera trick worked pretty well!)

You've followed the correct procedure when installing the valve cover gaskets, but they are STILL a common source of leaks. I've found that RTV will NOT stick to a surface that is the slightest oily; I now carefully wipe the application area with paint thinner. That is still a possibility for you. Maybe.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I actually did the valve cover gasket job several times in a row because of this leak, and the final time i used a razor blade and brake cleaner and got everything, including the right angle corners so spotless you could make a squeak running your finger across the surface (well, maybe not, but very clean and oil free). I also used Permatex "The Right Stuff" 1 minute grey formula. I really cannot find any oil whatsoever on the outside of the gaskets, which are fel-pro by the way.

I do have oil on the cam plug retainer ring that is upside down, right at its lowest point, so oil is definitely coming from somewhere back there. Ironically, the cam plug SEEMS dry all around its perimeter. Logic would tell me then it must be leaking back there somewhere. Logic would also say it is not - because the damn gasket is dry and so is the cam plug hahahaha.

It is truly a fire hazard, that is why I built that shield to prevent too much dripping on the exhaust.

Other than that this truck runs very well, outside of a mysterious intermediate bouncing and low idle when warm and stopping at stop lights or coming to a stop. That clears after 10 seconds of sitting at idle at said stop light.

I know there is an oil return channel in that back corner that could leak if the head gasket erodes there.... The head gasket recall was done at around 90,000 miles. I have the entire complete service history of the vehicle, and I see in 1994 to 1996 he battled valve cover leaks, he had them replaced five times in two years.

Last edited by 89fourrunner; 09-02-2016 at 05:07 AM.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:08 AM

I was able to turn the retainer around without removing the valve cover, which took a little patience. One of the two bolts was soaked in oil. I cleaned it all up, inspected the plug and it all looks good. I covered the plug with a thin layer of the right stuff and bolted down the retainer. The next time Im in there i will clean that up and replace the plug. I ran it for a few hours and the retainer was no longer wet with oil so time will tell.

I have 361,000 miles on this 3vze so maybe its time to switch to a high mileage oil with a slightly thicker viscosity. Feel like I am always chasing leaks. PCV is only a year old.

Last edited by 89fourrunner; 09-03-2016 at 04:11 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe you’ll know if this is an issue.

i just did valve covers as they were leaking again so I did it again and did the cam plugs as well. However whoever did this last broke off on of the retaining plate bolts on the passenger side. I put RTV between the cam plug and the retaining plate and put it back on with just the one bolt. Seems to be pretty tight and the plate doesnt rotate at all. Do you think this will be ok? I’m not sure how i’ll get the broken off bolt out of the head if not.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:17 AM

I just went through changing my clutch due to what I thought was a rear seal leaking.. NOT! passenger side rear Cam plug..
You will have to have the engine out or the head off to remove the broken off bolt. No room back there at all.. If no leak, I'd ride it out... lol
Old 11-09-2019, 05:02 AM

Hmmmm.

Originally Posted by scope103
The retainer doesn't press hard enough on the cam plug to make applying rtv do anything. The seal is from the rubber of the cam plug getting squeezed by the cam cap.

I'm not 100% sure of the function of the retainer; my guess is that it helps during installation to prevent the plug from popping out. But once everything is together, the retainer doesn't appear to do anything.

I agree, though, with Andy A. Just flip it over so it can do whatever it is that it's supposed to do.
I'm sure when they built the engine they decided to put a retainer plate there for no reason.. Only somebody who has physically installed one themselves knows that it wasn't there for installation because you can put the seal in without the plate.. Now try and slide the seal through the retainer plate. Does it fit? If it does you have the wrong gasket kit or seal. It's called a retainer plate because it retains the seal from backing out. If you have to use gasket material of any type to somewhere that there is a seal, Then either 1, you're seal is no good, or 2 you bought the wrong seal. Do not wash it, Because only leaking/running oil will be clean. That's how you find out where your oil leak is from. If I were you I would replace the seal, put the retainer plate the correct way and wait a little bit and see where the oil is coming from.