86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3VZE California model not running well

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3VZE California model not running well

I have a 3VZE V6 California model that has been a big headache. Until recently it ran well. Some days better than others.
The check engine light began to come on displaying a 71 error code(specific to California models). I assume this is due to all those stupid vacuum lines.
Now, when started cold the engine seams to run smoothly but smells like it's burning rich. When the engine warms it seams to run very lean with no exhaust smell. Also, when revved up it hesitates and may even stall.
I checked all hoses for leaks. Two are capped off going nowhere.
I had installed a remanufactured engine last year. Was very careful in numbering and routing all vacuum lines entering the air intake chamber. However, several lines enter a single sensor does this order matter?
HELP!!!

I recently performed an EGR system inspection (steps 1-6).
please see link --> http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...77exhaustg.pdf
All went well except for step #5. (a-c) With engine warm I didn't get any vacuum reading @ 3500rpm. (d-f) Once again no vacuum reading. Could my EGR be bad?
any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jonwest

You likely need to complete step 6 to confirm your egr is bad. You can just attach a hose to the egr and put a vacuum on it (eg. suck on it - sorry no better way to describe it). If your engine stalls - it's becuause your egr opens as it should and therefore your egr is likely OK.

Your steps 1-5 are more focused on the signal from the VSV.

BUT - you should be aware that EGR failure does not ,as far as I know, result in a drivebility problem - i.e. your engine should run fine with a bad EGR because all the EGR does is lean out the mixture.

Your code 71 is as far as I know a sort of a fake code - it does not indicate an EGR problem but rather a temperature sensor signal out of spec. Presumably if your egr never opens, it does not recirculate exhaust gas === therefore it does not warm up === therefore you could have bad egr == or you could have a bad egr temp sensor, or your egr temp sensor wire could be snafued.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EGR vacuum modulator going bad can send a 71 code, It gets plugged with crud and water and hardens up the inside, If the above sucking test does what he says then its the EGR VacModulator or the VSV being plugged or not working, You can test that by pulling the vacuum hose returns back to the connetion under the plenuum and ether use a vacuum gauge or your tounge and WHen the engine comes to warm temp there will be a vacuun, If not, Its bad or plugged.
The 2 wires that comes out of the side just below the EGR valve (On CA models and not shown in your picture) is whats not heating up form EG and sends a code 71, Non-CA models have a resistor plugged into the connector going to the ECU.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
having the same issue with mine where can i find the temp sensor or can i replace it with the resistor? n e pics of said parts