Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3VZ-E A/T to 22RE MT Swap Cabin Wiring Help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3VZ-E A/T to 22RE MT Swap Cabin Wiring Help.

Here’s the scoop. I’m replacing the 3VZ-E A/T drive train from a 1995 4runner to a 22RE MT from a 1992 4runner.

The 95 4runner has a toast drivetrain but it will start and move around the driveway.
The 1992 4runner was an amazing all manual Toyota and was given to me by my father-in-law with a 7 month old 22RE until a drunk driver pulled out into oncoming traffic and the rest is history.

Theres no talking me out of the swap, I’ve read the pros and cons all day long with going to “Less Hp, just swap a 3.4.....” that’s out of the question. I know about the engine mounts, trans cross member and driveshafts will all need to go with the 22RE into the 95 4runner. The part that has me stumped is swapping the ECU into the all electric optioned 1995 from an all manual optioned 1992. Swapping JB the engine side of the harness is cake, but I’m not so sure about the rest of the “cabin wiring”. Help would be great. I’ve got some standard schematics, they just don’t have pin identification at the ECU for my 1992 22RE. Andy help/guidance would be great!!

P.S. I was going to originally swap the front clip from the 95 to the 92 until I found extensive frame damage on the 92 when I removed all the damaged front end body damage (core support, fender support etc)
Old 03-28-2020, 04:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I will admit that I'm a bit of a hack and if you want a super clean build this might not be for you, but I would go scorched-earth on the 95's engine-dash harness and move everything from the 92 over, gauge cluster, fuse blocks, everything. That's how the guys at my shop LS swap stuff, everything OE comes out and GM replaces it all, and given that it's all Toyota and even the same body generation I'm guessing it wouldn't take too terribly much to get it all plumbed in. What specifically is electric on the 95 that isn't on the 92? Just the doors/windows? The interior/exterior lights should all be the same, I don't think they made digital AC controls for those but I could be wrong, mine are all cable actuated and my truck was all electric besides the stick trans. And hey, I know it would be more money, but they do make adapters to put the V6 R150 gearbox behind the 22re, then you'd have a stronger gearbox and I think the cross members and stuff are the same, almost certain the driveshafts are, but don't quote me on that. I do think it's a cool swap though, the 95 has a good look to it, nice patina and a cool color. 22re 2nd gens are oddball and a lot of people would probably pay extra for one so I get wanting to do the swap.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Saturn
I will admit that I'm a bit of a hack and if you want a super clean build this might not be for you, but I would go scorched-earth on the 95's engine-dash harness and move everything from the 92 over, gauge cluster, fuse blocks, everything. That's how the guys at my shop LS swap stuff, everything OE comes out and GM replaces it all, and given that it's all Toyota and even the same body generation I'm guessing it wouldn't take too terribly much to get it all plumbed in. What specifically is electric on the 95 that isn't on the 92? Just the doors/windows? The interior/exterior lights should all be the same, I don't think they made digital AC controls for those but I could be wrong, mine are all cable actuated and my truck was all electric besides the stick trans. And hey, I know it would be more money, but they do make adapters to put the V6 R150 gearbox behind the 22re, then you'd have a stronger gearbox and I think the cross members and stuff are the same, almost certain the driveshafts are, but don't quote me on that. I do think it's a cool swap though, the 95 has a good look to it, nice patina and a cool color. 22re 2nd gens are oddball and a lot of people would probably pay extra for one so I get wanting to do the swap.
Just as I thought I had a plan moving forward, the gentleman that towed the 92 4runner from the scene of the wreck stopped by the house and said he would be able to pull the frame straight in the areas that are bent. I do plan on swapping over some front end components from the 95 to the 92. And if all is lost with the straightening of the frame I’ll go back to the swap plans!

The only things that are electric in the 95 or side view mirrors, steering wheel controls (possibly cruise? The lettering is worn away), windows, cabin light near the rear-view mirror. And some of the rear window controls are different.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Im currently doing basically the same thing but i have a rolled 1990 4runner with the 22re manual options and i have a 95 2wd with all power options and bad v6. im putting the body/interior from the 95 onto the 90 chassis. The 22re engine harness will no plug into the body or the dash of the 95 4runner

I have been unable to find any answers yet myself.