86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

302 swap is about to go down!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer;
What Camry motor are you talking about? My dad has a (93)3.0 Camry motor just laying there at his house. Its complete from top to bottom. I'm still new at this how do you subscribe to this post?
the one your dad has is the correct one, as i've heard 92 and 93 24v camrys have the same 3vze bottom end, only it's cast differently to mount transversely. that being said, the guy on another yota formus webiste used his truck bottom end and the camry heads, and a 3.4 intake manifold. i think u need the camry pistons for the valve reliefs as well, so you don't need much to do the swap now... a new water pump and camry timing belt and new head gaskets, the intake manifold and injectors and prob not much else. someone had a link on here to the guy's 24v build up somewhere. i'll see if i can find a link to it also.
time to go get another tie rod for my truck before the dealer closes...
(i HATE rust!)
Old 12-29-2007, 06:54 PM

Anybody else got anything on this? Sounds like this might be the way to go.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:59 AM

As I recall that guy had us all in suspense and then finally it came out that the combo didn't work. I might be wrong but that is barking up the wrong tree. The easiest swap is the 3.4 - the most fun is probably the 5.0 since it is so rarely done. Lots of chevotas out there so there are is a large resource of info for that swap.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:30 PM

Well I guess its back to the 5.0 swap then. Anybody got anything else on this?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:47 PM

we need an update. I know it is cold in IN but pull out the bullet heaters and get back to work Mine is coming along if your interested.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f158...runner-131424/

Mark VII Toyota's rule
Old 01-31-2008, 04:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
why not just install an electric turbine.

you would be silent.
and
depending on the turbine, you could rip the rubber right off the wheels with speed.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:25 PM

update the motor is in the works of getting some new gaskets and all the bull torn off. I'm dreading doing anything with the wiring harness. And i picked up an 85 front axle the other day for 100 bucks. So i'm just doing piddley stuff right now while i bak up some bucks for the trail gear IFS eliminator kit, 44044 springs. and i'm still contemplating what to do on the rear suspension.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm subscribed. To subscribe to a thread, look at the top of the page under "thread tools".

Frank
Old 01-31-2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by jmcbmx
update the motor is in the works of getting some new gaskets and all the bull torn off. I'm dreading doing anything with the wiring harness. And i picked up an 85 front axle the other day for 100 bucks. So i'm just doing piddley stuff right now while i bak up some bucks for the trail gear IFS eliminator kit, 44044 springs. and i'm still contemplating what to do on the rear suspension.
Yea I've been striping my motor down as well. the good thing is that I am now less scared of the wiring. seem that there are really only 3 harness's. injectors harness, O2 sensor harness, and the return harness to the ECU. Now that I've said that I am sure it will be a terror. I have done a lot of reading over on http://fordfuelinjection.com/ they are dealing with MAS air mostly but there is a good diagram of the Speed Density system and really they are similar. As for the rear suspension what are you thinking? 58inch ford F-150 rears work pretty good from what I hear. the problem with flexy rear springs is that without a antiwrap bar you will get a huge amount of axle wrap especially with the 302. the anti-wrap is really easy to build though, I have one on my 85. I am going to leave my suspension stock for now and once I get it running well I will go to SAS in front and springs in the rear with an anti-wrap bar. Keep up the good work. Hope you can stay warm, it was really cold in Arizona today 59 degrees. Sorry I had to rub that in.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:03 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Originally Posted by Schump
it WOULD be nice if every Mustang 4.9L (it ain't a 5.0...F.ound O.n R.oad D.ead rounded up!) came w/ 300hp!
i seem to remember early fox bodies having 180hp, but the # i always heard/rememberd was 210 bhp for a 5.0 if u got 300hp out of her stock, well, it mustn't have been a monday or friday at the factory, or you got lucky and one line worker had a set of cleveland heads which he stole the valves out of and shoe horned into the 5.0 heads...accidentally left them on the bench next to teh pallets of OEM brand new 5.slow heads, chugged his beer too fast, and well, you got his heads. (and a really loose set of mains and rods for that matter)

if I had to guess, add good homemade cold air intake +5hp, good set of headers, register it somewhere where they don't do emissions yet (my jetta/junka GLi 16v soon to be -T had to be tagged in blacksburg, VA cause the PO put a straight pipe in place of the old, beat CAT) and that should get you another 15hp or so w/ full exhaust. ALISyn is excellent synthetic oil, about 4x the film strength of Mobil 1, hence you can run it in a lighter weight...so give yourself 3-4hp there (ALI= Aerospace Lubricants Inc-their main business is making lubricants for Rolls Royce/General Electric turbines on big arse jets and stuff, think it's factory fill on some of them... in summary, these guys know their and are cool too (hey, they sponsored my VT Formula SAE car and gave us several cases of free oil and syn chain lube that never slings off either...only the 2nd year the guys in the school machine shop intercepted it so it never found its way to the dyno room to do a back 2 back comparison w/ mobil 1 15w50 (cbr600 F3 turbo'd/ TEC-II'd/etc)
so maybe 25 bolt on horsepower.

235hp or so should still be SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!...my gas hog 3VZE makes 150 out of the box, and that was 160k ago...

I still think i'm going to do the 24v camry head swap once I put a locker in the back myself...that should put me up to 200hp and better gas mileage...i already put a Centreforce clutch in him 19k ago...and then if i really want to get stupid, i can add a T4 turbo....all in due time...that or a supra turbo motor...that might be easier than all that...

Well, good luck, and please post pix. that sounds awesome!

(my Formula SAE teammate also did what your friend did...found a 302 growing in the weeds in his back yard and stuffed it into an old, boxy ranger; Matt had to relocate the alternator i think, but it was a decently easy swap. unfortunately, he'd only leave one huge stripe behind the shop-matt cheezed and never put a posi in it...DOAH!!!)
I think that year 5.0 had 225. I have a 2000 GT and that 4.6 only have 265hp stock. It will feel like 300hp from wieght to hp ratio.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:34 AM

so a 302 pushing 330 to 350 horse should be a rocket ship. man i cant wate to get my 302 in my toy. let us know how much you have wraped up total in this swap and where you got your parts. if you can give us a brake down like adaptors $688
sold front axle $100
exc
thanks.
Travis
Old 02-04-2008, 11:01 PM

Still trying to find a toyota auto transmission adapter for the 302. Anybody got any ideas? This guy has his transmission adapted to the motor http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/hottoy/jd/
I've been trying to reach this guy and can't locate him the guy that helped with the article hasn't heard from him in a couple of years.

Last edited by SledgeHammer; 02-04-2008 at 11:04 PM. Reason: for got something
Old 02-05-2008, 02:53 AM
JD

Try Post 56 above or this one

Whats the prob ?
Old 02-05-2008, 01:38 PM

i dunno bout putting a toyota automatic behind a 302 it seems to me it wouldnt be strong enough with all the torque and and hp of the engine being that its twice as much the tranny is built for. I would imagine you would be puttin a new tranny in it after awhile. thats my opinion though.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:43 PM

JD how did you adapt the 302 to your Toyota transmission? Is there somebody down under that makes an adapter?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:15 PM
JD

Actually, the special bellhousing for this was made by Advance Adapters and I got one for a Chev V8 in 1993 because that allowed me to use a Ford to T700 adapter plate and then use this bell. I did this so if I couldn't fit the Ford then I had the option of then mating this trans to our local GM V6.

I'd be happy to sell all this to you but I hope you take this advise

Don't do it .

The Toy trans requires sensors to work which requires a lot of wiring and it also has to have the Toy TPS fitted as well as the Ford one etc. AA's stopped making this bell because of these wiring issues with this trans.

I got mine working fine but in hindsight it would have been a lot easier and smarter to have hooked it to a T700 and this is what I would recommend you do if you must have an auto. There are T700 adapters for the Toy transfer.

The T700 also has a much bigger converter than the Toy as I did have some issues with it being too small and the hp of the V8 etc.

I swapped to a 5 speed in 2000 and although I had 7 years trouble free with the auto the 5 speed is sooooooo much better and I would suggest you consider this .

Check the trans section here.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ozrunner/MainIndex.html

JD
Old 02-06-2008, 04:50 AM

i dunno bout putting a toyota automatic behind a 302 it seems to me it wouldnt be strong enough with all the torque and and hp of the engine being that its twice as much the tranny is built for. I would imagine you would be puttin a new tranny in it after awhile. thats my opinion though.

The Toy auto can be upgraded internally with parts from Level 10. A lot of guys run supercharged 3.4's without modifying the tranny so with prudent use of the right pedal it should be ok.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:34 PM

if your going to stay with or convert to an Auto just use the auto behind the Engine you get. For example the AOD that was behind the 302 in my lincoln mark VII would be super strong and easily adapted to the Toy transfer case but I chose to stay with the Toy 5speed (r150) and an adapter bellhousing from Northwest offroad. But the AOD would have been super easy as it is cable operated and a floor shifter would have been easy to put in. I simply prefer a manual and love the sock look of the interior.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:24 PM

i'm using a C4 tranny out of a 70 something mustang with an art carr shifter i think it will bw sufficiant behind the 302.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:51 PM

i'm using a C4 tranny out of a 70 something mustang with an art carr shifter i think it will bw sufficiant behind the 302.
yea your C4 will be great. A nice function of the C4 is that it can be manually shifted. Your gonna love it.

Quick Reply: 302 swap is about to go down!