86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.slow, not so slow

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3.slow, not so slow

I have a 95 4x4 4runner with a 3.0. I read all threads on how bad they are and that there is little Mods you can do to increase power. I never drove any other runner with any other engine other then the 3.0. so I guess I will not really no if the 3.0 is as slow as you all say.

I must say that My 3.0 to me is not slow. I just had the compleat engine redone: new valves, timing belt, water pump, all new vacume hoses, plugs, wires, etc.

It is known that if you take care of something, it will always do good by you in the long run.

I really see no reason why people keep knocking the 3.0. I'm very happy with my runner as it is. It has enough power for me. maby if I was to do all the off rode things that other people do, I might feel different about it, but I don't.

I read alot of things from what people say about the 3.0 IT IS SLOW, IT IS HARD TO WORK ON, NO POWER ETC. But there are meny that will agree with me, it is not near as bad as some make it.

I just dont understand why it is beaten down like it is. Power isn't everything to some people, and I think some people forget that.

Well I just wanted to point this out. Again I'm very happy with my runner with my 3.0 (and not 3.slow) It gets me where I want to go, and I keep up with the rest with no problem. (Up hill, and down hill)
Old 12-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just how long have you had your 3vze 4runner? I have always thought it was an ok motor, but has a lots of problems.. people make it out to be a bad motor because they are probably sick of working on them and spending money on them when they can swap something in better.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think its mostly from people driving these 4300+lb suv's in the mountains with oversized tires after having driven gas guzzling domestics...

My 3.0 is slow compared to todays vehicles but its awlays been fun to drive. Raw power isnt all there is to driving....excecuting perfect driving form through a nice twisty road is TONS of fun!

Brakes on, brakes off, look, push, roll on throttle...oh wait that's the crotch rocket...lol but yeah same thing!

and omg the donuts i used to cut up at gatorback...hehehehe

My best memory with my 4runner was using it when we went hunting on 2 different occasions. On one duck hunting trip, our Polaris Ranger was down so my 4runner got recruited to do the offroading! Its definately fun taking a 250,000+ mile truck mudding, getting 18mpg, and still have all the creature comforts that a 4runner had to sport! And the other time, my beloved cairn terrier (wizard of oz dog,) Fuzzy, was still alive.

It was a nice cool day so we tied Fuzzy up to the yota with a nice 25' long lead and went snipe hunting (walking around bogs in the daylight shooting snipe aka woodcock) Since it was nice and open we could keep track of Fuzzy and she could be having a blast rooting through all the cool bushes, smells, and rats/mice in the area! LOL (We also made sure there were no water mocassins in the area.) God I miss that dog!

But yeah, 3.0 is a good motor IMO. Others rag on it because they havent learned enough about it imo.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 12-23-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
i think its mostly from people driving these 4300+lb suv's in the mountains with oversized tires after having driven gas guzzling domestics...

My 3.0 is slow compared to todays vehicles but its awlays been fun to drive. Raw power isnt all there is to driving....excecuting perfect driving form through a nice twisty road is TONS of fun!

Brakes on, brakes off, look, push, roll on throttle...oh wait that the crotch rocket...lol but yeah same thing!

and omg the donuts i used to cut up at gator back...hehehehe
Well said............
Old 12-23-2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Raw power isnt all there is to driving....excecuting perfect driving form through a nice twisty road is TONS of fun!
Oh yeah. No rear brakes + Locked Rear + Rainy Road = YEEHAW, OH $H!T WATCH THAT OTHER CAR!
Old 12-23-2006, 08:28 PM

Ehh, I traded a 94 3.0 Runner for my 87. The 3.0 was really slow with the auto although I think that one had problems (didn't own it long enough to find out). I test drove a manual trans 95 3.0 and it had much more snap and was pretty fun to drive.

I have worked on them and they are a pain to work on. Everything is really tight in the engine bay and there are more vacuum lines and sensors than should be needed IMO. There are worse ones to work on but I did take that into consideration when I was in the market.

I decided on the 22-RE because I could get similar power with an open air filter, cam, and exhaust to a 3.0 and generally better economy too. I don't mind at all working on the 22-R motors and they don't seem to be as finicky on average. Still though I agree that the 3.0s aren't particularly bad motors and I would probably buy one if the right deal came along (I may buy a pickup and have looked at a few with 3.0s).

All in what you like. If you're happy with your 3.0, awesome! Ignore the naysayers and prove them wrong
Old 12-23-2006, 08:41 PM

I like my 3.0 I wish It got better than 20mpg considering the amt of driving I do everyday, BUT, All things considered, I think its a decent engine. I don't find it particularly hard to work on, I mean, its wedged into the engine bay but I'm pretty small so I don't have a problem squeezing around stuff. Also they sound pretty sweet, got a nice growl to them. I don't do alot of real serious off roading. I got some pictures of the dirt roads around santa fe, I'll post em soon.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:31 AM

Personally I like my 3.0. I haven't had an major problems with it.... I find it a bit under powered (but thats no regear and 33"x12.5" MT's/auto) Soon I'll regear and lock it and it will be better. I've put my Runner into some places it shouldn't have been on more than one occasion, and most of the time it gets me back out... All in all I agree with it being a good motor, if properly taken care of...
Old 12-24-2006, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I like my 3.0. The only time I wish it had more power was when I pass someone on a 2 lane road.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:06 AM

and its not that tough to work on imo. I can change all 6 spark plugs in 35 min or less. Oil changes in about 15min. The biggest thing is moving the vacuum lines around and knowing how to get to the plugs.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:35 AM

I'm glad to see that you all that posted seem to feel the same as I do. It is nice to no that there are people out there like me with the same feelings. It make me feel better knowing that the 3.0 is not as bad as some people make it. Thanks all....................
Old 12-24-2006, 07:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked my 3.0 until my headgasket blew but i guess that is to be expected. Other then that, it provides decent power for me. ITs not all that bad of a motor, but alot could be improved on. Whenever mine goes again, ill be following the same route as cebby and twisty
Old 12-24-2006, 07:51 AM

I would have to agree with most of you, the 3.slow really isn't a bad engine. And like said before, if it's well taken care of, it really is somewhat reliable. Really the only thing bad that I can say about it is the towing power. I am running 4.88's with 31' tires still and you would think it would be able to tow a small car on a car dolly. It will but not up any hills without dropping below 40 mph, you really have to work the gears and keep the RPM's higher than I would like.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by bruzer
I would have to agree with most of you, the 3.slow really isn't a bad engine. And like said before, if it's well taken care of, it really is somewhat reliable. Really the only thing bad that I can say about it is the towing power. I am running 4.88's with 31' tires still and you would think it would be able to tow a small car on a car dolly. It will but not up any hills without dropping below 40 mph, you really have to work the gears and keep the RPM's higher than I would like.
I never towed anything with my rig as of yet, but as a contractor, I have put quite a bit of weight in it at times and really didn't see much of a difference. I will also say that I don't think I will be towing any cars any time soon. I no that the 3.0 is not ment for this reason. I guess this is all part of taking care of it as well.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:27 PM

I like my 3.0 as well. Yeah it's not the fastest, easiest to work on, nor is there a ton of aftemarket parts. however it starts, runs, and provides me a great time when I'm out. I enjoyed my rebuild and learning everything that I have so far about the engine and automotive mechanics in general. She has treated me well and I will continue to do so to her.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will say this about my 3.0 with 202566 miles on it.Last night on my way home i ran into one of our other bomb techs and he was blocking a nissan titan that lost control spun and broke the rear axel snaped it in half anyway he was half in the road and on the medin so he asked me if i could pull it about 1 mile to a safe place off the road so i said yes remember it a 3.0 with 202000 miles 32x11.5 and 4.10s anyway i pulled out my tow strap and hooed up to it with out useing 4 wheel i drug it because the rear on the titan was locked up and was not spinning the wheels at all my friend was in the titan and called me on my cell asking me to please slow down because the rear of the truck was sliding around and i was about to grab 3 rd gear anyway point is it pulled the ˟˟˟˟˟ out of that titan and still wish i had a video camera with me so i could send it to nissan for a real look at one of there commericals like the one getting hit by the metor and still driveing ya right
Old 12-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

I think I am the only one on this thread that doesn't love my 3 slow, but here's why:

* She's Auto - and that right there kills more power
* I live in Colorado and have to drive over mountain passes at 10,000 feet often to get to good wheeling. Altitude driving in my rig is pretty darn slow
* I have maxed her outr several times while wheeling her hard. I think if I didn't wheel as hard as I do it would be fine, but when you need to haul your runner up yellow hill in pritchett canyon... well engine power starts to matter.

But my engine has been rebuilt at 215K and it runs great. So I doubt I'll be doing anything about it any time soon. In fact my rig is almost to the point where it really just needs to be towed...
Old 12-24-2006, 03:32 PM

this past july i had the back of my runner loaded down to the roof with everything imagined including coolers packed with drinks and ice, clothes, a tv..ect and 4 people including me. needless to say i could tell how it was doggin down a little bit from the extra weight but i was still able to do 80 easily. Only problem i had was the handling was thrown off from all the weight.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
I think I am the only one on this thread that doesn't love my 3 slow, but here's why:

* She's Auto - and that right there kills more power
* I live in Colorado and have to drive over mountain passes at 10,000 feet often to get to good wheeling. Altitude driving in my rig is pretty darn slow
* I have maxed her outr several times while wheeling her hard. I think if I didn't wheel as hard as I do it would be fine, but when you need to haul your runner up yellow hill in pritchett canyon... well engine power starts to matter.

But my engine has been rebuilt at 215K and it runs great. So I doubt I'll be doing anything about it any time soon. In fact my rig is almost to the point where it really just needs to be towed...
x's 2 Driving over the Sierra's and the Rockies is "The Suck" with the 3.0 Auto! Big tires or no big tires, I have done them both. I still like that it is reliable (knocking on wood) but disagree that it has plenty of power. Still not sure about the easy to work on part, but I plan on tackling the timing belt and water pump here soon.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
... one of there commericals like the one getting hit by the metor and still driveing ya right
Thats a toyota tacoma commercial dude...

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 12-24-2006 at 08:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 3.slow, not so slow