Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3 hours wrestling with CV joint, please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 hours wrestling with CV joint, please help

I know this is a repeat of a repeat of a repeat. My passenger side CV joint is stuck and held up by the two bolts on the differential. I have read everything I could find relating to cv joints. I have read the Haynes and the FSM (which are both useless for this part).

I have loosened the swaybar which didn't seem to help much.
I loosened the shock absorber as far as I could without destroying the shock and that only helped a little.
I have moved the steering wheel in every direction a dozen times with no results.
I have jacked the truck up and down, both on the a-arms and the frame with no results.
I have loosened the lower balljoints per a write-up for 3rd generation 4runners. I can't see how that would help me because the disc brake assembly doesen't move and swing out when this is done.
writeup is here:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/cv_axle/
I have disassembled the inboard hub to try and pry the cv joint apart. This only got what little grease was left all over me and my driveway.

I would like to do this:
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/cheaptricks/quickcv/
but I need to be able to get a vise in there which I cannot.

This write-up is awesome but I cannot figure out a way to pound out the studs with my cv joint in the way:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128/changing-cv-boots-86-95-ifs-toyotas-81059/

Right now I am comtemplating:
Selling my truck to the insurance company, California style (burn it! haha)

Hacksawing off the two bolts on the differential holding the cv joint up. I think I can drill them out later... I just hate to destroy something which may not even work.
Unloosen/remove every bolt on the passenger side and hope to God that I can find places for them all when I am done.

Any help would be appreciated. If you want pictures I can do that as well. I've worked for 3 hours just on the cv joint and I'm not gettting anywhere. Thanks and sorry for the repost of the repost of the repost...
Old 09-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Oh, and the upper bumpstop (the top rectangular one) is corroded away and stripped even with a deep socket on it using PB Blaster and it's starting to turn in the square hole. Should I go ahead and hacksaw it off?
Old 09-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

hey navy!

when my buddy and i replaced my front cv shafts, we took the lower shock bolt out completely and iirc, he had to pop the ball joint loose. im going from a year and a half old memory so i might not have the ball joint quite right.

you have to remove either your manual locking hubs or the flange plate to get at the small gold bolt and washer behind the above. your best option at this time might be to press out the splined studs from the axle flange and grind off the splines. this will make future cv shaft work much easier as the bolts will slide out and the inner cv shaft flange can drop down, then slide the outer end out of the spindle.

i think robinhood150 or corey (side admin) have a write up on how to do the splined bolt mod.

lee

Last edited by leebee; 09-17-2006 at 05:38 AM.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

I finally got the upper bumpstop loose. The nut was almost completely rounded by the time I finished. I had to use a breaker bar from start to finish to get that thing off. That now totals 4 nuts that are rounded off (and I'm using good sockets!). That gave me the 1/64 inch clearance that allowed me to get the old cv joint out. I took both covers off to get it out. It now looks like it got ran over. It's gonna be hard not to laugh when I bring it in for my core refund.

Getting the new one in wasn't easy either. I'll be surpised if it works. At least I now have that lifetime warranty from Autozone. Now I've got to find replacements for those 4 bolts. Two were from the differential, one from the bumpstop and one from the stabilizer.

Thanks again for the help. I already had my hacksaw out and ready to cut through a whole bunch of the bolts.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:26 PM

Man! I went through the same thing! I finally got it though...hardest thing I've done to date...lol.

I ended up having to compress the axle so much to get it to fit that the axle actually pushed the metal seal off on the end of the cv causing grease to spew out. lol

So, I just put it in place with the seal/cap off and slid it up in there and tightened the bolts.

I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone, but it worked...definately not a suggested method.