86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.4 swap parts questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4 swap parts questions

OK, I've got a couple more questions regarding necessary parts from the donor vehicle for this swap (96 Taco w/5 speed). I was supposed to be picking up this engine today, but the weather and lack of pick-up truck has postponed it till next weekend. It's a two hour drive for me, and the owner of the wrecked truck that I'm getting the engine out of said I can basically take whatever additional parts necessary while I am there getting the engine.

He?s already told me I can have the engine, accessories, harness, ecu, airbox, and MAF. My 4runner (89) already has the 3.0 5-speed, and I have an additional 3.0 w/bad headgasket so I have plenty of 3.0 parts.

My questions concern items like VSV switches, EVAP cannister, the diagnostic port, and maybe the (1 or 2?) body harness plugs required for the conversion harness. Are the VSV switches and evap cannister critical or can 3.0 ones be used? Where does the diagnostic port plug in to/ how is it removed? Anyone have a pic of the body harness plugs required and their location on the ECU? I?m assuming he won?t mind if I just cut the plugs off the body harness but I?m not positive.

Anything else I?m forgetting? Don?t want to leave good stuff behind!

Lastly, thanks to you who have already given me lots of good info through either threads or PM?s, it IS appreciated.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the two body plugs that the engine harness plugs into. You can use these along with the two plugs from the end of the 3.0 engine harness to make the harness adapter. If you are using the ORS adapter I think theirs will have those plugs already. Also I got the two O2 bungs and sensors from the exhaust pipe and the muffler shop used them in the new exhaust system. The ODBII plug will have to be wired into the appropriate connections but it is pretty simple to do. I just took the OBDII plug and as much of the wire that went with it as I could. Also there is a AC circut board behind the glove box that may be needed according to some write-ups. I haven't charged my AC system yet so I'm not sure if it is needed but I got it anyway. Make sure you get the igniter and I also got the cruise control unit although it won't work with my setup.