86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.4 conversion and CA Smog tests

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4 conversion and CA Smog tests

My '94 4runner with a 3vze is ill. This may be a good time to do the 3.4 conversion.

How hard is it to get a 3.4 conversion smog checked in California? After the first test, how hard is the retest when the two years is up?

Does anyone have a donor vehicle for sale?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
*subscribes*
Old 12-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by funjumper
My '94 4runner with a 3vze is ill. This may be a good time to do the 3.4 conversion.

How hard is it to get a 3.4 conversion smog checked in California? After the first test, how hard is the retest when the two years is up?

Does anyone have a donor vehicle for sale?
Good question (which is, of course, why you ask it). I'd check Smogtips.com, and maybe ask a good "test only" station in your area, as well as ask here.

My own thoughts are that I hate to deviate from stock because of the SmogII requirements. You'd think they'd welcome you swapping in a more recent engine which allows you to use the OBDII diagnostics. But I suspect not.

What's wrong with your 3VZE?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Chili_Man from 4x4wire did it, so when he smogs, he smogs as a 96' 4runner, but the registration says 87.
might be in here somewhere...
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...fpart=all&vc=1
Old 12-07-2006, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can swap a newer year motor and take it to the ref or do like i do and reg. the truck in a town with less than 500 people (you dont have to live there, just store the truck there) and you wont have to smog anymore (i learned this from my rx7 days)
Old 12-07-2006, 11:55 AM

I started another thread about the illness. Blown HG on a 226k motor.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:10 PM

I think the law says that you must use an engine the same year or newer than what you are replacing, and that all of the emissions controls on the donor engine need to be in place. For something OBDI this isn't that tough.

But to swap in and remain OBDII compliant that is a WHOLE other ball of wax.

Basically, they connect the emissions computer to your ECM and download. If it throws ANY code, you fail.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:50 PM

You go to the ref the first time. he goes over it with a fine tooth comb and if it passes his visual and then the particulate test he will slap a ref sticker next to the current stock smog sticker under the hood. then you can go to a reg smog shop for your 2 year smog. they will then run it off the smog ref sticker rather than your current vin and stock smog sticker.

\make sure you do your wiring very cleanly as he will trace a number of wires from the ecu to the sensors to make sure you arent faking it. He might also check your ecu part # to make sure it is for the right model and trans as the swapped motor. He will check that the CEL works. if it is an ODBII motor he will likely plug his machine into the ODBII port and run various tests. If it is ODBII motor you will need the new style of catalytic converters that are ODBII compliant, stupid but true.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tigerstripe40
I think the law says that you must use an engine the same year or newer than what you are replacing, and that all of the emissions controls on the donor engine need to be in place. For something OBDI this isn't that tough.

But to swap in and remain OBDII compliant that is a WHOLE other ball of wax.

Basically, they connect the emissions computer to your ECM and download. If it throws ANY code, you fail.

My understanding from reading in Downey's catalog, and a few other places, is that the engine must be of the same year or newer, out of the same class of vehicle (light truck -> light truck (3.4L would fit here); NOT car -> light truck; NOT heavy duty truck -> light truck), and have all the emissions components as mentioned earlier.

At some point a smog referee must inspect the conversion (not sure totally what that includes), if it passes you're issued a metal ID tag that gets bolted to either the inside of the driver's door jamb or under the hood. Future smog tests will be done based on the emissions standards for the newer engine, not the year of the vehicle, and I THINK can be done just as usual.

There might be some requirement about keeping the same type of transmission (manual vs auto) but I really don't know.

as far as i can remember this is accurate, but if anythings not, please let me know and i'll change it...last thing i want to do give wrong info.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:31 PM

In the interest of making the smog ref happy, I was figuring on lining up the donor motor, ECU, etc, then buying the ORS complete kit. I don't plan to sell this 4runner for a very long time, if ever. I am willing to spend the $$ (to a point) to make a neat and clean install.

That is, if I can get a warm fuzzy feeling about the likelihood of not having a huge hassle with the smog folks after the first go-around.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:48 AM

I put a 85RE engine in a 84R 4x4 pickup. Had to change a number of things but when it was all done I had to take it to the referee because 84 didn't offer an EFI in that model. He checked a number of things and then put a sticker on it for future smog checks which I will be able to do at any smog check location. As has been stated engine must be equal year or newer and meet all the smog requirements of the newer engine.

I'm getting ready to put a 3.4 into my 91 4runner and will ahve do deal with the same issues. I got a 95 tacoma 3.4 donor which isn't ODBII but I think I'll hook up the OBDII connector anyway.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem as long as you use the donor truck cats, O2 sensors, evap can, VSV stuff and use the ORS harness which includes an OBDII plug.

Last edited by mt_goat; 12-08-2006 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by sat4soris
I put a 85RE engine in a 84R 4x4 pickup. Had to change a number of things but when it was all done I had to take it to the referee because 84 didn't offer an EFI in that model. He checked a number of things and then put a sticker on it for future smog checks which I will be able to do at any smog check location. As has been stated engine must be equal year or newer and meet all the smog requirements of the newer engine.

I'm getting ready to put a 3.4 into my 91 4runner and will ahve do deal with the same issues. I got a 95 tacoma 3.4 donor which isn't ODBII but I think I'll hook up the OBDII connector anyway.

I thought some 84 came with efi.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:10 AM

I thought they did also but when I took it to the smog shop the first time he said it didn't so I'd have to take it to the referee. Maybe he meant since my particular vehicle didn't come that way I had to go there. The referee was very helpful and thorough.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

What year did OBD II start? Don't you have to have 2 cats in CA? If so, how did some of you configure the cats? I'm probably going to go with the ORS crossover to keep it simple and maintain ground clearance. I'm curious if anyone that did the swap with headers had trouble with positioning the cats properly. I would think the cats need to be a certain distance apart with the 2 O2 sensors.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

January 1, 1996 was the main switch to OBD-II systems. Some manufacturers started earlier. Yes, the cats and O2 senors need to stay about the same distance down stream as the factory set-up or you could throw a CEL, probably a P0420 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1). Ca had 2 cats before other states, but I think 2 cats is a nation wide standard now.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

I guess if the Ca state inspector was really looking closely he could ask to see a smog sticker for the ORS custom cross-over and you'd have a hard time getting around that one.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-14-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I guess if the Ca state inspector was really looking closely he could ask to see a smog sticker for the ORS custom cross-over and you'd have a hard time getting around that one.
Nice to see this thread come back.

Who here on Yotatech has done the 3.4 conversion in California and successfully gotten through the smog check referee process?

If you have a friend that has, but they aren't a yotatech member, ask them to sign up and share their experiences.

Is there another board anywhere that has success stories on this issue?
Old 02-15-2007, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by funjumper
Nice to see this thread come back.

Who here on Yotatech has done the 3.4 conversion in California and successfully gotten through the smog check referee process?

If you have a friend that has, but they aren't a yotatech member, ask them to sign up and share their experiences.

Is there another board anywhere that has success stories on this issue?
I remember someone in the last 6 months describing the process. It should still be available if you catch the right search. It seemed fairly straight forward.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:32 AM

I'm in the middle of the swap right now. Hope to put the 3.4 in this weekend. Should be taking it to the smog referee station fairly soon and will let you know any issues that arise. Here is a link to some OBDII info that I found helpful.

http://www.obdii.com/connector.html

My donor engine is a 95 1/2 Tacome which is not OBDII but I plan on adding it. I'm planning on using a 97 ECU which will work and give me the OBDII info.

Quick Reply: 3.4 conversion and CA Smog tests