Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3.0 wont start, need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 wont start, need suggestions

This weekend i went wheeling at the Badlands in indiana, which is about 3 hours away from my house. My truck ran perfect all day long (about 5 hours of wheeling), and i was planning on camping out and going back the next day. I am driving to the campground when the truck starts to run real rough for a second. It broke out of that and started running smooth, but about 5 seconds later it chugged out and died, almost like it ran out of gas. It hasnt started since.

The first thing i checked was for spark at the coil, which produces very good spark.
The next thing i checked was for fuel at the cold start injector, which was not getting any fuel, however, when i pulled a banjo fitting to the fuel rail, fuel was spraying everywhere. I dont know when a cold start injector is supposed to work and when its not?
Also, there seems to be a weak spark coming from the end of the plug wires. Due to the strong spark coming from the coil, i decided the first thing i would look at would be the distributor cap and rotor, which were lined with corrosion. I already replaced them and it still doesnt start.

I dont think the wires would cause it to just die like that, so i need to know what else i should check? Im running out of ideas.

And for your entertainment, heres the only picture i got of my truck, which was when i was stuck

Old 07-14-2009, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you check your fuel filter and test your fuel pump (by jumping the terminals). Maybe your fuel filter got clogged or your pump is dead?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:33 AM

If that were the case, would it still get fuel to the fuel rail?

Which terminals would i jump to test the fuel pump?
Old 07-14-2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by affmondo22
If that were the case, would it still get fuel to the fuel rail?

Which terminals would i jump to test the fuel pump?
Are you sure whatever is in the fuel rail wasn't there from the last start (when the system last pressurized)? Check the FSM I forget the exact terminals to jump to kick on the fuel pump.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:26 PM

That's a good point. But since it died I would think that the fuel sitting in the rail got used. Although my initial thought was fuel pump because you can't hear it prime when the keys turned on. I'll check the fsm for the terminals once I get off work. Thanks boostinchick
Old 07-14-2009, 12:39 PM

like stated above check the fuel pump and if you do need to replace it change your fuel filter as well cause whatever may have killed the pump or if it died could have made it to the filter and if your pump is good while you are starting the truck you should smell gas from it flooding. and another thing you can check would be your fuses one could have blown for the fuel pump but you never know and the cold start injector only works when it is a certain temp in the coolant and it only works for a few mins or untill the truck warms up your fuel pressure in the fuel rail at idle should be like 45 psi or around that. what i would do i would get someone to turn the key on while you bang on the gas tank the pump could have gotten siezed up
Old 07-14-2009, 03:42 PM

I already checked the fuses and pounded on the gas tank while cranking. I'm gonna try to find the right fitting to check fuel pressure.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by affmondo22
That's a good point. But since it died I would think that the fuel sitting in the rail got used. Although my initial thought was fuel pump because you can't hear it prime when the keys turned on. I'll check the fsm for the terminals once I get off work. Thanks boostinchick
I always thought there would always be gas in the fuel lines. Until a line or something is unbolted from the system (depressurizing it) the fuel will stay in the lines. That is why you hear that sound when you unscrew your gas cap. Let us know how you make out.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:18 PM

so heres a little update of where im at.

i looked further into the weak spark issue, checking resistances of almost the whole system. The distributor was good and the wires are good, however, the coil had extremely high resistance on the primary side (about 30 Mohms), so i went ahead and replaced that, still nothing. I was very hesitant to replace it too, since the spark coming from the coil looks very healthy

I hooked up a noid light and the injectors are firing.

i also hooked a fuel pressure tester up and its got about 45psi of fuel pressure

Im going to go do a compression test on it now, but past that i have no clue what i could possibly do or what it could be. Does anyone have any ideas for me?
Old 07-19-2009, 11:03 AM

Sounded like the timing belt snap?
Old 07-19-2009, 11:17 AM

If it is getting fuel and spark... when is the last time the EFI relay was replaced? I have had 2 die on me. BUT, both times it would start randomly and run normally when it did start.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:10 PM

It did not sound like the timing belt snapped. And I swapped the efi relay and it still didn't start. The spark is extremely weak. The flowchart I followed is suggesting either the ecu or the igniter. But if that were the case would I still be getting spark at the coil?
Old 09-28-2009, 04:19 PM

Is the EFI Relay supposed to get warm?
After cleaning the terminals on the EFI relay I finaly got my 3.0 to run run for like a minute, thats longest in a month! But the relay got warm?