86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.0 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 rebuild

Well about 3 weeks ago i started tearing into my motor, im twenty years old with only knowning the basics of stuff on cars, brakes minor stuff. Well i decided to give it a shot being short on money and theres only one way to learn anything and i knew with time and patience that the 4runner would one day run again and i could maybe turn over then 33's when im done with it all. I got everything out, and it turned out to be the #5 cylinders rod bearing, must have been that pond about 6 months ago hehe. Its so cool to know that when it runs if it ever does that i built this motor by myself. I just took the block and heads to one of the best machinest around here who is alittle more expensive but had been around for decades. So far i have been cleaning everything up while i have a chance. I just got my injectors back from cruzin performance and let me say rich does a great job and he gets my two thumbs up for his fast service. The injectors look better then new. I placed a order today from marlin crawler for there heavy duty clutch kit. I hope this will be a good clutch kit and let the 33's sit and eat when they want to. My plans are to go with engnbldrs master rebuild kit because he is well known here on yotatech and all i hear is good things about his services. My plans for the rest of the stuff to replace are plugs,wires,cap, rotor button,timing belt,tensioners,water pump, oil pump. Is there anything else i am forgetting or any good tips that any of you have learned while doing in the process. the radiator, hoses and thermostat are only about 6 weeks old. Also i will post now but is there anywhere to find a good torque specs sheet for the 3.0 or just the haynes. And another question is the timing settings and the cam position. Thanks kevin. ill keep you all posted and get some pics up when i get a free minutes
Old 07-21-2006, 03:11 AM

Pretty much everything you need to know about the 3.0 is contained here.
manual
Old 07-22-2006, 09:31 PM

btt anyone?
Old 07-23-2006, 08:30 AM

Good luck on your build. I went through a water hole a little fast a couple of weeks ago and locked up my engine. After getting it out of the hole and pulling the plugs, I had a rod knock from hell. Well, we pulled the motor and the #1 rod is definitely bent. Luckily, I found a donor 4Runner that I bought yesterday for $900 and am going to pull the motor on it and part the rest out. If there are any parts you may need, let me know. Not sure if I'm going to part the bad motor out or replace that rod and piston.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:01 AM

getting the motor back today just placed my order with engnbldr the other day, recieved my clutch from marlin wed, so the only things left to get are a timing belt tensioner and a waterpump, hopefully it will be running in the next 2 weeks or so. Any tips i should need to know while install it all thanks kevin
Old 07-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
BumpinYota has a good thread going about rebuild; search his name...