Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.0 issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 issues

Hello All.
I have been searching and haven't seen any one with the same issues I am.
I have a 90 4runner with a 3.0 and it is hard to start sometimes, then once I get it started it is hard to drive until it is warm. To the point that I can't get out of my street. I can get it to rev up fine but when I let out the clutch the rpm drop to 250 or less and I cannot get it to go faster. once it is warm this goes away and so do the starting issues but it is hard to get it up to speed. it seems that it runs better over 3000 rpm(I don't like to keep it there) The motor has power but not at lower rpm's, I can feel it trying. I have changed the rotor and cap wires & plugs that didn't do anything. I had a spare so I changed out the throttle body with a tps and that helped some idle problems but not the rest. my next thing is to do the fuel filter but I don't think that is the problem cause it runs good at higher rpm's (still going to change it though) I have been looking everywhere for air leaks but can't find any.
Also to get it to run as good as iti I have the distributor all the way to the right (advanced?) and have changed the MAF sensor with 2 others.

Any help or suggestions would be great thanks.

Oh and I am glad to be a part of the board
Old 06-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Cold Start Injector. Take it out & see if it's pumping fuel when the engine is cold started. Also, you need to set your timing to 10 degrees BTDC or maybe 12 if you are running premium fuel.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:32 AM

will do, there is a lot of fuel smell while trying to start it.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:42 AM

how do I know the timing will be set to that? or get it there? I can do a lot of wrenching but don't know alot about timing

Last edited by Turtles Runner; 06-10-2009 at 10:46 AM. Reason: added more
Old 06-10-2009, 12:21 PM

OK, I pulled the cold start injector and it sprays while cranking, I plugged the hole and got it to run and it doesn't spray after start. then I pulled it apart at the fuel line and there is lots of fuel there.... seems to be working.

I then went to the distributor and started messing with it to dial it back, I can't. it won't start/run unless it is maxed out clockwise. which I know isn't right.

Thoughts?
Old 06-10-2009, 12:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
get a timing light
Old 06-10-2009, 12:33 PM

I can try to find one but I have never used one, Anyone in Salt Lake area have one that can read it that wouldn't mind helping for 5 min?
Old 06-10-2009, 12:37 PM

Its very simple to use and operate. Simple "search" (located at the top of the page) will help you find things like how to's and pretty much anything else your mind can think of that you want to know an answere to.

Found this in 2sec on the web for ya
http://www.ehow.com/how_4793417_use-timing-lights.html
Old 06-10-2009, 12:38 PM

Thanks I will rent one from checker tomorrow
Old 06-10-2009, 12:42 PM

Sounds good hope it works out for ya
Old 06-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

If you have the distributor maxed out to run, I'm guessing your valve timing is off a tooth. How long has it been like this? How long have you owned the truck? Could also be a worn distributor, also. We need more info! Fill us in on all the vital statistics, mileage, last timing belt replacement, last work of any kind done, etc~
Old 06-10-2009, 09:38 PM

I have had the truck for 8 months, it has 260,000 miles on it. I have all the service records for the life of the truck and the timing belt was replaced about 2 years ago. On the distributor now I cant remember if I replaced the rotor or just the cap(I was in a small town at the time and all they had was a different one) will check in the morning. It has done this the hole time I owned the truck but got worse about 4 months ago, before I just had to wait a min for it to warm up then it was fine, now it is hard to start and the rest. my brother is who adjusted the dist. I tried putting it back cause I can see the clean area of where it used to be but it just cranks there.
Thinking back, about the time it started getting worse my fan gernaded under the hood. I put in another radator, power steering hoses that got slashed and all of the intake boxes(?) under the MAF cause they got hit to.
Hope that helps.
Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you guys think his timing belt may have jumped a tooth? Kinda what it sounds like to me at this point.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think it's likely it JUMPED a tooth, unless the tensioner is bad. More likely it was installed a tooth off.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:33 AM

Well I can't rent a timing light.. my brother was starting to think along the lines of the timing belt as well. I can see about getting it to TDC and checking on it. Will let you know how that goes. Will the timing explain why it runs better when it is warm?

Last edited by Turtles Runner; 06-11-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Running better when warm suggests you aren't getting sufficient fuel during the warm-up stage.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:09 PM

So I got off work at 8 this morning and couldn't leave until 9. thats how long it took for me to start my truck. I got really embarrassed... and determined. after I couldn't find a timing light I decided to look at the timing. Both cam gears were off counter clockwise by over an inch (like 3-4 teeth) my brother walked me through adjusting it. When I got it set I had to turn the dist. back 2 teeth. but now it runs like a little racer.YAY Thank you for suggesting the timing to be off.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:17 PM

I still have some small things going on and I am going to put the old throttle body back on. it misses a little at idle and when I rev it up it takes it a couple seconds to get back to idle. This is the only 3vze I have been around so if the idle thing is normal let me know.
again thanks for the support. now I need to finish the 22re rebuild I am doing on my 86, I have been following bleeders build

Last edited by Turtles Runner; 06-11-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

The slow return to idle is caused by the dashpot (if it's a manual tranny); it's designed to help make the shifts smoother by keeping the RPMs up for a few seconds when you release the accelerator.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:14 PM

My 3vze is slow to start. It remembers me my former Jeep's 4.0 I6. (on these Jeeps, I think it was normal to crank the starter for a few seconds as both of mine and the few others I started all did the same!). Once my 3Vze is started. It runs fine. The idle stays a bit high for a few minutes when cold (just like it did on my Jeeps, and my other Toyota trucks with 22R-E engines). It could be caused by a bad coolant temp sensor but I don't care much about that. A friend of mine has a '93 T-100 4x4 and his engine starts quickly and feels stronger than mine. His engine has more mileage than mine too and his heavier truck has a manual transmission with 31" tires just like mine.

Another thing I have noticed: my engine is pinging at constant highway speeds if I use regular gas.

The mileage is currently 128,000 miles and I have no idea when the timing belt was replaced and when the last tune up was done.

What should I check first?

Quick Reply: 3.0 issues