Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.0 ignition coil? has anyone replaced or upgraded theirs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 04:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 ignition coil? has anyone replaced or upgraded theirs?

Hi guys, I知 getting ready to install new NGK blue wires, Toyota cap and rotor and try my luck with a set of NGK iridium plugs in my old 3.0 My truck has been getting harder to start and I知 wondering if its related to the ignition system or to the fuel I致e been buying "Sheetz 89". I was just wondering how long the coil should go before being replaced... let me back that up some, can you replace these coils with say a Flame Thrower 6cyl coil? or do they need to be the stock coil or would it not make a difference????
Old 08-09-2006, 05:10 AM

I have one of These and I have no problems vouching for the performance gains when I installed it. I picked mine up for like $100 on EBay a year ago.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:26 AM

You bought the whole system or just the coil?
Old 08-09-2006, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

I have an "upgraded" jacobs coil that replaces the stock coil. I bought it of ebay with an ignitor for $3.00 so I couldn't pass it up as a spare. it runs exactly the same as my stock coil/ignitor assembly. if your looking for more power, the stock ignition is just fine, work on the heads and exhaust first.

good luck
Old 08-09-2006, 07:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shiftless89
I have an "upgraded" jacobs coil that replaces the stock coil. I bought it of ebay with an ignitor for $3.00 so I couldn't pass it up as a spare. it runs exactly the same as my stock coil/ignitor assembly. if your looking for more power, the stock ignition is just fine, work on the heads and exhaust first.

good luck
Did you open up the gap on your spark plugs after install?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ganoid
I have one of These and I have no problems vouching for the performance gains when I installed it. I picked mine up for like $100 on EBay a year ago.
So it definately made a difference for you?
Old 08-09-2006, 01:38 PM

So it definitely made a difference for you?
Very much so Bumpin.

My stock coil is still in the vehicle hooked up as a spare (firing into a big resistor). I felt most of my gains up on top just as the dyno shows. Plug gap didn't seem to make much difference for me but now I run cheap auto-lites with hard electrodes with better results than expensive plugs on weak ignitions. If I ever make it to a dyno I will compare the 2 ignitions since its only a few mins to convert back to the other.

FWIW... I bought the full system because that's where the gains are. I don't think a simple coil will do anything for you. I bought the ICE system
Old 08-09-2006, 02:17 PM

ah ok honestly when it comes to those ignition systems Im a bit confused. there is the pro street, the ICE, the milage miser, repeaters and all kindsa stuff. And the jacob's site really isnt that informative as to what one does vs the other and which is better.

so you'd recommend the ICE over the others? I found a huge kit on ebay that had the ultra pro street and a milage miser... Did you keep your OEM spark plug wires?
Old 08-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Did you open up the gap on your spark plugs after install?
no, i left them stock. (toyota/denso irridium) for a 3.0 my truck has always run pretty strong. I put the jacobs coil in 6 months ago as an experiment and its still in there today as I ran the same, maybe I'll swap it back to see if there is any difference I may have missed
Old 08-10-2006, 02:59 PM

Did you keep your OEM spark plug wires?
I got ride of that high resistance junk and went to a nice low resistance wire. Who really needs AM radio reception any how? I went to Bosch mag-core wires only because MSD was too expensive and unavailable for the 3.0 as a set.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jacobs ignition for 3.0

well after speaking with Ganoid (learned a lot!!) I am interested in the jacobs ignition situation. seems that if the install is done right that there can be some real gains. the only thing that worries me is that the consensus online seems to be that they often crap out after a few years.
I like the fact that you kept your stock on as well, just in case.
there are several options, one that seems interesting is the off-road kit, which has protection from vibration, seems waterproof and dust proof etc.
also there is an incline adjuster...snake oil?

there are often kits on ebay for reasonable prices, the pro-street was favorably reviewed on 4x4wire for the 3vze application.

by the way if anyone sees a bored throttle body for the 3vze come available please let me know!

anyone with 3.0 jacobs ignitions, would be good to hear from you. would you buy it again?? the thing is...opinions seem to vary widely on the subject. it ranges from "love it!' to..."no effect" to "what a piece of ^^^^"

even my favorite runner site (other than yotatech), the 'mega runner" in sweden (he flew to california to get his downey throttle body bored out! YOU DA MAN!"
didn't like his jacobs ignition...he felt there was no effect.
ganoid on the other hand (who know a LOT! about the 3vze let me tell you)
really likes his. I am gonna try it.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ganoid
i have the jacobs ignition setup and I love it. a big improvement.