Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rear End "Clunk"

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear End "Clunk"

My 93 PU as seen here has a clunk coming from the rear end at slow speed in forward and reverse. It has a 22RE with a 5 speed tranny with 4.10s (I think) in the rear. I've searched and read some of the posts that suggest u-joints, etc, but this has what I consider to be slop in the pinion flange. It will move ever so slightly up-down and side-side. The u-joints themselves all seem very solid and I'm pretty regular about greasing the fittings. The clunk sounds and feels like it is coming directly from the diff. Could the pinion nut possibly need snugged up? Or is this the beginning of something much worse? If so, how much worse? This is a DD, so I'd like to minimize downtime. Also, if it were to come to it, could I swap rears with my 89 4runner to keep the DD going as the 4runner is more of a work in progress? Fairly certain the 4runner has 4.10s as well. Any info is much appreciated.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:02 AM

As no one responded to my original, I'll update my findings.

Finally got time to pull the driveshaft apart from the pinion flange. I re-torqued the flange nut to 90 ft lbs and re-staked it. The difference is roughly 1/8 of a turn tighter than when I started. (Anyone think that's excessive for 13+ years of never being apart?) Having driven it for the past week a minimum of 50 miles a day, I'm pretty confident that the "clunk" is gone. Previously it would happen almost every time I pulled into or backed out of the driveway or really anytime I eased out on the clutch in 1st or reverse. So, for anybody else diagnosing a "clunk", pinion flange nut is something else to check in addition to u-joints and fluid levels.

Forgot to mention, no evidence of any leak at the flange prior to pulling apart so aparently the seal was unaffected. I would have expected a leak with that much slop. (Yes, the fluid level is good).

Thanks to 4crawler for the writeup on pinion seals on his site!

Last edited by pokey; 09-07-2006 at 08:09 AM. Reason: added info
Old 09-07-2006, 08:53 AM

i have a similar issue that i threaded on here https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ighlight=clunk

i serviced the pinion flange nut (?) on the tranny as you described (stopped my small leak). but the clunk is still with me. is there another nut to tighten on the rear end of the yolk? i have seen this clunk all over the internet, but havent found anything definitive. the thread that i referenced above also contains a link to an article on 4x4wire, wherein the author writes about his theory of the clunk (in a small box on the bottom of the page).

anyone else with input? my clunk might be getting more and more pronounced. i am planning on re-gearing and locking the rear soon, so maybe getting into (and out of) the rear end will solve my clunk problem as well...
Old 09-07-2006, 11:48 AM

I saw that 4x4wire article as well. I keep the driveshaft lubed and I ruled out brakes as the "clunk" had been around longer than the new rear brakes. It got to the point where I could get the truck to "clunk,clunk,clunk" just by easing the clutch out, almost like the truck was jerking. As soon as I got into the gas, everything was smooth. Having just gotten a 4runner with a leaky rearend , I stumbled across 4crawler's site and the writeup on changing the pinion seal http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...eal/index.html It put me on the right track with my pickup. (Still haven't changed the seal in the runner btw) You said you "serviced the nut on the tranny", did you take a look at the nut on the rear differential as well? I wish I could offer more help. Mine feels like a whole new truck now that the "clunk" is gone.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:09 PM

i only got to the nut on the front of the yolk, against the tranny. i will have to do the same for the back end, as you are saying. i hope i get the results you've reported, because the noise and feeling of the clunk are definately detracting from the pleasure of cruising that truck. i can see how you would say "whole new truck" if it is fixed.

btw, thanks for reviving this topic. i feel like there might be some light at the end of the tunnel.