Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3.0 head issues ongoing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 head issues ongoing?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and new to 4 runners. Just sold my Titan so I can have a legitimate off roader again and am leaning toward a 4 runner. My question is this. We all know about the problems that the 3.0 had had with head gaskets. I have a friend who recently did a ton of work done to his 94 and is now offering it for sale. Recent New Head Gaskets, Timing Belt, Water Pump, Valve Clearances Adjusted March 2102. Was not overheated, heads were straight. All the work was done with Felpro parts. is the head gasket issue ongoing? or once it's been done can i count on the job to hold for a while? Thanks in advance and I apologize if this questions already been answered. Couldn't find anything after the search.

Last edited by breendrew; 12-12-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:08 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
I've only got 25,000miles on my head gasket, but I don't drive it a lot (not a daily driver). I do expect it to last another 100,000.

But who knows? It always piques my interest when I see a vehicle offered with a "ton of work done recently." Why sell it after all that? What does he know that you don't?

The answer is: you're considering buying a truck that is 18 years old. Things could still happen. But if you take good care of it you'll love it as much as I love mine.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 AM

Oh I know exactly why he's selling it. He used to live in Western Colorado and he and his wife just moved to Phoenix and don't need the 4x4 anymore. I've know the guy for years. Not worried at all about why he's selling just more worried about the potential for future problems with that head gasket.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:29 AM

Ok any other input would be greatly appreciated. Also is the 3.0 underpowered? I drive in the mountains quite a bit and a lack power is noticieable.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a 91 pickup with the 3.0, same engine. 279k and no head gasket problems. If you keep up with the regular maintenance (the previous owner did) it'll last.

About power though... I live near the Sierra Nevada's and it has a rough time on some of those passes. Then again, that's with 2-3 people and a bed full of camping gear. There's not a whole lot of mods I'm aware of to gain power but a better cat-back exhaust and better air intake does help, I did it on mine. Don't waste your time on a cold air intake though, just a good K&N filter and freeing up the air box works fine.

If you do get it, just be ok with doing repairs. I've not had any major issues with the engine (low compression in one cylinder but after 279k miles with no rebuilt, who doesn't?) but all the little things wear out over time.

In summary, if you're looking for raw power, look elsewhere. The 3.0L 3VZ-E engine doesn't have it. The 4Runners and Pickups are known for strength and longevity which is why they are great for off-roading.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:13 PM

raw power is not at all what I'm looking for, but like I said, I do spend a lot of time in the mountains and don't want to put over the passes with a wimpy motor. I don't expect it to be a race car, but if there is a huge difference between the 3.0 and 3.4 I may be patient and wait for one of them to show up.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well heres the deal... Its a time bomb realistically. Nobody has found a 100% fix for the HG problem yet and that kinda sucks. But its really not that bad as mostly if you take care of her and dont let it get away on you i doubt you will have any complaints. I bought mine with an already leaking hg and kept driving it for 6 months an it still hauled and got good mpg though it would eat a liter of coolant a day haha. And even after doing the hg's in not scared to do it again as it wasnt really hard and helped me really understand whats under my hood.

I dont think you will have a problem with power if you do the right mods. Is it 5speed? If so you are already golden because the auto is a slug and gets much worse mpg. Mine has a 5spd an a glasspack replaced the muffler which aounds nice and isnt loud at all but sure made some extra power. Then i turned my timing to 12 degrees btdc and that made it really move. I can rev it to 6000 rpm all day and it just rips along without a problem. Drift logging roads, tow small trailers, 4 people and camping gear doest matter it has the power. Now i dont know if its because i have a 2door an its lighter but i have never complained its too slow and actually have more fun laughing along in my 4runner rather my turbo mr2 hahaha. So id think with a couple mods and a 5speed you will be ok!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:16 PM

thanks guys. I'm kind of feeling like I'd be better off waiting for a 3.4. I just am torn because i trust the guy who owned this and I don't want a project. I want something that will be relatively dependable and allow me to get offroad.