Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2nd post - clutchless

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd post - clutchless

Hey - need help!!! I just installed a sach's OEM clutch kit in my 2 wd toy
2400RE - the problem is now, I can't not engage my clutch from neutral to first gear...grinds. I resurfaced the flywheel, installed a new slave, bled it.
Sach folks are telling me I have over surfaced the flywheel! Can this be true? Could use some help and recommendations!
thanks
Roxy
Old 02-25-2006, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by roxy
Hey - need help!!! I just installed a sach's OEM clutch kit in my 2 wd toy
2400RE - the problem is now, I can't not engage my clutch from neutral to first gear...grinds. I resurfaced the flywheel, installed a new slave, bled it.
Sach folks are telling me I have over surfaced the flywheel! Can this be true? Could use some help and recommendations!
thanks
Roxy
Greetings Roxy,
It looks like your pretty desperate! I'm not familiar with these Sach clutches, however, something isn't right! Does it go into 1st gear w/o the engine running? How did it act before you put this clutch in?
It is possible that you over machined the flywheel, but it should be hard in other gears as well, but it makes sense if you did overmachine it that it wouldn't go into 1st gear. Same as if your clutch is worn it will grind and it will be a real bastard to get into 1st gear. You can adjust these clutches, it might help but also note that if one of your synchros/bearings are bad it will act the same also. I forget the tolerance for adjusting the clutch, if I remember it's .5 " Or 5mm I don't remember, try this board and search on how to adjust it of try the tech section of www.4x4wire.com, you should be able to find it there!

Is the clutch the only thing that you replaced? No throwout,pilot....? Just the clutch and slave

Good Luck!
Old 02-27-2006, 10:17 AM

Thanks Nunsa: I replaced the entire clutch assembly - pilot bearing, throw out bearing, disk and pressure plate, including, Master and slave unit and throw out bearing arm. I checked with the trans folks who resurfaced the flywheel and the flywheel is within specs. .021+ meat left on it.
According to Sachs clutch folks, it could be bent disk- I checked it and it spins smoothly), misalignment of the trannie,(caused by broken motor/trannie mount). I noticed my plate stiffner is cracked on the driver side where it supports the bottom of the trans. Could this be the problem? We had a difficult time installing the trans since there is limited room underneath. We had to pick up the tail end, turn the trans and push in the some pressure plate fingers (input spline in the way). When we slid the trannie in, we had about 5/8 gap, and we used guide bolts to pull the trannie in.
Any suggestions or comments.
Thanks
Again
Roxy
Old 02-27-2006, 10:33 AM

This would be a crazy coincidence, but did you check the clutch bracket for cracks? It is a 3D bracket in the cab connected to the firewall. These are notorious for being weak and eventually breaking.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:45 AM

Since you changed all of the parts and the disc spins smoothly, it could indeed be a misalignment problem. The worn out clutch was wearing with the misalignment, and now the new one binds because of the fraction that the alignment is off. The slack in the old clutch allowed the misalignment to go unnoticed as it developed.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:46 PM

Bobakazi/Jeffires: I checked the interior and the clutch assembly is intact- no cracks;
Jeffires: how do I align my new clutch? Any tricks in the trade?
thanks
roxy
Old 02-28-2006, 01:37 PM

use the clutch alignment tool that should have come with the clutch. if it didnt, you will have to buy one. hope this doesnt sound harsh, but it sounds like a install problem.