Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2nd Gen Runner 3.0L Fuel Mileage - zomg!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 04:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
After reading about the mileage on these 3.beasts and having owned one for a while now myself, I've developed a hypothesis. Everyone knows about driving habits, tune-ups (which may include a few new sensors), tire size, engine modification, and vehicle weight. The auto tranny is a big culprit for poorer mileage, in my book. (Then the exhaust....all aside from the power output of the engine itself) The thing is very big and very heavy and borrows power from the motor just to operate. Not to mention the gearing ratio in it. (Also, think of the amount of fluid that pucker has in it!) But, that's not my hypothesis. No....I believe the age and wear of any sensor and the ECM <<<read that again<<<< has something to do with. Think about computers and how much worse they run the more they are exposed to heat. I've pulled the ECM recently from my wife's 4rnr and the TPS from my '86. They do wear, and we all know that wear on circuitry reduces contact efficiency and conductivity. Now, think of that and the overall ramifications on an EFI system. Yeah, the parts may test fine and fall within factory specs and all. BUT! How much better would it run were it to be at the top of the spec chart. Follow what I'm saying?

I don't know...I could be dead wrong and getting to far out there in my thinking (like I've never done that before... ), but I'm willing to find out. I'm putting a newer ECM in my wife's '92 real soon.

Last edited by thook; 12-03-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in my 2WD xtracab with 3.0 and automatic the worst ive gotten is 17.5 mpg.

the best ever is 23.8 on flat ground keeping it under 60

this is with stock tires and nothing in the bed.

my truck only weighs about 3100 lbs though
seems to me that a fully loaded 4runner must weigh 4000 plus

our 93 pathfinder swills gas like a pig however. 12 to 15. never seen 16

2003 ranger fx4 4.0 4wd gets 13 to 16
Old 12-03-2007, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by barrolde
I posted this at work on Friday and there is already sooo much info for me to sponge up here. Thank you guys so much. You guys are more insightful and willing to help than the geeks on the computer forums i usually frequent! Thank You!

Sorry it took so long to get back.. I was out driving my runner

I'm going to summarize the advice i've gotten here, please let me know if i'm missing anything. So, in no particular order:

1. Tire Pressure - more pressure = better mileage but more wear on tires. Sweet.
2. New plugs/wires/air filters/O2 sensor/air filter/fuel filter/headers - choose quality parts and not the cheapest option.
3. A Light Foot - easier said than done but i'm working on it
4. Manual Hubs - yes the jury is still out but i was planning on doing this in the spring to reduce wear and tear on the CV anyways. Yes No?
5. Don't let it idle in the mornings - I live in Calgary ahem. What is the downside of just jumping in it and taking off?
6. Get the injectors rebalanced - cool.. surely there is someone local who can do that though? Do people mail him their fuel injectors????? <-- noob :/
7. General Maintenance - put in synthetic oil, check head gasket, timing belt etc etc. Since i know nothign about the history of this truck I know this is sound advice.
8. The best way to improve mileage IMO: post on yotatech!

A couple more questions/comments:

Why do you call it a 3.slow? Or do i want to know :/
I am 'frugal' i buy the low octane gas o line. You too?
I am working on my 'light foot' right now i have 180k on this tank and i have a little over 1/3 left... joy
What is seafoam?

So this is a good start for me.. I'll get her all primed up and running tip top as my DD and then can look into the 'fun mods' for off road hehe.

Thanks for the welcomes, glad to see there is a fellow Calgarian on here too (Vohaul) maybe once i get my act together you can show me come good places to play.

I think i'm catching the yota fever.. i now notice other runners and tacomas when i'm driving around and have started asking strangers where they go for service
3.slow because many are not satisfied with the power of the motor to push such a heavy vehicle....namely the 4rnr. It's probably more suited for light trucks or a VW bug.

Switching the ADD is not going to do anything for your mileage....really. It's not going to make any significant difference on wear, either. The only difference it makes is if someone were to break an axle somehow (on the trail usually) and are then able to unlock the hub and continue to drive the vehicle. CV axles can last a very long time if they are not exposed to a lot of severe use.

I guess all I'm trying to say is if you really want to switch to manuals, no need to do it for that reason and you can save that money now for other things.....like freeing the restrictive exhaust and/or having more gas money, etc., etc.

Oh, and the tires. If you run the right amount you can still get decent mileage and stretch the tire wear further. The difference in mileage it (running more air) makes won't make up for the amount of money you will be spending on new tires that much sooner. About 30-32psi for the weight of the vehicle and auto tranny is a pretty optimal balance, I've found. A little more, if you haul any substantial weight regularly.

Running synthetics can definitely help mileage and cold starts....along with running temps, of course. I've been running synthetics for years and just now put dino in my 4cyl. because I've a leaky valve seal or two. (combustion gases ruin everything...). I'm also running some auto-rx through the crankcase to potentially and temporarily help with those seals, but that's not my point. My point is I've noticed a VERY big difference in how the motor responds....especially now that it's cold. AND my mileage has dropped a smidge, more noticably under heavy loads. I was averaging 16-17mpg's when hauling, but the last couple of tanks was about 15-16. It DOES make a difference immediately and in more so in the long run. Everything adds up. So, at the risk of beating the dead horse with a wrecking ball, synthetics are a good thing.

One more thing about synthetics. There's not the "danger" of running "dry" on cold starts like with dino's. Synthetics leave a nice coating to prevent that. Dino's tend to "run off" without additives. Then additives create a whole 'nother dynamic. Best left to other threads, though.

Last edited by thook; 12-03-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by ernest t bass

See....see! The 3.0 is not that bad!
Old 12-03-2007, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by ernest t bass

2wd makes a difference, mate. Less weight without the transfer case.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hey yeah!

i have to contend with you barrolde, always let your truck warm up in the mornings, do not just "start up and go" theres a big thread on here about how when the oil is not at the right temperature, it will not lubricate the engine.

its worth the couple bucks to let it warm up. its winter time.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by infiltrator
hey yeah!

i have to contend with you barrolde, always let your truck warm up in the mornings, do not just "start up and go" theres a big thread on here about how when the oil is not at the right temperature, it will not lubricate the engine.

its worth the couple bucks to let it warm up. its winter time.
It will lubricate, just not as well. And it does depend on the weight and type of oil ....as in synthetics, like I mentioned.

I did a lot of reading when I first got into Toyotas. I liked the vehicle so well I decided I wanted to keep it for a long time, so that inspired it. I ran across some info about bypass/remote oil filters. I settled on one that I could route the oil from the sending unit to the filler cap on the valve cover. As soon as the oil is being pumped it is dumped onto the valve train hastening lubrication to the top end, while normally you have to wait a bit longer for the oil to warm sufficiently. This is an option worth considering for colder climates. It didn't cost much, either. Frantz.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:52 PM

To the synthetics I wasn't meaning that for the motor that much as I meant it for the drivetrain. I know im my 82 on the really cold mornings as in the -40 range when you warm your truck up and its blowing heat as soon as you start out on the highway you run through 1st shove the clutch in, shift to second and the truck almost stops cause the oil is so thick in the tranny, tcase and the rear diff that she just doesn't want to move. One thing you can do for warming up the tranny is put the tcase in neutral and run the tranny in 3rd gear. This will run the oil around in the tranny and warm it up. And as for the ADD and manual hubs thing the only difference with the ADD and running with the hubs locked on a manual rig is the DS and one axleshaft isn't turning. It made a difference on my truck but its probably because I did my testing in the good cold weather. Drove around with the ADD hooked up and was getting 65 miles before the gauge moved right off the full mark. After putting the hubs on I am getting 80 - 85 miles before it moves off the full.

My 3.0L is getting 19.7mpg with the hubs locked driving in 4wd all the time in the snow. I been driving it locked like that because it wont move itself around in the snow we've been getting without 4wd. In normal city driving not having to warm it up much I get between 23 and 25 mpg and around 30 on the highway. But mine is an inline 4cyl turbo diesel 3.0L so it does differently. But the mileage adding things I have done will work on other vehicles as well. My mileage should go up a bit once I get a good clean air filter in it.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:21 PM

You dieselheads are all alike. Good mileage...more power...durability...sniff...sniff...and a 3L 4cyl. no less! I'm sad.

Sounds like you live in an awfully cold climate. Whereabouts?
Old 12-04-2007, 01:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by offroadrunner92
you live in sac, last i remember, the biggest hill in sac is the driveway hump to a mcdonalds, here in this hilly valley im lucky to get about 170 a tank, but on the freeway its about 230(havnt drivin much freeway after ngk iridiums and reduced weight)
I moved from Sac a little while ago. I now live in Lake County, and there are quite a few hills here. I agree with ya on the whole "Sac is flat thing". I will tell ya that there's a few parking garages down town that are pretty steep though....
Old 12-04-2007, 05:52 AM

I live in Fort Frances, ON, Canada. Its not that cold out yet but it will be come late Dec. and early Jan. The coldest I can remember starting my old 82 in without a plug in was -53 but it really really didn't like that. Right now its pretty warm out being 6*F but tonight will get a bit chilly. -16*F. One thing I am really impressed with about the diesel is it start up great at 20 below. The glow plugs stay on for a while but she starts and runs without compaints within 2 or 3 compression strokes. I feared I was going to need to plug it in everynight but she starts nicely. I'm happy with the motor and it doesn't go through any oil at all and its at 187000 miles. No smoke either.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:02 AM

still chuggin

Ha!

Just when i thought the thread was dead, its renewed with new vigor.

My truck is bone dry 60.00 CAD and 280km later. According to my calculations thats about 21 cents a kilometer!

On a brighter note, i've got a birthday and xmas coming up. Well i should say my runner has a bday and xmas coming up I'm going to start with new filters, synthetic oil and sensors. Oh, and new front brakes, bearings and adjuster sleeves /cry

I want to know more about the chip mod thook, my company cools computers and I am very familiar with the damage heat causes to electrical components. You reckon i could overclock my ECM? Muhahah

I think my truck is in about the worst possible condition so I'll try to use this thread as my mileage improving work log. I would love to be able to say I get 350km/tank someday.

ps. Toyota wants 359.00 for new front brakes and a bearing adjustment :p

Thank you for advice.. keep it coming.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by 82yota
I live in Fort Frances, ON, Canada. Its not that cold out yet but it will be come late Dec. and early Jan. The coldest I can remember starting my old 82 in without a plug in was -53 but it really really didn't like that. Right now its pretty warm out being 6*F but tonight will get a bit chilly. -16*F. One thing I am really impressed with about the diesel is it start up great at 20 below. The glow plugs stay on for a while but she starts and runs without compaints within 2 or 3 compression strokes. I feared I was going to need to plug it in everynight but she starts nicely. I'm happy with the motor and it doesn't go through any oil at all and its at 187000 miles. No smoke either.
6*F....warm? Eeeeeeeyuk! No thanks. I'll take the 50*F weather we had here today.

That sounds sweet. I'd love to have a diesel. I'd convert it to veggie oil, too. Give a kick to the oil mongers in the seat of their fat pants. Well, not like one person such as myself would make a dent in their profits, but atleast i could give them the middle finger.

BTW....I hadn't considered that about gear oil getting cold (in extreme cold) and creating that much difference with respect to mileage and ADD. Of course, it never gets that cold here. What weight gear oil are you using?
Old 12-05-2007, 01:28 PM

Well.. seems I have solved everyones mileage issues.

I think i'll get one of each of these MIRACLE GADGETS!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...32.html?page=1

Who do popular mechanics think they are anyways? The add in the paper said SAVINGS! so its gotta be true.

Engineers.. pfft.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:35 AM

When I got my 3.0 4Runner back from my sister, it had everything wrong with it. I got my 95 4Runner slightly used back in 96, drove it a bit and had to leave to work out of state. So I let my sister use my truck while I was gone....BIG MISTAKE!

Anyhow, not getting into too much details, I got the truck back in very bad shape. Gas mileage was horrible, 12-13mpg! I replaced the plugs, wires, distro cap, and rotors. Also replaced the PVC valve, fuel filter, cleaned the TB, and ran a few bottles of fuel additive thru it. I also made sure the tires are inflatted properly. When I got my truck back, the cat was missing!! So I had an aftermarket one installed and tack welded for added security (not much but it wouldn't be as hard to steal).

Now I'm getting around 16mpg, city mileage as I do mostly city driving. I live 12 miles from work and driving down the freeway is worse due to rush hour freeway congestion. I'm still working on improving the mpg a little more. Hopefully Seafoaming would give me a little more.

Last edited by DJK-West; 03-19-2008 at 09:36 AM.