Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2nd gen Pickup Flat-beds.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2nd gen Pickup Flat-beds.

I'm having increasingly difficult time finding a flat bed design that I like. I've done some concepts via pencil and paper but it's really hard to visualize with the bed still on the truck. There is a lot of wasted space with the stock bed and I've only seen non of it utilized on any flat beds I've seen done.

Whats the point of flat bedding the truck if you now lose ALL of the function of the stock bed.

I like the stock bed but don't like how weak it is. I hate body damage. Thus far I've made it without gaining ANY body damage and I've had some serious close calls but I avoid all contact or any close contact as possible.

I'd rather worry less and ditch the bed for something that will
A) look better (in my opinion)
B) provide safety. Something this truck provides none of in the event of a rollover.
C) equal or more function
D) I also like the wood slat beds you find on flat bed trailiers as opposed to the more common steel plate or diamond plating. Old school.

I am also trying to design something I've never seen done on a pickup and thats a roof rack.

Also while in Roseburg Oregon last year I came across a 1st gen pickup with a flat bed made with the square beams and it was sick. The roll bar was a rectangular wide beam and it looked like a strap kinda. instead of tubing. It looked realllly good with lights and rock lights out the back. However Im looking to do something over the roof maybe A-pillars for support or design something STRONG enough to cover the cab.

Similar to a dump truck how the front lip of the bucket overhangs the cab to protect it.

Here are some concept drawings:

Concept #1

Concept #2

I found this photo tonight on accident and its similar to my concept in the image above.

Concept #3

Concept #4

Now the part I'm having problem on is I don't understand why all the flat bed designs waste sooo much functionality? I mean some don't even look cool enough to makeup for their uselessness. I can understand if you REALLY don't care about storage and utility and the truck is purely rock crawln fun times but still... surely not everyone has that same goal?

I don't. I'm more attracted to the expedition, utility focus of a "off-road" vehicle as opposed to the mud bogger or rubicon junky.

All Pro's Design:

For the price, not bad but your limited to a toolbox and a spare tire. What about the pallets? Luggage? coolers.. beer? lol I use my rig for everything, hauling wood, tools, tires, junk, garbage cans whatever..

A utility design:

I like this one a lot. Reminds me of a military design. Functional, open yet contained layout. You can USE the bed. but its not weak like the stock bed. You can smash rocks and not worry about leaving a hideous eye sore.

Anyhoo.. Post up your saved flatbed pics. I need more ideas! I'm re-arranging my goals for the yoter this year from just SAS'ing it to cab swapping the truck and exo-flat bedding it.

new project:

Old 04-03-2007, 11:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm rooting for concept #3. That looks incredible. Sorry no pictures of flat beds just giving kudos to the concept I like.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also like concept3....very awesome looking.

Though of making the sides and tailgate removable?

Last edited by pepsibluefloat; 04-04-2007 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
good stuff man. i like 3 also
Old 04-04-2007, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Some good ideas there! I'm liking #2 best, personally. #3 isn't bad, but it seems a little "busy" to me. #2 seems like a cleaner and sleeker design, to me.

Last edited by breknraj; 04-04-2007 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:05 AM

Damn your stock bed looks pristine. I wish I lived closer to you and I would take it off your hands I want to avoid having to go with a flat bed since I love the look of the stock body, but my bed is disintegrating.

Rob
Old 04-04-2007, 06:05 AM

Your on the right track so far. Design something you like.
Pirate has a flat bed picture thread that helped me get some ideas for my design.

All Pro design is really for the rock crawling guys or guys who only use there truck off road. If you still use your truck to carry ☺☺☺☺ around you need to design your own flat bed.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:49 AM

I like 3 also, though I already see changes I'd make. It's only an idea =). I'm trying to utilize that wasted space infront of the rear tires behind the cab. Theres a lot of room to be utilized there. Most flat beds just waste this space:

I saw one guy put an extra battery there which is a good place.. but I was thinking maybe side mounted toolboxes?

The toolboxes would have to be custom made of which I have neither the tools or skills so I'll have to look around for a fabricater.

Concept #2 uses my existing low profile toolbox. I'd like more room but doing custom toolboxes would add a lot of $ to the flatbed build up haha so we'll see.

=)
Old 04-04-2007, 10:16 AM

I am basing my faltbed design off of these two here:

I'll bring the hoop behind the cab a little bit higher, and run some extensions over the cab, similar to a contractors rack. That way I will be able to haul full length lumber, and sheathing, or use the top as a sleeping paltform.

Last edited by Fergie; 04-04-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:24 AM

^^^^^^^^

This is what I've been lookin for!!! Thats exactly what I had in mind! You're idea that is.

I like the first pic there, maybe incorporate my toolbox idea kind of like a contractors truck then extend the top there over the cab. Hell you could even design a canvas canopy.. like an Toyota FJ45 .. now that'd be sweet.

good stuff keep it com'n!
Old 04-04-2007, 10:48 AM

The pirate thread, if you haven't seen it.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98472

I've thought about mounting dual batteries under the bed, in closed so they don't get banged up but with removable panels for access. Also though about mounting a propane tank under the bed when I go to propane (want 2 tanks and they would take up a lot of room to have both on top of the bed.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:27 AM

this one is for sale, i might pick it up

Old 04-04-2007, 11:33 AM

That bed has been on at least 2 or 3 different Toyotas now.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Yota Tony
The pirate thread, if you haven't seen it.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98472

I've thought about mounting dual batteries under the bed, in closed so they don't get banged up but with removable panels for access. Also though about mounting a propane tank under the bed when I go to propane (want 2 tanks and they would take up a lot of room to have both on top of the bed.
nice!!! i saved all those pics. man lots of good ideas.

Nothing I liked particularly but hey thats why they're ALL custom hehe

Now to find a fabricator than can do the tube bending and make the tool boxes for me! .. hmm...
Old 04-13-2007, 03:02 AM

Just an idea, but maybe make a shelf under that area where you can set ammo cans and strap them down...
Old 04-13-2007, 03:27 AM

#3 looks like the back of a hummer, if you glance at it real quickly.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:25 PM

Man I hope you are putting those sketching skills to use. Looks like you could fund the whole flat bed project doing concept art. I will be doing a flat bed soon as my bed is trashed from a wreck with a pizza delivery guy. The idea I have is to build a flat bed but keep the bed sides for the original look. Since mine are bent and rusted I would get fiberglass sides. I would also bob about a foot off the back.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:52 PM

Check this thread for more information and an updated Concept.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...php?p=50497469

=)
Old 04-15-2007, 06:55 PM

I just started using tracing paper. The others I either attempted to trace through computer paper or just reduced the opacity of the photos so the graphite would show up over the images.

The first concept was hand drawn tho but its not efficient to come up with new ideas free-handing.

I was a graphics artist for quite a few years and was initially going into architecture and drafting. Neither of which I do anymore.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:17 PM

heres my bed that i am working on. all i have left is some light tabs, and some mounts for antennas, jerrycans, highlift, ...

Quick Reply: 2nd gen Pickup Flat-beds.