Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2nd Gen Door Auto-unlock

Old 03-10-2010, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Gen Door Auto-unlock

I have a issue with my 91' 4Runner where the truck thinks that the key is always in the ignition causing:

1: The Buzzing alarm when you open the door.
2: The Truck will automatically unlock all the doors any time you attempt to lock it.

What are my options in addressing this issue?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:29 AM

My '92 4Runner started having this problem intermittently. When I would pull the key out, it would still buzz and give me the same locking issue. My key was pretty warn out, and I'm sure my ignition is pretty worn out as well. I had a new key cut, and it seemed to make the problem happen a lot less. I was told by a mechanic buddy that said putting graphite lubricant into the lock will help. You may need to replace the ignition tumbler thingamijigger. They're relatively cheap, and should most definitley fix your problem.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:31 AM

Also, when it would happen to me, I would put the key into the ignition, turn it to the 'on' position, and wiggle it around as I turned the ignition off and removed the key. Seemed to work. Just my $.02...
Old 03-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
x2, my ignition does the same thing. Pull the key almost all of the way out and give it a little jiggle. You should hear the lock thingy close when you pull the key out.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:08 PM

Yeah, I tried jiggling lots, but to no avail.

I ended up pulling the ignition right out, cleaning it out good and then lubricating it with some graphite.

My key is in great shape, and otherwise the ignition is in good shape, but the previous owner seemed to manage to get root beer in places that root beer was never intended to go. Even after owning the truck for 5 years I still come across things that appear to be electrical issues, only to find that if I remove the root beer residue everything is swell again.

Root beer = Fail.
Graphite = Win.
Doors locking again = Priceless.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:23 PM

In summary, to address the issue:

* Removed the lower dash panel under the steering wheel. (10mm bolt and a few Phillips screws)
* Remove the small cover plate that covers the ignition
* Removed the small section of air-vent directly under the steering column. This pulls right out with ease.
* removed 2 14mm nuts and 2 14mm bolts under the dash to allow the steering column to drop, granting access to the ignition.

From here you can remove the ignition or service it where it is.

On top of the ignition is a switch with 2 tiny screws in it. If you remove this unit you'll see that there is a button on the underside. Releasing the button turns the buzzer off. Pushing the button makes it think the key is in the ignition.

Looking into the ignition from here you can see a small bar that pops up as soon as you put your key in the ignition, and it SHOULD move out of the way when the key is removed. This bar is what actuates the button on the sensor. If it isn't moving freely, you should be able to clean it to a point that it does.

If all else fails, I suspect you can just leave the sensor unattached to the ignition fooling your vehicle into thinking that the key is never in the ignition, and therefore always allowing you to lock your doors.

Put it all back together again in reverse.

It took less than half an hour to address the issue.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:55 PM

I have the same issue occasionally in my 90 pickup but all I do is lightly tap the ignition once and that's that. Might be easier than tearing it apart if your does the same thing as mine.