Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2nd gen differential question after reading

Old 07-30-2006, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2nd gen differential question after reading

I have been waiting to ask a question about 2nd gen differential because there is a lot of information on this topic in here, and many opinions have been expressed. I know that differential depends a lot on application as well as budget. I wanted to list my application and ask an opinion from 2nd gen owners specifically who have taken this step.
I am not a rock crawler and will rarely find myself in a situation with one wheel completely off the ground. I use this vehicle as a daily driver and will be on-road most of the time.
I will be doing off-road camping, in snow for off-road camping and snowboarding, and in dry riverbeds and forest, and rain rain rain.(slippery)
I have a 5speed manual with manual locking hubs.

I have been considering a rear trutrac, or used rear e-locker.
for the front I (thought) I understood that an aussie would be great with manual locking hubs, as it would be like an open when disengaged, and great when engaged.

any 2nd gen owners who have diff advice for this application is great. thanks for your time
Old 07-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I would say getting selectable lockers would be a good choice, but I'm not really sure you'll need a front locker. The rear locker will make a huge difference in your off-road ability, but the front will only give you a marginal increase in performance.

I would say go for an ARB rather than an e-locker in the back, it will cost about the same I think. For the front, I would hold off and see what you think of the performance with just the rear locker.

Last edited by mastacox; 07-30-2006 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

thanks mastacox-
ARB is definitely in the running. It's just the big investment that holds me back.
the only other concern, I really like the idea of having a limited slip in the back full-time, and able to switch to a full locker when needed.
That's why I like the electrac idea, you get the best of both worlds. I gather that this is still not available for the 4runner (although I saw that 1 courageous yotatech member DID do the install, at great expense!)
is there any other way to get a Limited slip+full locker combo at this time

PS. How can I tell if I have a 7.5 or an 8

Last edited by taikowaza; 07-30-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Banned

I have a locker in the front, warn hubs and the ADD still working,I have no problems, The steering might fight to stay straight a little more.
Im going with the fulltime Limited slip in the rear later, It works great offroad and alot smother/forgiving on the street.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Banned

And Anybody want a broken ARB Neumatic Locker, Its got about 15-20k on it.
The locking pins are worn/damaged and falling out, BTW, Dont belive there LT warranty.

Im sorry, Its just I am still venting from this......
Old 07-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

limited slip

hi voodoo- so you had ARB problems? I know the ARBS must be awesome.
for me I think it is overkill. I REALLY like the idea of having something that works for me all the time- the truetrac sounds so cool. do you know which model number I need for the second gen?
I gather that when you are talking about a fulltime limited slip, you mean the truetrac?
Old 07-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by taikowaza
thanks mastacox-
ARB is definitely in the running. It's just the big investment that holds me back.
the only other concern, I really like the idea of having a limited slip in the back full-time, and able to switch to a full locker when needed.
That's why I like the electrac idea, you get the best of both worlds. I gather that this is still not available for the 4runner (although I saw that 1 courageous yotatech member DID do the install, at great expense!)
is there any other way to get a Limited slip+full locker combo at this time

PS. How can I tell if I have a 7.5 or an 8
Is there an electrac available that's a limited slip off and a locker on? I didn't know they made these for Toys... I know they come on Jeep Rubicons and some other applications so they do exist, just not sure if they are available for the Toyota 8". If you want selectable, I would say ARB is the way to go. But, like I said, you should try out the rear locker first and see what you think. A front locker comes with a lot more 'baggage' than a rear one does.

You have a 7.5" IFS in front, and an 8.0" rear axle.

I wouldn't get a limited slip, they are not very good off road, and you won't need one for the street because you won't be doing burn-outs with the 3.Slow.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Banned

LS Gives its best performance in turns, Like stopping that anoying 1 wheel spin in the rear without the pop and hop and tire wear, In the straights its just a milder locker with only 1/2 to 1 turn to lock.

Performace product has shown different MFG of locker and LS diff in every issue.
Ill look and see if they have any mentioned E-LS to lock in the past issues I have, That might be something I might like, No more neumatics for me..

Last edited by ^VooDoo^; 07-30-2006 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

truetrac

doesn't look like the electrac is made for the toyota, wish it were.
the 8" truetrac, for the 2nd gen, is it model number DTL-913A611?

I do not find that on the application list...but summitracing.com has it on sale, and says it is for the toyota 8".

on the truetrac application list it says that our application is 913A321... i think!

if anyone can tell me the right one that would be great
T

ps,. also any 2nd gen truetrac owners who can tell me about what is meant by truetrac brake modulation techniques
Old 07-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Electrac is not made for toyota

A truetrac will be cool until you get it on the trail, then you'll wonder why you spent your money on it. It works sometimes, and the rest of the time it's just frustrating.

An electric locker from toyota, if you get it used, is a couple hundred less than an arb, looking at like 400 vs 750.

Brake modulation is just applying brake pressure to get the truetrac to hook up. It took some practice, but i was able to get it down. Problem is that the truetrac is still a limited slip, and that is what it does, slip. So, it will still give the majority of the power to the wheel with the least traction, even when you have both tires planted.

However, the trutrac works great in snow.

Hey voodoo, you still got that locker?
Old 07-31-2006, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

rear truetrac, front aussie? 2nd gen

what would this be like: a rear truetrac, for fulltime limited slip, and then, a front aussie, which would not be engaged until I cranked the manual locking hubs..
for some reason I really want the fulltime limited slip...seems so useful on the road and in snow and mud and riverbeds...what would be a good front combo for a truetrac
Old 07-31-2006, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

what would this be like: a rear truetrac, for fulltime limited slip, and then, a front aussie, which would not be engaged until I cranked the manual locking hubs..
for some reason I really want the fulltime limited slip...seems so useful on the road and in snow and mud and riverbeds...what would be a good front combo for a truetrac
No, you want to flip that around: a rear locker (either selectable or auto) and a truetrac for the front (if you must). I'm telling you, don't bother with a limited slip in the rear, it isn't worth the time or money on a 4x4 suv.

LOCKER! LOCKERLOCKERLOCKER! If you're worried about snow driving, get a selectable. I drive in snow with an auto locker, it does fine if you drive slowly and know the limitations of your vehicle.

LOCKER!
Old 08-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

worth it to pay extra for new pinion bearings and carrier bearings?

at randy's ring and pinion they charge 140 for the bearing kit and 100 for the labor of installing new pinion and bearings on a locker/truetrac.
is this a definitely recommended job or something not 100% necessary?
Old 08-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

at randy's ring and pinion they charge 140 for the bearing kit and 100 for the labor of installing new pinion and bearings on a locker/truetrac.
is this a definitely recommended job or something not 100% necessary?
Well, if your diff is already apart, this may be a good idea for some preventative maintinence.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since you're not doing any serious off roading and really only need it for the snow, I'd suggest you get the true trac for the rear and a winch for the front. Anything else would be overkill.