Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2nd gen block heater

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2nd gen block heater

Hey I will be moving to ND soon and I hear I will need a block heater. What is the best kind to add on, where to buy and have installed? Is there an OEM? Thanks guys I am clueless about block heaters and appreciate any info, especially from 2nd gen owners who have one. I would like something reliable so I can start the runner anytime even when snow camping
Old 07-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Napa has them.

They need electricity so I don't know if they'll work for you when camping.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
where in nd are you moving, I'm in Bismarck, you will want a block heater, i just brought my Toyota up from cali last year, you can buy them at most auto parts stores but they can be a bit of a pia to install. there is several places around here that will do them for around $100 installed. another option is the kind that glue onto the bottom of the oil pan from places like jcwhitney. they do have to plug into 110v ac so i don't think you will be using it camping, although i don't think you will be camping when it is -40*f they only need to really be used when it starts dropping below 0. a good battery oversize battery and good compression will keep you starting when you cannot plug in but it is hard on things starting an motor up that is that cold
Old 08-21-2009, 03:34 AM
Contributing Member

Hi thanks Marc and ezrider! I didn't even see that you had answered my block heater question...sorry for the late reply. I am now in your neck of the woods boys! I think I'm going to get a block heater soon, is there any type or brand that you recommend? Also, although I usually avoid the dealership, I'm debating contacting them about this as there may be a stock block heater that I'm not aware of... do you know if Toyota ever made one?

Any block heater advice or thoughts would be great to have (when do you plug it in, how often, (I have a garage, do I need to plug it in in the garage), etc. Any dangers, concerns at all? Thanks again!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taikowaza
Hey I will be moving to ND soon and I hear I will need a block heater. What is the best kind to add on, where to buy and have installed?
I don't know what your experiences with winters are, but I come from THE land of cold, and this is the setup us wisened winter goers run up here.

Option 1)

Recirculating heater and a oil pan heater. It plumbs inline with your rad hoses, and circulates your antifreeze through a heater, keeping it at a predetermined temp. in -40, your interior will be at temp within seconds of turning the key on. You can find generic kits for around $150-250 dollars.

Option 2)

Oil pan heater, and a battery blanket. Most places like NAPA or bumper to bumper, etc, can get the silicone oil pan heaters for under $50, and a battery blanket is usually cheaper than that.

The oil pan heaters get siliconed onto the oil pan, and work so well, we usually put them on timers (after 5 seconds you cant hold one bare handed)

In northern Alberta we get a cold streak of -45C / -49F
for at least a week every winter, and this have proven to be the best setup, and almost all the dealerships install this.

I personally would rather have warm oil circulating in my engine, than anti freeze.

Also, just for funzies, if you ever do get below -40, take a litre of oil, leave it outside for a night, than try to pour it out in the morning. MOLASSES.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Hi Sundog kid and THANKS for this information. I am going to look into this. I wanted to ask you then, do you NOT recommend a block heater? I called the Toyota dealership here and I was pleasantly surprised so far. I found out that Toyota does make a block heater for the 3vze, part number 00213-00110. (if anyone with access has the inclination to check on this that'd be great, to make sure it's the right part #).

I was quoted a part# of $39.95 which was a lot less than I thought. They said that installed I would be $175 out the door. I am sure this is highway robbery but it's a lot LESS highway robbery than I thought.

Sundog in your opinion would this block heater be useful to me (I have an outlet in my garage and outside) or would you recommend to forget the block heater completely and get a recirculating heater and oil pan heater instead? Also- I have a manual transmission vehicle...is this a factor in the cold?

About recirculating heaters, any brand, part#, name that I can search on?

Thanks again!

Last edited by taikowaza; 08-21-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Go with the dealer installed block heater for $175. It's a bargain.

They are a pain to install on the 3VZE. I just had to replace the cord and it wasn't fun.

I don't use mine unless it's colder than 5 degrees Fahrenheit and then only for a few hours before I want to start it.

If you use 5W30 synthetic and have a good battery that helps too.

A garage really helps.
If you find your tranny is too stiff you might want to put synthetic in there.

Originally Posted by taikowaza
Hi Sundog kid and THANKS for this information. I am going to look into this. I wanted to ask you then, do you NOT recommend a block heater? I called the Toyota dealership here and I was pleasantly surprised so far. I found out that Toyota does make a block heater for the 3vze, part number 00213-00110. (if anyone with access has the inclination to check on this that'd be great, to make sure it's the right part #).

I was quoted a part# of $39.95 which was a lot less than I thought. They said that installed I would be $175 out the door. I am sure this is highway robbery but it's a lot LESS highway robbery than I thought.

Sundog in your opinion would this block heater be useful to me (I have an outlet in my garage and outside) or would you recommend to forget the block heater completely and get a recirculating heater and oil pan heater instead? Also- I have a manual transmission vehicle...is this a factor in the cold?

About recirculating heaters, any brand, part#, name that I can search on?

Thanks again!
Old 08-21-2009, 06:50 PM

Well I would look at it this way. what does your engine need more when its cold? rad fluid, or oil? If you can afford to get a recirc heater, go that way, as you will be blowing warm air from your vents the moment you turn the vehicle on. If not, spend less, and get a battery blanket and oil pan heater.

If it goes below zero, I plug my vehicle in. No if's, and's or buts. Plus I hear block heaters are quite the pigs on energey compared to a silicone oil pan heater. (And like twice the price)

In a perfect world, you would keep the vehicle inside a heated garage, that had a wash bay, and a detailer, and a mechanic on call lol.

Last edited by sundog kid; 08-21-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:29 PM

live in northern Canada, oil pan heater and battery blanket. Total outlay $90 Can. and easy do it yourself, would be cheaper down there. -40f hasn't failed to start yet.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by mojoman
live in northern Canada, oil pan heater and battery blanket. Total outlay $90 Can. and easy do it yourself, would be cheaper down there. -40f hasn't failed to start yet.

See? Listen to us Igloo people. Unfortunately, we know winter better than most!

(your not far from me, Prince George, Im in Grande Prairie)