Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2nd gen alternator wiring assistance request

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2nd gen alternator wiring assistance request

This morning I was greeted by the brake light/battery light combo. Considering there's a brand new Odyssey I don't want to damage it so I returned home to investigate. Initially I thought I needed a new alternator so I started reading all the posts about mean green, learned that boyle's future technology rebuilds may be the way to go? I called the guys there and they seem really cool, their brand new rebuilds seem to be a good bit cheaper than the mean greens, nice guys too.

anyway, before jumping the gun and ordering something I wanted to check the wiring and see if anything jumped out at me. well something did, the main battery wire from the alternator has come off. The end is somewhat charred, looks like it was a loose connection...or could it be more sinister than that? I hope it's an easy fix.

What would you recommend as the first step in reattaching this, will it need to be soldered/crimped, new wire, is this something I can do, I am somewhat wary of working with soldering guns in the engine bay. pics are attached, it was a bit dark, I tried lightening things up in photoshop for easier identification, apologies for the poor photo quality (cellphone).
Attached Thumbnails 2nd gen alternator wiring assistance request-alternator1.jpg   2nd gen alternator wiring assistance request-alternator2.jpg   2nd gen alternator wiring assistance request-alternator3.jpg  
Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 PM

ouch looks like you had a big load in that thing well this is what i did cheap easy and can put up to a heck of a lot more then the stock ok here it goes go to a radio shop get about 6 feet of 4gag power cable color of you thinking then spend about 10 more bucks and get hammer on conectors get one with a big hole and one with a small hole to fit the alt then strip the wire at both ends hammer on the conectors tape over the ends and bolt her on good to go seeing that the input power wire is fine and the alt gets power? ill see if i have a pic hang on ok its not that good but it shows the wire and one of the conectors and most of the route i too to put it in

Old 01-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

thanks!

thanks a lot justa22re! I really appreciate it. I've decided to upgrade the big3, I hope that this will fix the problems! My last question, is it necessary to upgrade the alternator too, or would the wiring be enough? I am not running a TON of things after all, but just want to make sure,

PIAA fog lights
Sony Amplifier
Rustbuster (small current)
Sat Radio/headunit
GPS/cellphone charger

that's it. no winch.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:35 PM

no not really man i had a stock 95 amp alt in mine and i was powering all the lights heater (on high) amd the radio 500 watt amp thats 50 amps just in that go finger aye 50+40(for the heater give or take a few)+20-30 lightsthat gives you 110 just there so yeah it should be alot better and when you go bigger on the wires more flow can go through them so then more amps can flow in a stock alt hope it helps and sorry for the deliad responce as ive been spending time with the family oh yay
Old 01-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

thanks so much 22re, thanks to your help I was able to upgrade the big 3 wiring today with my friend, gauge4 wiring from alt to battery , it is SO much more sturdy and thicker than the stock wiring which was puny, old and brittle. (not to mention burned right off at the end!) Now there is also a 4gauge ground to engine block and ground to body, in addition we put in NGK wires and NGK iridium plugs. not only that I did a seafoam treatment, topped up all fluids, and then took a drive, and I was very happy with the result thanks again!

Last edited by taikowaza; 01-24-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:56 PM

hey no problem buddy i can do anything with a 12V dc lol anyproblems just feel free to ask away there is no dumb question unless your asking where the gas pedal is lol