Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2gen 4runner rear window stuck down

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2gen 4runner rear window stuck down

sorry if this has been beat to death.... but I'm going to jump-in to the tailgate in the morn - the back window is stuck in the gate. tried to come up but was getting hung-up on some stripping (tailgate key doesn't work) I wrestled a little with it to get it straightened out and was able to get it down. Seems the glass has become unseated, the motor still winds. Any directions or abusive banter would be appreciated. thanks
tk
Old 11-22-2008, 09:01 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dude, that suuuucccccks - I hope you don't live in a cold part of the country!

First thing you have to do is take off the carpeted panel, and then the steel one and take a look in there and see what you can see!

Hopefully, it just came off the track and the motor/regulator didn't fry!
Old 11-22-2008, 10:29 PM

OK, I got to it and the glass was off track : how that happened I'll never know because it a fight to get it back in. Anyway the units that cradle the glass on the bottom were in pretty bad shape one of them had detached itself from the glass and arm and was sitting in the bottom of the tailgate. Got the unit mounted and fit the glass back in the slots glued them in, hope it stays. the pieces that hold the glass were in pretty bad shape, anyone know if there is anything aftermarket?
Old 02-02-2009, 03:02 PM

I am having the same issues with my 93 4runner. I had the driver's side guide rust off and the rubber dissappeared. I called Toyota parts warehouse out here and there is replacement guides for it. They are about 20 bucks apiece. The rubber inserts are 15 each. I do not have part numbers yet but when I get them, I will send them to you.

I happened to come across a rear window with the guides still on it the other day at a wrecking yard. A little rusty, but they will do until I get the new ones. Are they difficult to replace?
Old 02-02-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They're pretty easy to get in there, a lot easier with an assistant. Just put the window all the way up and slide the window in from the side to get it on the runners. That's what I did at least.

The brackets on mine were epoxied on like crazy. Maybe some silicon would do the job...
Old 11-10-2009, 09:15 AM

Tail gate Key doesn't work

I have a problem with unlocking my tailgate w/ my key.

I can only operate w/ my key in the ignition and w/ the controls on my gear box.

I have a 93 4runner.

Any suggestions?

Message me if you do......