86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RTE rebuild or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RTE rebuild or not?

Hello, i have a 1987 Toyota Pickup with the rare 22RTE. It has some problems: my first and second cylinders have around 115 psi and three and four have around 125 psi, it has a horrid exhaust leak, the turbo bearings are bad so it grinds whenever i get on it, and i think it now has a bad turbo seal which is shooting oil into my cylinders because whenever i get on the turbo it burns oil like hell. I am losing oil at a high rate i drove it for a week and used 2 quarts of oil. I am aware that the engine is only suppose to have 120-150 psi but does that mean that i should rebuild right away? I have been thinking about replacing the turbo and running it till the end of the summer it but i don't know if it will damage it. It is my daily and my weekend warrior and i was really hoping to drive it as it is pretty much summer now but as i said i don't wanna damage the engine as it is very hard to find and practically impossible for me to replace it. What do you guys think about what i should do? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Fastbug; 06-26-2016 at 11:25 PM. Reason: forgot to elaberate on things
Old 06-26-2016, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have never rebuilt the turbo motor so don't know what all is different from the normal motor. I have only seen 2 turbo trucks so they are rare. If it was me and I was wanting to keep it turbo, I would start looking into rebuilding it. I have heard that there are some upgrades to the turbo as far as better replacement parts then the factory but not sure what all is involved.

Sounds like you are about to get into a rebuild to keep it turbo. I have rode in a turbo truck and think you will be disappointed going to a regular fuel injected truck. I would do a rebuild if it was me.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:06 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Having 3 of these engines myself I would not waste the money .

Now if you were going to rebuild it and put it in a Early eighties Celica that would be fun

Till you spend the money to build the engine not knowing what you will find till things come apart.

A 3.4 swap is going to be in the same ball park cost wise and lots more horse power .

Just a thought !!

Your the one spending the money so very easy for others to tell you how to spend your money

Have you checked out the 22RTE forum They should know quite more then us I would hope
Old 06-28-2016, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you decide to swap in another motor I would be happy to take that 22RTE off your hands with all related components ECU, harness, and so on.

Any way you need to stop driving ASAP. If your turbo bearings are gone all your doing is destroy the motor more and more from the metal shavings going into the motor both by the intake and oil system. Odds are it's still salvageable but not for long if you keep driving it. If you need the truck and can't afford the down time at least replace the turbo and flush the oil system.

The 22R turbo is a decent motor and if you have the time and skills is not that band to rebuild. But it's going to cost a good amount to do it right. It sounds like the metal from the turbo has scared up the Pistons but you will not know until you get it apart. Best case it's just in the heads but worse case your looking at a full rebuild.

Last edited by cbr600rx7; 06-28-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:00 AM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastbug
Hello, i have a 1987 Toyota Pickup with the rare 22RTE. It has some problems: my first and second cylinders have around 115 psi and three and four have around 125 psi,
the first rule of compression checking is that they should all read in the same general ballpark, i.e., within 10% of each other... you have that.

so the question is, are they all worn out, or is there a problem with the compression test, like a bad gauge or something... have you done a valve adjustment yet? etc.

i would try and nail down the engine issues first... squirt oil in the cylinder, see if the psi increases temporarily, put a vacuum gauge on it, look for fluctuations at idle, maybe even get some leakdown testing done.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He is right on^^^

A leak down test might be a good idea. If it's just valves or carbon build up its definitely a job but way better then rebuilding the hole motor.