86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RTE Oversized pistons

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RTE Oversized pistons

So im a newb on this site and have some questions and figured everyone on this site would have some good answers. I've tried searching the web and this site but i haven't been able to get any.

Im currently rebuilding my 86 22rte, my block is at a machinist's house and so after him measuring everything he told me that i should look for another block because it is already bored .20 over and that Toyota doesn't recommend anything past .30 im gonna start having overheating problems. Is this true? I wanted to just get it bored .40 over because he says that .30 wont be enough to clean up the cylinders. Will .40 be fine?

I was looking into getting some Weisco pistons and using my stock rods n crank (getting the crank turned and micro polished), and having the rotating assembly balanced. What do you guys think about that? Any info is much appreciated.

Thank You,

Andy
Old 05-28-2009, 08:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No, not true.
If the stock cooling system can deal with people pushing 15+ PSI boost from a 22RTE, it can deal with stock boost and .040 over. The biggest problem would come from making sure the compression ratio isn't adversely affected by the overbore and larger pistons, which if not dealt with could lead to detonation (but not likely since stock internals will handle 15+ PSI boost).
Now the machinist may be accurate in saying .030 isn't enough and .040 is what you need but to suggest that installing proper oversized pistons will over tax the cooling system suggests he's not all that familiar with these engines.

Personally, I think you'll be fine.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
why would lager pistons cause... nevermind...

agreed with Abe; I'd be more concerned about PSI problems from the change in the combustion chamber volume more than I would overheating

Old 05-30-2009, 03:57 PM

Supra guys run .40 over on 7Ms and 2JZs all the time, and there's less material between the cylinders on those than on the 22Rs.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:17 PM

Nice!!! that is all good news....any one know where i can order some .040 over forged pistons that aren't $500-$600. i thought i saw some wiseco's .040 over online for under $400 somewhere, but can seem to find it. im goin to try calling toysport tomorrow but all suggestions are appreciated.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
why would lager pistons cause... nevermind...
A bigger diameter cylinder means room for more air/fuel. If the piston crown isn't altered appropriately, having more air/fuel means a higher compression ratio. Although it's not a huge change in cylinder volume, with a turbocharger pumping in 40-50% more air/fuel the change in volume will affect the compression ratio under boost.
If you can relate to using a larger diameter bore master cylinder on the brake system means more brake fluid is moved when you press the pedal, you might be able to picture what I mean.

Originally Posted by pancake_ef2
Nice!!! that is all good news....any one know where i can order some .040 over forged pistons that aren't $500-$600. i thought i saw some wiseco's .040 over online for under $400 somewhere, but can seem to find it. im goin to try calling toysport tomorrow but all suggestions are appreciated.
Any reputable toyota parts supplier should be able to get something. You might try contacting engnbldr.com or even LCE[/URL] to get prices and info
Old 06-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
A bigger diameter cylinder means room for more air/fuel. If the piston crown isn't altered appropriately, having more air/fuel means a higher compression ratio. Although it's not a huge change in cylinder volume, with a turbocharger pumping in 40-50% more air/fuel the change in volume will affect the compression ratio under boost.
If you can relate to using a larger diameter bore master cylinder on the brake system means more brake fluid is moved when you press the pedal, you might be able to picture what I mean.
oh I'm not arguing that it alters compression; I agree with you 100% on that

but what does that have to do with overheating? that's what threw me off...
Old 06-08-2009, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
oh I'm not arguing that it alters compression; I agree with you 100% on that

but what does that have to do with overheating? that's what threw me off...
lol. yeah. higher compression can cause detonation. detonation can cause abnormally high cylinder temps. high cylinder temps means more heat for the cooling system to deal with. make sense now?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

lol. yeah. higher compression can cause detonation. detonation can cause abnormally high cylinder temps. high cylinder temps means more heat for the cooling system to deal with. make sense now?
well when you put it like that...

well played Abe, well played...

Old 06-08-2009, 07:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
doesn't the thinner cylinder wall's make it want to run hotter? or does it just make get to operating temp faster? or none of the above?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
doesn't the thinner cylinder wall's make it want to run hotter? or does it just make get to operating temp faster? or none of the above?
Thinner cylinder walls will tend to run hotter. Hot metal expands, and possibly warps if it has no particular direction to expand in. Warped cylinder walls create a situation where the rings have to compress and expand during each stroke in order to maintain the compression and oil sealing. If the cooling system is designed properly, it will scrub heat away from the walls sufficiently well to keep that warpage from happening but if it can't you end up with a situation where the rings cannot seal the cylinder / piston properly and possibly have the piston itself contact the cylinder wall.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:19 PM

Thinner cylinder walls will tend to run hotter. Hot metal expands, and possibly warps if it has no particular direction to expand in. Warped cylinder walls create a situation where the rings have to compress and expand during each stroke in order to maintain the compression and oil sealing. If the cooling system is designed properly, it will scrub heat away from the walls sufficiently well to keep that warpage from happening but if it can't you end up with a situation where the rings cannot seal the cylinder / piston properly and possibly have the piston itself contact the cylinder wall.
that is the same thing a few of my instructors told me.......

i emailed engnbldr for some pistons.....anyone use his pistons on 22RTE?? are they oem quality or better??
Old 06-09-2009, 06:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
>>>*Well, here I sit at my Warren place with honest to gosh HI-Speed! We are remote at the other place and all we can get is dialup, (or wireless which only works when the Sun shines.)...tough to get some sites open on dialup..

*Anyway, thinner cylinder walls do heat up a tad more. The reason isn't all compression, it's mostly friction.

Cylinder walls pant like a Dog when the engine is running, they actually expand and contract with each cycle. This increases drag which is heat.

Normally not really a concern with any usual overbore up to around 1.00mm (.040") but in rare cases like an old 427 Ford that was thin to start with then boring becomes a problem. The Yota cooling system handles it easily.

Plenty of meat on the 22R designs, I have had production runs set up and bored 5-6 per day to .040" over and no problems with temps. So if .040" over was going to be a prob then I would have one heck of a lot of folks mad at me.....*EB
Old 06-09-2009, 09:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by engnbldr
>>>*Well, here I sit at my Warren place with honest to gosh HI-Speed! We are remote at the other place and all we can get is dialup, (or wireless which only works when the Sun shines.)...tough to get some sites open on dialup..

*Anyway, thinner cylinder walls do heat up a tad more. The reason isn't all compression, it's mostly friction.

Cylinder walls pant like a Dog when the engine is running, they actually expand and contract with each cycle. This increases drag which is heat.

Normally not really a concern with any usual overbore up to around 1.00mm (.040") but in rare cases like an old 427 Ford that was thin to start with then boring becomes a problem. The Yota cooling system handles it easily.

Plenty of meat on the 22R designs, I have had production runs set up and bored 5-6 per day to .040" over and no problems with temps. So if .040" over was going to be a prob then I would have one heck of a lot of folks mad at me.....*EB
thats what i thought, thanks EB and ABE..