Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RET Smokes, rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RET Smokes, rebuilt?

Hey Guys, I'm looking at a 1986 Truck with the 22RET (turbo) engine.

The seller says that he rebuilt the turbo and the engine, but it constantly smokes.

here's what he says, i bolded the important parts.

Originally Posted by ebayseller
Up for auction is a 1986 toyota pickup, it is a 22ret, which means it is a very rare find, came from the factory turbo charged giving you more horse power, and a smaller displacement giving you good power and good gas mileage. it is 4 wheel drive with 4 hi and low gears this was a project truck but i am moving on the 22nd and cannot take it. I have rebuild the engine which includs all new valves, rods, rebuilt crank, new block, and has almost no miles on rebuilt engine. the turbo is also completely rebuilt and has almost no miles on it, the truck smokes when it runs, so it needs something repaired but shouldnt be the engine or turbo because they are rebuilt. I do not know what is wrong with it and i am selling it as is, without smog.
last i checked, the only four things that could cause it to smoke oil would be blown turbo, worn rings, leaking valve guides, and blown head gasket.

All these should be fixed in a rebuild, right? So maybe it's just a ˟˟˟˟˟ty rebuild?
Old 04-15-2007, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by NaeSLaS
Hey Guys, I'm looking at a 1986 Truck with the 22RET (turbo) engine.

The seller says that he rebuilt the turbo and the engine, but it constantly smokes.

here's what he says, i bolded the important parts.

last i checked, the only four things that could cause it to smoke oil would be blown turbo, worn rings, leaking valve guides, and blown head gasket.

All these should be fixed in a rebuild, right? So maybe it's just a ˟˟˟˟˟ty rebuild?
yeah... seems really odd. don't think the guy knows a whole lot. could be a dead mouse in the exhaust manifold
Old 04-15-2007, 04:52 PM

its possible there's a leaky seal somewhere letting oil into the intake...or somehow oil made its way into the exaust....

on my supra there's a seal between the throttle body and intake that, if it leaks, will let oil into the inkate and burn in all 6 cylinders... i'm not familliar enough with the 22r (let alone the RET) to know potential spots. but its a thought.

hopefully someone with a RET knows...
Old 04-15-2007, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 22RET and 22RE aren't that different.
A good rebuild of the motor runs $800-$1k between quality parts and proper machine work. I think it's kinda unusual that he's saying that it's got a "new" block, but he's rebuilt the crank. To the best of my knowledge, buying a "new" block alone is prohibitively expensive... A "short" block maybe - meaning everything in the lower end.. Ask for receipts for the work he says he's got done.

To be done properly, the block gets machined to the piston specs on a per-bore basis. Pistons, particularly high volume cast pistons tend to vary a bit in size, so a good machine shop will bore and then wait the final hone based on measurements of the pistons.

22RE rods rarely need to be replaced.. So again, something there is odd.

Rebuilding the turbo - that's easy to get wrong... And I speak from experience. He should have a receipt for that turbo rebuild, including full dynamic balance - otherwise assume it's junk.

I'd assume that it's something significant in the motor.. Most likely the turbo.. But again, assume it's major until proven otherwise.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:24 PM

yeah...and i think these turbos are harder to come by than most...so plan on some extra $$$ if you want to get a new one. but i dunno how much rebuilding one costs.