Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RE- York on board air COMPLETE

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 10:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The compressor actually saved my butt today, while I was exploring an old copper mine of in the mountain. I was alone and I left my shovel at home as I the purpose of the trip was to go salmon fishing earlier in the day. The river level came up with me on the bank opposite the truck, so I made a hasty retreat just in time to make it across the river. Then I went about finding something else to do. I went to an old copper mine and drove up the access road.

At the end of the road, I drove into what I though was some dirt, and it was a field of the stickiest mud I've ever seen. Usually West Coast mud is watery soil and sand, this fine silt mud and it was like peanut butter. You couldn't walk on it, as your feet would get stuck. I had one tire 1' deep in that crap, another two in a couple inches of the stuff and on stuff you could actually walk on. I deflated my tires a bit then went off looking for traction. Found an old empty oil drum, smashed it flat with boulders, then jammed it under one of the back tires. Was almost ready to haul out the HiLift jack, but I was able to rock it back and forth until the tire caught on the oil drum and hauled me out. Wouldn't have caught at street pressure. The lower tire pressure allows the tire tread to flex a bit and grab better/ clear the mud in this case.

Last edited by Matt16; 10-19-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the fast reply! Do you know of any changes required for 22R?
Old 10-14-2008, 05:55 PM

I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if the A/C systems were teh same.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:23 AM

Here's a good writeup on adding on board air to a V6 4runner by using the A/C pump.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...s-pics-155109/
Old 11-30-2008, 11:38 PM

Update: I've been dropping the pressure in the tires down to around 20psi on backroad- rides like a Cadillac. It takes me 5 min to air down and 5 min to air back up.

Very happy about this modification- the only better value mod so far has been the rear locker. About the only way to improve up this would be to have a central tire inflation system like on the Hummer H1. That wouldn't likely be an easy mod though lol...
Old 11-30-2008, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is some great info. cool man.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:36 PM

I'm getting some loud vibrations at about 3000rpm, I'm almost certain it is from the compressor. I'm going to check it out tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:20 PM

more info on the bracket can be found here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...r-22re-152143/. I must warn you though, that I build a bracket as per instruction off PirateBB, and it didn't fit, the one below I designed and it actually works on a stock 22RE with OEM-height engine mounts.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...mplete-155162/

Used these sites when figuring out my OBA:
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/yorkair.html

http://www.mudinyerioffroad.com/yorkOBA.htm

I recommend doing this mod to your compressor as well so your compressor oil doesn't spill out down the air line.

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/york_oilmod.html

On finding the compressor:
http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/...ork_Donors.php
Old 01-31-2009, 01:12 AM

I bought an butterfly impact wrench for my truck... so now I can pop the hood, and hook up the air line undo bolts... its wicked! There's an Mastercraft air tool set for $120 at a local store- includes a 1/2" impact (250ft-lbs), air ratchet, air chisel and a bunch of regular and deep well impact sockets.

Anyone want to suggest the next air powered item i buy? I like the idea of an air powered blender. Real and frivolous suggestions welcome!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey a angle die grinder would be nice.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16
I bought an butterfly impact wrench for my truck... so now I can pop the hood, and hook up the air line undo bolts... its wicked! There's an Mastercraft air tool set for $120 at a local store- includes a 1/2" impact (250ft-lbs), air ratchet, air chisel and a bunch of regular and deep well impact sockets.

Anyone want to suggest the next air powered item i buy? I like the idea of an air powered blender. Real and frivolous suggestions welcome!

Crappy tire eh? I was gonna buy the exact same set, too bad Im broke
Old 01-31-2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Crappy tire eh? I was gonna buy the exact same set, too bad Im broke
Me too, that's the problem...but we can dream.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:58 AM

More pics:

Bracket with pump removed for servicing:

See how the bracket is bolted to the OEM 22RE A/C bracket:

4 bolts connect the bracket to the York.

Sweet, twice as many pistons as I thought. Should have checked the oil before installed it. This was all that remained when I opened it up. Stupid on my part. It still works just fine though.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:18 PM

MattTse5 and I have been cooresponding, and he's asked some decent questions:

Originally Posted by MattTse5
hey i'm in the middle of making my oba braket, and the picture of the actuall braket vs the diagram you made showing that it is 2.5cm thick, doesn't really match..... unless the angle the bracket (in the picture) it is on is decieving..... i was wondering if you could tell me how thick the braket is . if it isn't 2.5 cm

btw i am using 1/4" plate

thanks
Matt
Yeah, the blueprints are correct. I believe the spacer was 2.5cm wide (so total would be 2.5cm+ 1/2") I think, what ever it said on the blueprints. You can go any wider than that as you will bump into the IFS bits if I recall. You could go a little thinner than that, but then getting the bolts in between the sides of the bracket could be a pain.

Let me know if there's anything else you need help with. I'm very pleased with the way the mod turned out. I'm pretty sure there is no tire in existence it couldn't fill in less than 3 minutes, and just about no air tool could overwhelm it. You're going to love it.
cool thanks for the info, i wont have to worry about the ifs bits as i have a solid axle. as for mounting aligning the 2 plates in relation of lining up the compessor with the stock ac pullys/tensioner pully ..... do you have a measurment for that?
I ended up eyeballing it. I drilled a hole through both plates and bolted them together (with the spacer in the middle), lined up the compressor pulley with the AC pulley then tighten up the bolt holding everything together. I then welded the bracket together and removed the bolt leaving the hold for drainage. My belts haven't worn any in the 5 months I've had OBA. Looks dead straight too so I'm guessing I did an alright job.

Here is an approximation:

thanks, is this the origianl design that you coppied?? and didn't work? i'm wondering if the 13/32 mesurement is correct....
Yeah, I played with that design first, but it didn't work out. I remember that it wouldn't have worked with my IFS frame so that's what caused me to abandon it in the first place, but I thing there was something else wrong with it. There are two groves on the York pulley, and my design rides the inner groove. That one rides the outer groove and the compressor my interfere with some something else. I know my measurements are accurate and that the fit is good though, so you're safe with it, whereas I don't know about the other design.

I suggest you make a mock-up and test it before you do the final welds if you try the other design.

Last edited by Matt16; 03-10-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:25 PM

My bracket broke a while back- the welds cracked. I've since had a friend weld it back together with proper penetration. and I gussetted the living ...err.. daylights out of it. I also found out the front seal (called a "shaft seal") was toast. I replaced the seal, refilled the compressor with oil, painted it black, re-bolted everything back together and now once again have the working OBA system, but its better now because it isn't flimsy.

The shaft seal came from 4 Seasons air conditioning- a OEM replacement parts brand. My local autoparts store carries them and was able to find the correct part by searching for a AC front seal for a 1982 Ford F250 with a 6.6L engine. http://www.4s.com/ROOT-Home1/Content.aspx
Old 08-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Im still jelous I better not let my g/f see this, or else i'l have a new project!!
Old 08-15-2009, 09:41 PM

I'm convinced a York can be mounted to a 3vze. It would have to sit way down low, but I think its doable. You would want to protect it with a beefy front skid though- the stock skid would be too risky.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:20 PM

Pleased to report that the stiffening of the bracket has totally eliminated the vibrations... but now its easier to hear the shot bearing on the compressor pulley. Not dealing with that until it welds itself solid. My exhaust rattles loud enough so that the pulley bearing isn't too irritating.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

Haha, must be a 22re thing. Is it loose at the ypipe mount??
Old 08-18-2009, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Haha, must be a 22re thing. Is it loose at the ypipe mount??
No, the back of the muffler is rusty and is no longer mechanically connected to the tailpipe- it just kind of sits there.

Quick Reply: 22RE- York on board air COMPLETE