86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RE Top End Work

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE Top End Work

Hey Guys long time lurker and first time poster. Thanks first of all for all the valuable tidbits of info over the last 3 years since I acquired my 86 4runner. Acquired at 250k miles and now just under 280k without ever stranding me in Mexico or the Sierra Nevada backcountry. I have slowly been restoring the rig to as oem condition as possible. Trying to do my best to use toyota parts where I can and not skimping on parts cost since I am not paying a mechanic. I have done a ton of research and am not quite sure what to do about my next maintanence need. I have a burnt valve in cylinder 2. The original head was rebuilt already at 170k miles (per my folder of PO records). I want to get the truck back to good running stock condition, no crazy porting or Cam. So under the assumption I get the head off and the bottom end is fine, do I:
  • Order Toyota parts and have the original head machined/rebuilt
  • Order a 22reperformance.com head
  • Order an engnblder.com head
Is it worth getting machined rockers and new adjuster screws to go with everything else? I am not clear how important it is to have my camshaft reground as well (if I re-use my camshaft for the engnblder head).

Then if I get the head off and the bottom end is bad, do I:
  • Spend 6 months with a disabled vehicle waiting for 22reperformance to build me an engine ( not my only vehicle)
  • Have a local machine shop rebuild my engine with parts from:
    • Engnbldr
    • Toyota oem
    • 22reperformance
Curious what other people who have been through this would do.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:15 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Unless there is cooling port corrosion that makes your head unuseable, you will very likely be able to have it worked back to like new condition.

Toyota oem parts are best, especially exhaust valves where correct metalurgy is most important.

The likelyhood is that the cam will show enough wear that you will want to replace it.

Stock grind, or performance grind would be up to you.

You'll want new rockers to match your new cam.

With 280K on the engine, a comphrensive rebuild would be prudent.

I build my own engines with local machine work and Japanese parts.

Any of the options you list would likely provide a good result.

You gotta pick, or switch.

Last edited by millball; 10-10-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:07 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
If your doing the Top end best to do the Bottom as well .with that kind of mileage

So many times the Bottom end feels neglected after all the Tender Loving Care goes to the head and just for spite will cause a rod bearing to fail

If you can do all the other wrenching no reason the machine work can`t be done and you do the rest yourself
Old 10-11-2016, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by millball

The likelyhood is that the cam will show enough wear that you will want to replace it.

Stock grind, or performance grind would be up to you.

You'll want new rockers to match your new cam.
Thank you much for your thoughts. Would you machine the original rockers or buy new?
Old 10-11-2016, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
If your doing the Top end best to do the Bottom as well .with that kind of mileage

So many times the Bottom end feels neglected after all the Tender Loving Care goes to the head and just for spite will cause a rod bearing to fail

If you can do all the other wrenching no reason the machine work can`t be done and you do the rest yourself
Yes, I agree and am torn as I am expecting my first kid in 2 months. So that is a big undertaking to do my first full engine rebuild considering what I have coming in December. Also I am concerned that the first gen 4runner may not be conducive to hauling around a baby/toddler. I have tested out the carseat and it seems doable with the passenger seat sliding forward so far, but I hate to sink so much into the rig only to find out doesnt fit my needs in 6-12 months.

Also I made a list of "while you are in there" parts to replace as well should I decide to do the full rebuild. Anything here seem un-necessary? Anything I am missing?

oil switch, temp sender, rad hoses, heater hoses Heater Stainless Steel pipes, coolant Bypass hose, clutch kitf, lywheel machined, clutch fork, release collar, fork pivot ball, power steer bearing, ac idler, crankshaft pulley, motor mounts, thermostat, EGR cooler plate, new belts, new alternator

Last edited by SDBoogie; 10-11-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:29 AM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by SDBoogie
Thank you much for your thoughts. Would you machine the original rockers or buy new?
I don't know enough about how the surface of the rocker arm is hardened, to say for sure.

Sometimes steel has a case-hardening that weakens at depth, while other times materials are hardened thru and thru.

I don't know how long-lived reworked rocker arms are, maybe somebody else can tell their experience with them,

Because of this uncertainty, I just purchased a set of new rocker arms for my latest project because the existing rockers were found badly worn.

Last edited by millball; 10-11-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SDBoogie
Yes, I agree and am torn as I am expecting my first kid in 2 months. So that is a big undertaking to do my first full engine rebuild considering what I have coming in December. Also I am concerned that the first gen 4runner may not be conducive to hauling around a baby/toddler. I have tested out the carseat and it seems doable with the passenger seat sliding forward so far, but I hate to sink so much into the rig only to find out doesnt fit my needs in 6-12 months.
I have an '86 T4R as well. Obviously, 4 doors make a big difference in getting those car seats in and out but some designs are more convenient than others. If you've already had the seat installed to test the fit, then you likely already know how much of a hassle it might be. You may want to be sure both of you are willing to put up with it though (so you're not regretting the decision 6-12 months later).

In my case I've never transported my own child in my T4R so I can't help you with personal experience. .....that was more out of concern for his safety than convenience. I'm not criticizing the choice (that's an individual's decision to make based on their own scenario) but having two modern vehicles in our stable as alternatives, I simply prefer to use one of those when he is traveling with us.

btw, Congrats on the upcoming birth of your child.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI - there is a "rear tether tie down" threading in the rear cargo area for the baby seat.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...runner-121679/

I've done it (taken the kids, in car seats) on a vacation trip.

We also have a 2008 Subaru Forester -- and thats probably a far safer car in a wreck.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good info and nice solution ewong.

Yeah, safety has come a long way since the 80's. The Forester and even my Challenger are far safer in a collision than my 4Runner. ....although, given that my son is older now and in a booster, there may be some situations that I might take him for a ride in in my truck in the future. I will have to install shoulder belts though (the rear only has lap belts).

I guess in my case I never had to rely on it to get around so I never really had to put any thought into transporting my child in it. ....it gets driven maybe once or twice every two weeks.