Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re tap the gas to start

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 06:53 AM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
22re tap the gas to start

Yet another "I need to crank the engine a couple times and tap the gas to start it" thread. It's not the end of the world, but I like my engine to run properly. (and the looks at wo

Symptoms-
  • Not really temperature dependent, but obviously when it's freaking cold in the morning it's harder to start.
  • Letting the key sit in start for a few seconds, THEN pushing the clutch in seems to help, indicating fuel pressure, but it isn't always sure-fire (pun intended) so that could be my imagination.
  • What definitely does help is having my foot tapping the gas as I let off the key.
  • After releasing the key, I need to feather the gas for a couple seconds to keep it from dying
  • The other thing I notice that may play in: every afternoon after work it's a hard start, then the only light on my way home is a mile or so down the road (engine neither hot, or cold). At that light, I usually (maybe always) have the issue where pressing the brake causes the engine to rev up and down, as though the idle adjust is set too high. (i have a new idle adjust screw, and (think) it is set properly). This issue might be outside the scope of this thread, but could relate to the IAV or something.

Suspect things compiled from research-
  • idle air valve/aux air valve, which is it called?
  • fuel pump
  • fuel pump check valve
  • Grounding of sensors somewhere
  • bad csi timer sensor
  • bad temp sensor
  • my EGR system was removed by a PO
  • cold start injector
  • could have a messed up vacuum hose somewhere
  • The starter relay mod
  • injectors need cleaned
  • throttle body needs cleaned
  • fuel filter
Things I have done already-
  • fuel filter when I got the truck August 2016
  • new idle adjust screw from LCE and set it to 600-700 rpm with the engine hot
  • battery is fine
  • o2 sensor (can't think of any reason that's relevant here, posting it anyway tho)
  • I just checked and i​​​​​It looks like I have that relay built into my 86 that rad4runner champions here https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52323181. have not done the relay mod yet.
To do-
  • clean sensor grounds
  • relay bypass mod
  • fuel pump hotwire troubleshooting jumper
Those that know the 22re inside and out, pls help. Anything I'm missing, anything on here obviously irrelevant?

This seems to be a problem many of us have, and all the troubleshooting threads I see on it are scattered in different directions.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:41 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by magnet18
Yet another "I need to crank the engine a couple times and tap the gas to start it" thread. ...
Howdy,
Please see my comments in lime on things that I've had experience with...
  • Not really temperature dependent, but obviously when it's freaking cold in the morning it's harder to start...
  • bad csi timer sensor, cold start injector.
  • bad temp sensor...
[rad4runner: CSI not firing, bad CSI timer and/or CSI timer switch ground (thread where it screws into the block) Will usually cause only hard-starts while cranking. However, a leaky CSI may cause rich condition while running.
Although not clearly temp-dependent... wrong temp signal to the ECU may affect idle. After 30 years, I think a thorough cleaning of temp senders, their mountings, and wiring is a good idea to help eliminate doubts on them. I recently did mine and it fixed my hard cold starts and rough cold idle.
  • clean sensor grounds,Grounding of sensors somewhere... [rad4runner: CSI timer switch relies on mounting thread on block for grounding.]
  • The starter relay mod. [rad4runner: only helps with cranking but whether the problem occurs or not, it definitely needs to be done because the starter relay is wired wrong from the factory]
  • relay bypass mod [rad4runner: same as starter relay fix?]
  • fuel pump hotwire troubleshooting jumper [rad4runner: I just did timing and RPM check and a nicely done jumper with proper spade connectors, 1/4-inch I think, would have helped make my job quicker and safer]
  • fuel pump stuff [rad4runner: may I suggest a fuel pressure gage piggybacked on CSI? Inexpensive mod that helps eliminate doubt on fuel system- write-up is on my thread. I'd like to eventually replace with electrical sender and gauge on dash]
Old 07-11-2017, 03:22 PM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
I think, of all the things in the world, after cleaning temp sensors and replacing a starter and idle screw gasket and messing with idle and checking every vacuum line and contemplating sending my injectors out for cleaning and for a few months... cleaning my battery terminals fixed this

Old 07-13-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by magnet18
... cleaning my battery terminals fixed this
Simple things first always works