Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re swap efi to carb

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re swap efi to carb

Hi all!
I want to swap my efi to carb. Will I have problems with electrical, fuel, or anything. I hate fuel injection and can build a carb setup that will work better. How crazy am I for wanting to do this?
Old 05-10-2009, 03:13 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
well most people want to do the opposite of what you want to do....

oh and welcome to YT.

tr
Old 05-10-2009, 03:20 AM

I know it sounds crazy. Thanks for the welcome. You are up early. It is 5:20 here in colorado.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To go to carbs is not a bad idea but selecting the right carb setup is important. The dual Weber DCOE carbs are the best for overall performance and give you excellent throttle responce, as good as fuel injection. If you have the money to spend and are going to keep your truck then go for it but if are not sure you will keep your truck don't do it because you most likely never recover the cost. Good luck on your decision.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
yeah your pretty crazy, but if you wanna get rid of all that efi crap and give it to me, ill give you all my carb crap i cant get up a 70% grade without haveing idleing/running issues
Old 05-10-2009, 08:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Abe here on the forums says swapping from EFI to carb is against the law. Not sure why. I've always wanted to do a carb swap. injectors are too sensitive for me.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
its against smog regulations, so if you live in a state that does emissions testing you cant do the swap it wont pass, but out here in the good ole states it doesent matter what you do to your vehicle as long as it runs and their aint parts fallin off
Old 05-10-2009, 08:21 AM

dont go back to the stone ages! efi is so much nicer than a carb.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I got a offy intake might make the swap a little sweeter with a weber carb..

I would put it on..but I want EFI instead of carb..

Last edited by Outsane; 05-10-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by yoterr
its against smog regulations, so if you live in a state that does emissions testing you cant do the swap it wont pass, but out here in the good ole states it doesent matter what you do to your vehicle as long as it runs and their aint parts fallin off
He's in evergreen colorado, and I believe they do smog tests there. I'm on colorado, and as far as I know there's only 2 or 3 counties that don't do smog tests, but I could be wrong. heck, i didn't even know the county I live in doesnt do smog tests. I had my truck registered at my parent's.

If they dont do smog tests in evergreen, they need to start. keep it clean out there, because that place is nice.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:18 AM

Keep the EFI, you will be much happier with it. If you are dead set on running a carburetor set up I would strongly suggest a Webber carburetor. You will not be passing ANY emissions test though!
Old 05-10-2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by suncomb1
To go to carbs is not a bad idea but selecting the right carb setup is important. The dual Weber DCOE carbs are the best for overall performance and give you excellent throttle response, as good as fuel injection. If you have the money to spend and are going to keep your truck then go for it but if are not sure you will keep your truck don't do it because you most likely never recover the cost. Good luck on your decision.
LOL...I run the dual DCOE 40s paired up to the CALMINI intake manifold on my 1.6L 8valve samurai. You could say it "rapes the ape". They take a lot of TLC though.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well since I was mentioned....

If the truck was available in the year of manufacture with either carb or EFI it's not 'illegal' per se. It would just have to be re-certified with the carb equipment which means everything from the carb'd engine would have to be installed: from the carb to the appropriate distributor and emissions equipment (O2, converter, etc) to the ECU.

If it wasn't available with a carb in the states during its model / year (which would basically be anything newer than 88) it becomes a lot more involved but still not impossible. Even in California- the draconian state- it's possible to certify a carb'd vehicle. Federal regulations prohibit installation of equipment that modifies emissions (as does Cali) but California also allows (with testing / referee program) modifications if they can be demonstrated to not negatively affect emissions. And since Federal law prohibits any state from infringing on the rights of another state, it's technically possible to make it street legal if you cert it as a Cali vehicle and go through the referee hoops / dog and pony show.

However, it kind of defeats the purpose though of going carb'd since it would basically have to be a stock vehicle (with near stock performance) to pass Cali regs. And the money invested could buy another vehicle more appropriate for what you want.

The disadvantages of going to carbs is that the carbs don't like extreme angles unless the float bowl is sealed (against the law per emissions requirements) so can flood or lean out on hills / cambered situations. EFI avoids that since the fuel rail is kept pressurized by the fuel pump / pressure regulator, diverting unnecessary fuel back to the tank. And if the angle is so great the fuel pick up in the tank starves, being carb'd or EFI won't counter that issue.

Oh, and the EFI trucks produce more torque and horsepower stock than the carb's do, when properly tuned and maintained. Carb's are just easier to deal with (ahem) since you can re-jet and turn screws to compensate for things.

So ask yourself, would you rather spend a few hundred for carb(s) and then 1000 for certifying it, or just fix what's broken with the EFI?

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-10-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:11 PM

i dont smog my truck i can do whatever i want with it. 25+ years no smog testing required. i can blow oil out my butt surrounded with flames if i choose too and sometimes i do LOL

If you are going carb go Weber reset the float for offroad use, refer to the weber rebuilding specs for the measurements I think its 40mm dont qoute me i am sure i am wrong its been a few years. Stock carbs are horrible off camber and maintance is a joke.

Now when off road I have little problems in vertical and off camber situations UNLESS I stall my truck then I am F'd i have to hold the skinny down to get er fired up again, which means i am trying to operate 3 petals with 2 feet : press gas all the way down, press brake all the way down, get it fired up then hold clutch in to get in gear I am at 3 petals now still giving it gas to keep it running then release brake and clutch to continue forward WHAT A PITA soon i am going propane i am also dreaming of a line lock as well

keep the efi, improve your top end flow to increase your HP and throttle response. As alien as EFI may seem once you understand it. It is actually easier than carb IMO
Old 05-10-2009, 04:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Plumbrbob
As alien as EFI may seem once you understand it. It is actually easier than carb
I'm putting that in my signature.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
I'm putting that in my signature.
LOL thats awesome
Old 05-22-2009, 10:11 PM

Thanks to all of you. OK, OK Ill stick with the efi. GEEEZZZZ
Old 04-17-2011, 02:09 PM

efi to carb swap

Originally Posted by DupermanDave
Abe here on the forums says swapping from EFI to carb is against the law. Not sure why. I've always wanted to do a carb swap. injectors are too sensitive for me.
its not against the law on pre 96 vehicals. as long as it passes the safety inspection. its perfectly fine
Old 04-17-2011, 02:28 PM

going to take off efi on 22re and go to carb. has anyone done this?

im going to take off my efi on my 22re 88 truck and go to carb. has anyone done this and been successful? i can do it im just looking for suggestions. thanks!
Old 01-23-2016, 11:39 PM

I am curious about this too, I have an 86 22r and was wondering if I can just swap the intake on a 87 efi block? Do you know of any threads that talk about doing it? So far all I find is people talking about it in theory but no one that knows for sure, anyways let me know if ya would, thanks.

Quick Reply: 22re swap efi to carb