Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE swap from '94 to '91 body

Old 09-02-2016, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE swap from '94 to '91 body

I bought a 1991 Toyota 4x4 5 speed pickup. It did not have a motor in it, the motor is in all parts. I found a 1994 parts Toyota with a running 22re for $200. I thought shoot ill just buy it, drop the motor in my truck, and then scrap it. So I did. I was in a hurry to get this job done before college started back, so me and some friends started the process. I am not a mechanic, and this is my first engine swap. I ran into some problems, but got through them.
Everything is on the motor except for the air conditioning compressor. One of the problems I am having is all of the sensors. Not all of the sensors from the body fit the engine. The fuel rail sensors, alternator, starter, and sensors on engine cover all hook up. The TPS sensor does not, there is a sensor on the back of the intake that I do not know what it connects to, and there is a big one in the harness for the alternator that I have nothing to connect to. Also, the distributor plug wouldn't fit so I took it off and replaced it with the 1991 distributor. It didn't fit, so I took it off and removed both caps off of both distributors and unscrewed the electrical systems and swapped them. So I have the electrical sensors for the '91 inside the '94 distributor and hooked it up. I tried to start the truck but nothing. Later, my friend told me that since I took the distributor out, that it is no longer in time. I had no idea that that would happen. I will take pictures of the sensors that wont connect later and add them to the post.
If anyone can give me some ideas and suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I just want to get this thing running Thanks, Dillon
Old 09-02-2016, 11:41 AM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
is that rear sensor plugged into the egr? need pics.

if a sensor doesn't plug into the harness, swap in the original sensor.

you should have put the engine at top dead center before pulling the distributor, so what you'll have to do now is set it at tdc without the distributor being in there... there have been lots of posts on here about how to do that.

not sure why you'd need to swap the guts on those distributors, since both engines are 22re's the mechanical fitment of both distributors into the engine should be the same... but i don't have that specific experience, maybe someone else will weigh in.

you'll probably have to remove the throttle body and put the older tb in? did you try comparing the tb's? worst case would be swapping the tps i'd think.