Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE sluggish

Old 01-17-2010, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same symptoms after a fool tried to "help", and "fix" my rich running 22re.
He adjusted the timing, so it would run real good at idle.
It did, but anything up to 3000 rpm's were not happening when driving.
After I could not get out of an intersection, up a hill or anywhere sensible. Turned the thing into a complete road hazard.
One screw by the distributor, and bumped the timing bak to where it used to be, and things are good again.

I'm no expert, but the same symptoms happened to me, and easy fix.
One way or the other, make sure the timing is correct.

I had a new fuel filter, new injectors,new plugs, new cap and rotor, new wires,freshly adjusted (new)TPS,a clean TB, adjusted dashpot and throttle stop, good coolant, new coolant temp sensor, a working AFM, a clean filter, a cat with less than 3000Km on it, fresh oil, full tank of gas, no codes and still it can be made to run like crap.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4Reigner
I had the same symptoms after a fool tried to "help", and "fix" my rich running 22re.
He adjusted the timing, so it would run real good at idle.
It did, but anything up to 3000 rpm's were not happening when driving.
After I could not get out of an intersection, up a hill or anywhere sensible. Turned the thing into a complete road hazard.
One screw by the distributor, and bumped the timing bak to where it used to be, and things are good again.

I'm no expert, but the same symptoms happened to me, and easy fix.
One way or the other, make sure the timing is correct.

I had a new fuel filter, new injectors,new plugs, new cap and rotor, new wires,freshly adjusted (new)TPS,a clean TB, adjusted dashpot and throttle stop, good coolant, new coolant temp sensor, a working AFM, a clean filter, a cat with less than 3000Km on it, fresh oil, full tank of gas, no codes and still it can be made to run like crap.

Whats weird is its so intermittent and the way it drives while its warming up (Hesitation, then at a certain RPM it takes off), once its warm it seems to run good, but has an intermittent sputter/hesitation once in awhile like its not getting fuel.

I just don't know anymore, Im changing out a fuel filter today which looks brand new, gonna cut it open and see if its full of crap?

Heres what I got when I tested the TPS:

0.00mm VTA-E2: 600 ohms
0.57mm IDL-E2: 16.6ohms (4crawler says <2.3k?)
0.85mm IDL-E2: Infinite
WOT VTA-E2: 5.73k ohms, no dead spots through the range
VCC-E2: 6.46k ohms steady through the range

Throttle stop and dashpot are set to FSM specs, play in TB shaft is minimal. Havn't tested the TPS signal at the ECU yet but I don't think its my problem. I took the cover off the ECU to check for moisture or burnt caps and it looks mint, no corrosion nothing.

02 Sensor resistance was in spec, Injectors look newer, connections are all good.

No codes, timing is damn close to 5* BTDC, reset it just to make sure, Could still have jumped a tooth. How bad is the valve cover on these? what kind of seal do they use? Would be worth pulling to see where my timing chain is sitting.. even then I guess it could jump at the bottom sprocket too..

Last edited by Island_Yota; 01-19-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:49 AM

Make sure you don't have those crappy platnium plugs (something about they don't fire hot enough?)....had the same problem, changed my plugs...BAM! back to normal
Old 01-19-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by msall006
Make sure you don't have those crappy platnium plugs (something about they don't fire hot enough?)....had the same problem, changed my plugs...BAM! back to normal
Yeah I should probably pull them, it was running great up to a week ago though. Unfortunately I can't find an adapter for my fuel pressure gauge so I can't test that either.

Last edited by Island_Yota; 01-19-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:10 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Originally Posted by Island_Yota
Yeah I should probably pull them, it was running great up to a week ago though. Unfortunately I can't find an adapter for my fuel pressure gauge so I can't test that either.
Man, I have the same ish going on with mine. Did you ever pull the valve cover off and look at the cam gear to see if your timing jumped a tooth, I am wondering if I may need to do this also.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:13 PM

Having the same problem, started about a week ago. Just tested the signal generator (pick up coil) and it was about 100 ohms over spec. I ordered one today but it wont be in until tuesday, ill let you know if that fixes it.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:20 PM

Its running completely fine again. Im not sure why, but im not complaining.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:38 PM

I'm not sure if this is the same problem I am experiencing, maybe you can tell me. My 93 22re 4x4 in sluggish or bogged down or doesn't accelerate at all -- until I get above approximately 3000 rpms or if I push the accelerator to the floor. If I do either, it accelerates perfectly. It is running fine, it just has no power. An hour ago, I took a quick trip to go X-country skiing and it ran and accelerated perfectly for the first 1/2 mile, then it had no acceleration the rest of the 10 mile trip and all the way back. It seems to have everything to do with whether the truck is warm or cold. When the truck is cold (running open loop), it accelerates and runs fine. When it warms up (running closed loop) it loses acceleration and power and has a low idle speed. It seems like there must be a logical explanation for this exact set of symptoms. Is this the same as what you are experiencing?
I have no diagnostic trouble codes.
I tested the O2 sensor as indicated in the FSM and it tests good.
I tested the TPS, it's fine.

Last edited by Don Salo; 03-17-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 01-30-2010, 06:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Aight bubba i have a 1994 toyota pickup 4WD with a 22re 2.4 in it.
And im having the same exact problems you are, just without the stalling out/cutting off.
But the thing is, with mine, it only happens when it rains....
Explain that one.
I know im getting some wires wet under the truck somewhere, but when you said something about hitting puddles before it happened that made me think about mine.
It runs AMAZING till it starts raining, or till i go play in a mud hole somewhere. Whenever you figure this problem out make sure you post it back on here so the rest of us can figure out what the heck is going on with our trucks, cause many many many people are having the same problem, but haven't been able to fix it.
Mine runs reallllllll sluggish Half trottle untill 2800 to 3300 rpms then it KICKS IN and feels like a shot of nitrous. When its dry out, my truck will smoke the 33 trail blazers down, but when it starts actin up...Nothin.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
mine use to sound like it had a cam too, back before the motor rebuild

I'd like to blame mine on a destroyed timing chain guide, and a faulty tensioner, allowing tons of slack in the timing chain... but who knows...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFUoC9M3JLc
Old 02-13-2010, 09:26 PM

Ok so its been raining the last few days, and my truck is having the same symptoms again.

Something is getting wet.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:04 PM

Island Yota: Just a thought...

I had some real odd stuff happening with my 22re truck last year. Posted about it in this thread:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ration-139265/

After reading this thread, and having pretty much the same issue again, I decided to check the wires to my O2 sensor again. Whadya know... moisture in the connector... again

Cleaned that out with electrical contact cleaner spray, let it dry over night, put it back together and wrapped it tight with electric tape... Now everything's fine.

Worth a little time to check those connections. Just my $.02.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok so its been raining the last few days, and my truck is having the same symptoms again.

Something is getting wet.
just a though, what about dielectric grease on plugs/rotor?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:05 AM

Got it finally!

The windshield leaks on the passenger side, it runs down the inside of the A pillar cover, drips onto the speaker, then drips right onto the ecu, it was wet and the wiring harness plugs were dripping wet after a rain the other day. I temp fixed the windshield with some seam sealer, I might seal up the ecu too, can I put dialectric grease on the plugs?

Last edited by Island_Yota; 02-18-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
i belive so
Old 06-30-2010, 04:57 PM

Solved by replacing O2 sensor

Thanks so much! This one was driving me nuts.

I tested my O2 sensor with a multi-meter as outlined in the FSM and it passed. I did NOT test the O2 sensor with propane into the intake as someone had suggested -- maybe that would have shown the problem.

I had no error lights or codes.

Bought a new Bosch O2 sensor for $100 and it solved the problem.

Thanks to all for helping to clear this one up! Thanks to toyotanation.com and to ttora.com for contributions...

Here are a couple of other threads that convinced me I had the same problem and led to the O2 sensor as the solution.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53048

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...84#post3206384
Old 10-18-2010, 12:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Got it finally!

The windshield leaks on the passenger side, it runs down the inside of the A pillar cover, drips onto the speaker, then drips right onto the ecu, it was wet and the wiring harness plugs were dripping wet after a rain the other day. I temp fixed the windshield with some seam sealer, I might seal up the ecu too, can I put dialectric grease on the plugs?

So did this fix your problem?
Mine still does the same thing, not near as often, but often enough.
It rained pretty bad the other day and i noticed i had some water on my passenger side floor mat, and it was coming from under the dashboard.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:43 PM

Question

Im having similar issues =\

Chugging and sluggish if you dump the clutch in 2nd. If im pulling out in 1st sometimes its sluggish and sometimes its purring. Same thing with a rolling start out of a turn in 2nd. Its hit or miss with the bogging so I have no clue whats this issue...

It all started after i went splashing through some puddles yesterday and took it down a short muddy road in 4x4 (4High 2nd gear for half mile).

It could be moisture somewhere in the electrical because the guy i bought the truck from had a body lift and suspension lift and had to extend some of the wiring and did a horrible job. They used electrical tape to wrap up the connectors...sad i know. This might explain the intermittent issue.

It feels like plugs, dirty injectors, fuel filter, timing,....idk a million things. Im not a mechanic. I just changed the oil in it for the first time in my life today so im kinda at the mercy of this forum and my local mechanic for ideas.

Thanks for your help...