Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re problem after washing

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 22re problem after washing

I'll keep this simple and short.

Engine was really oily due to losing my oil cap recently so I simple green'd and power washed my engine on Friday.

I stayed away from important looking boxes/modules I.E. distributor, fuse box, igniter (i think that's what it's called) ect...

"Stayed away" means I didn't full force shoot not they didn't get wet.

After finishing the wash I fired the truck up and it ran fine. I drive about 15 min and it started stumbling hard. The first stumble felt like i ran out of fuel and it was slowing down like it wasn't going to pick up again but it stayed running. I was able to make it home but after the first stumble it would idle fine but the truck wouldn't go above 3k (even if I floored it the rpms would just bounce at 3K like there was some type of rev limiter).

I parked the truck for the night and when I started it Saturday it ran fine 100% back to normal. I chalked it up to something needing to dry out.

Now your asking "but Joe, why did you create a new thread if it's all better!?"

Fast forward to today when I was coming home from work. The truck stumbles real hard again. I pull over and sure enough it's back to bouncing rpms, this time it's 2200 though. I decided to unhook the battery and push the brakes to see if it would "reset". Sure enough I fired it up and ran fine again.

So my question is what could I have gotten wet that would come and go now? My searching brought up a couple results but none of them seamed to be intermittent or be able to be reset.

p.s. I replaced the TPS a couple weeks ago to fix a slight stumble i had at varying speeds so I ruled this out and I've looked at the distributor. It's dry.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:50 PM

check your plug wires if they are cracked it might let water short the wires out my 82 does it after I go mudding once in a while also try taking wire connectors (i.e, all the wire joints and put dielectric grease on them

Last edited by ILLINOISYOTADAWG; 03-01-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
p.s. I replaced the TPS a couple weeks ago to fix a slight stumble i had at varying speeds so I ruled this out and I've looked at the distributor. It's dry.
Before you replace parts, just check the TPS.. its suuuper easy to check, 2 mins with a multimeter.. I accidentally sprayed mine and I had similar sypmtoms.. It's worth the time..
Old 03-02-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by ILLINOISYOTADAWG
check your plug wires if they are cracked it might let water short the wires out my 82 does it after I go mudding once in a while also try taking wire connectors (i.e, all the wire joints and put dielectric grease on them
I bought new oem plug wires the week I purchased the truck but I'll re-check them thanks!

Originally Posted by blue_CA_yota
Before you replace parts, just check the TPS.. its suuuper easy to check, 2 mins with a multimeter.. I accidentally sprayed mine and I had similar sypmtoms.. It's worth the time..
I tried getting the original TPS to work but it just wouldn't pick up right w/ the multimeter. Even the new one I could only get 2 of the 3 positions that the TSM talked about.

Anyone else have any thought on this elusive issue?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:14 AM
Contributing Member

It took me awhile to learn how to wash my engine, it was worth the research here on yotatech.

I always wait for a hot day. I start in the morning. The engine is cool before I start.

For me, anyhow, I cover my TPS, distributor and alternator with plastic wrap and foil (for overkill). If it wont stay, I use a rubber band to hold in place. I use engine degreaser on hard stained spots, but I use mostly simple green for the environment. Then, I turn on my ipod and set it to Sting. He can rock! With him singing, I can use a toothbrush to clean away. This requires lots of patience.

I never used a power washer nor would I. I read too many issues with people using powerwash. Funny, I recall an individual power washing his engine at a pull up car wash. Well, he could start it afterward. A simple medium flow water with no attachment on the hose will do. On occassion I may gentle jet the hose with my finger for the tougher rinse or items with a crevise.

When drying, I just use a rag and let engine drip dry. I'm careful to use air compressor since it can push water into cracks and into electronic parts. I gently use it to get water in deep crevises. It sits with the hood open for an entire HOT day. I don't dare to start it till the next afternoon and at times wait till the next day.

Never had a problem ...ever.

my 2 cents.

Last edited by arielb1; 03-02-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:19 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
WHen I power wash my engine bays, I do it with the engine running I spray everything down pretty much, but I won't lay on anything for an extended amount of time. If while it is running you hear the RPM drop don't spray that part no more. Sorry can't help you with what your problem might be. But maybe pull your distributor cap and make sure the inside is dry.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:10 AM

I tried getting the original TPS to work but it just wouldn't pick up right w/ the multimeter. Even the new one I could only get 2 of the 3 positions that the TSM talked about.
You could'nt get the right specs before you washed it, or since you've washed the motor.. If you can get the right specs AFTER you washed the motor, pull the tps off and let it dry.. When mine crapped out it wasn't because it rotated, but water got in and affected the resistance..

Then, I turn on my ipod and set it to Sting. He can rock!
Anytime I'm doing tedious work, I'm rockin out to Alexisonfire or The Offspring.. Entire discographies went by while I rebuilt my dirtbike..
Old 03-02-2010, 10:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
believe it or not...WD-40 is a great way to get water out of things. it will not dry the parts but it will make the water run away and it is die-electric. WD-40 was originally formulated by nasa to get moisture out of electronics and just happens to be a great lubricant. try it some time.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:21 AM

Washed Engine now I have NO power at all Please help.

I have a 1986 Toyota 4x4 EFI Turbo. I washed the engine cause there was an oil leak from the valve cover. Used a degreaser and a hose. tried to stay away from electrical stuff. Forgot to unhook battery cables.. but I unhooked them halfway into washing the engine. Now I turn the key on and I have no power at all ... like the battery cables are unhooked but they are not. Iv tried everything around the cables and battery even hooking up a new battery still NO POWER AT ALL. I know I messed up and washed the engine wrong so I dont need to hear about that. What could be the problem? Where should I start. Please help. Thank you.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:23 AM

fuse?
Old 03-02-2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by darkile
I have a 1986 Toyota 4x4 EFI Turbo. I washed the engine cause there was an oil leak from the valve cover. Used a degreaser and a hose. tried to stay away from electrical stuff. Forgot to unhook battery cables.. but I unhooked them halfway into washing the engine. Now I turn the key on and I have no power at all ... like the battery cables are unhooked but they are not. Iv tried everything around the cables and battery even hooking up a new battery still NO POWER AT ALL. I know I messed up and washed the engine wrong so I dont need to hear about that. What could be the problem? Where should I start. Please help. Thank you.
the alternator got fubar.. for sure
Old 03-02-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by blue_CA_yota
You could'nt get the right specs before you washed it, or since you've washed the motor.. If you can get the right specs AFTER you washed the motor, pull the tps off and let it dry.. When mine crapped out it wasn't because it rotated, but water got in and affected the resistance..

Anytime I'm doing tedious work, I'm rockin out to Alexisonfire or The Offspring.. Entire discographies went by while I rebuilt my dirtbike..
I had trouble getting it in specs when I replaced the tps a couple weeks ago. I haven't pulled it off to test it since the water. I'd hate to replace it again but it might be ruined after the water.

Originally Posted by tysen86
believe it or not...WD-40 is a great way to get water out of things. it will not dry the parts but it will make the water run away and it is die-electric. WD-40 was originally formulated by nasa to get moisture out of electronics and just happens to be a great lubricant. try it some time.
Thanks for the WD-40 trick. I've been going through all the harnesses and plugs I can find and trying to wash the water out. It almost like the fuel is being shut off or the fuel is only trickling in slow when the rpms start bouncing. It's done it to me twice today. Once after trying to blow out all the water...
Old 03-02-2010, 03:54 PM

You don't have to unhook the batt. when washing. I never do, never had a problem. The alternator? WTF. That has nothing to do with it. Seriously people, if you're that mechanicially slow, don't post and steer ppl. in the wrong direction. If I were you I would re-check your cable connections on both the battery and the other ends of the cables, maybe you have a bad connection at the starter. A fuse is a possibility also. Definitely a weird issue, I think it's just coincidence that it happened after spraying off the motor. I pressure wash my engines and I have never had any issues besides a bit of water in the dizzy wires which clears up after 5 mins of driving.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:31 PM

as for the rev limiter at 3k my car did that after i put my new hood on with vents and water was getting in the distributor. it's now siliconed up and it hasn't happened since.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. I wash all my engines too. some times they spit an sputter for a min. cause of some water in the dizzy, but wd-40 clears that up, and off I go.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:11 PM

Hey guys. I just wanted to update this thread for anyone who might stumble along it in a search.

After spraying all my connection to clear the water I was still having a issue. The last time the rev limiter kicked in I floored it for a couple seconds (it bounced at 2200 rpms) and then it broke free of the limit and ran fine again (the first time it fixed its self w/o restarting the truck).

After that night I was changing my oil and I noticed a small loose connector that was hanging next to my starter. After the oil change I haven't had any more issues. I don't know if it was water that finally passed on my last little "floor it" moment or if that plug had anything to do with it but I have to say my truck has never ran better.

After all this stuff my truck finally idles consistently every time i start it warm or cold. Yay. Thanks for all your suggestions. Hopefully the little gremlin is gone for good and not just playing possum.