86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re exuast question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re exuast question...

alright so i have a 22re and i was thinking about putting a flowmaster 40 muffler with 2.25 from the cat back and i wanted to know how much back pressure would it really take away?
..thanks
Old 03-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
it will be fine besides being really loud
Old 03-09-2009, 01:18 PM

well i want it to be loud.. but thanks
Old 03-09-2009, 01:23 PM

stay classy get a delta 50
Old 03-09-2009, 01:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
iamsuperbleeder on here did a complete system to include a header. It sounds nice in the video clips and looked great until the paint peeled off the header.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:18 PM

I think a glasspack would be louder, but the flowmaster will sound better IMO.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:02 PM

The exhaust on my 4-Runner is what you are looking for if you want loud. I have a Downey header to 2.25" pipe with a 40 series Flowmaster and no cat. When I was a teenager it was even to loud. It sounds good but is guaranteed to wake up everyone in your neighborhood. It was never a good feeling when my neighbors used to ask, "what were you doing out until 4am last night?"(teenage years) As soon as I get it running properly again the first stop will be a muffler shop to get a quiet muffler put on. Eric
Old 03-10-2009, 01:34 PM

Don't listen to what Dbl. E is saying, look at his avatar...................
Old 03-10-2009, 08:24 PM

I'm all for a good exhaust note, but I just haven't heard a GOOD note coming from a 4 banger that was loud. Too raspy/ricey. I opted for the Delta 50 and am pretty please with the note. Deeper sound, not too loud. You won't mistaken it for a smallblock, but I've had people ask if it was a healthy six. No real cabin noise, either. Never liked that, not even when I had a smallblock...
Old 03-10-2009, 08:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kawasakimoto_7
alright so i have a 22re and i was thinking about putting a flowmaster 40 muffler with 2.25 from the cat back and i wanted to know how much back pressure would it really take away?
..thanks
If you're not runnign headers, all the backpressure needs will be taken care of by the stock exhaust manifold, downpipe and cat. I run 2.25 from the downpipe into the cat (magnaflow) and 2.25 into the muffler (magnaflow as well) and 2.25 out the back.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:24 PM

Flash319, I'm guessing your not buying the fact that I want my Toyota quiet when my daily driver is one of the loudest things on the road at idle. I've found the noise of the Dodge doesn't usually make that many people upset, it's the black cloud I occasionally leave behind that can really piss people off.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dbl. E
Flash319, I'm guessing your not buying the fact that I want my Toyota quiet when my daily driver is one of the loudest things on the road at idle. I've found the noise of the Dodge doesn't usually make that many people upset, it's the black cloud I occasionally leave behind that can really piss people off.
black cloud is often a rich fuel mix or detonation (depends... )
but anyways, back to the sound....
a glass pack in front of the muffler will tone the sound down a lot- the longest glasspack you can get by the way... but it will probably burn out fairly soon. You could put a glasspack behind the muffler...
...after thinking a bit... I'm probably not helping...
Old 03-10-2009, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
black cloud is often a rich fuel mix or detonation (depends... )
)
The black cloud is from the Diesel(not the Toyota) and yes it's caused by lots of extra fuel from bigger injectors and low boost fueling turned off on the chip. It's fairly easy to leave a cloud big enough you can't see through, especially at low speed.

I'll pass on the glasspack. Like you said it will be a temporary fix so I'd rather just throw on a big muffler.

Sorry for the thread jack.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:08 PM

The black cloud is from the Diesel(not the Toyota) and yes it's caused by lots of extra fuel from bigger injectors and low boost fueling turned off on the chip. It's fairly easy to leave a cloud big enough you can't see through, especially at low speed.

I'll pass on the glasspack. Like you said it will be a temporary fix so I'd rather just throw on a big muffler.

Sorry for the thread jack.
Kind of hard to explain but yeah, with a diesel, 'rich' mixtures usually do result in black smoke (caused by intake air restriction)... but don't confuse that with a rich mixture caused by a fauly injector which will usually result in white smoke....
And a rich mix / over-advanced timing in a gasoline engine can produce prodigous amounts of black smoke due to abnormal combustion temps.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Kind of hard to explain but yeah, with a diesel, 'rich' mixtures usually do result in black smoke (caused by intake air restriction)... but don't confuse that with a rich mixture caused by a fauly injector which will usually result in white smoke....
And a rich mix / over-advanced timing in a gasoline engine can produce prodigous amounts of black smoke due to abnormal combustion temps.
Abe, you are 100% correct. In order to make the black cloud I actually have to change a setting on my chip, upshift to bog the truck a bit and floor it. This dumps a bunch of fuel in the engine with almost no boost so when boost builds you have a huge cloud billowing out the exhaust. I rarely do this but it's nice to have an anti tailgater(smokescreen) within seconds if I choose.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:25 PM

Abe, you are 100% correct. In order to make the black cloud I actually have to change a setting on my chip, upshift to bog the truck a bit and floor it. This dumps a bunch of fuel in the engine with almost no boost so when boost builds you have a huge cloud billowing out the exhaust. I rarely do this but it's nice to have an anti tailgater(smokescreen) within seconds if I choose.
Guess that Cummins, Caterpillar and Detroit training I went through many years ago was correct. Oh, and if you need someone to run the injectors on an L or V Detroit, let me know.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Contributing Member

here's a crappy vid of my 22re with a Lce header no cat 2.25'' pipes to a delta 40
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...t=f218f311.pbr
Old 03-10-2009, 10:29 PM

I have the stock downpipe and cat, after that its a cherry bomb and then a 2 inch dual exaust. It has no backpressure though, and backfires, which i hate, but it does sound nice. heres a link.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0zu4...e=channel_page

best part is, it does not sound ricey at all, i rev it up over 3000 in that vid but you can't tell
Old 03-10-2009, 10:31 PM

also I was thinking about reverting back to a stock tailpipe with a flowmaster 40 muffler has anybody done this?
Old 03-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Contributing Member

stock pipes are way to small

Quick Reply: 22re exuast question...