Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re exhaust problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re exhaust problem

Hello All
Great forum I have pulled a lot of useful information from here.
So to start with I have a 1992 Toyota Pickup Std Cab 2wd 22re 130,000mi
Truck came with no power steering or A/C
Over this summer I did a few mods
They include the following....
LCE Header and 2.25 exhaust to Magnaflow Muffler dumps after cab
LCE Big Bore Throttle Body
LCE Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifold
LCE Wires and Cap and Rotor
LCE EFI Performer Cam
Injectors were serviced and flow matched
NGK Iridium Plugs
EGR Delete and PAR Valve Delete

Previous to these recent mods the truck already had electric fan and and cold air intake with 82 Supra AFM.

So After all these mods the truck was running top notch real responsive on the throttle , significantly faster rev out and acceleration and overall power band.

The only issue i had was that when i had the exhaust done after i installed the header the muffler shop could not reinstall my cat, so they left it off.

Well I didn't enjoy the raspy honda civic exhaust note especially at higher rpms
That and the constant drone bothered me alot.

LCE recomends running a cat on the fuel injected motors due to the need for a certain level of backpressure needed to create low end torque.

I noticed the truck would lag a little from a dead stop until 2000rpm then it would be an animal all the way up to 5500.

So i ordered the smallest hi-flow cat that magnaflow makes with 2.25 in and out, It is one of their spun units.

Yesterday I had it installed and wow, the truck is wayy quieter all the way threw the rev range. But the power has fallen off BIG time!

Now when i stomp the gas, the time to rev up has been serverly slowed and it almost feels like it does not want to rev out to 5500 like it used to.

I guess the truck has gained torque down low but at what cost?
I mean the truck would light up the tires before if i dropped the clutch at like 2800 rpm.

Any input?
Thanks in advance
Old 11-08-2013, 02:38 PM

could the cat have not enough flow? I know you said hi flow but how does it flow compared to normal cats? Is there a higher flow cat? I have no cat on mine but like you i want one so any answers you find would also help me. but I also need new O2's as I don't have mine plugged in after I got aftermarket exhaust put in. They where too lazy to put new bungs in. So they made a project for me to do now, yippee.

I have a header, rv cam, and custom cold air intake.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:25 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I think that trying to improve engine performance by adding a cat is a bass-ackwards approach.

what engine displacement is the cat rated for? if it's less than 2400cc, you got the wrong cat.

you have a stock cam, no head porting? how exactly is the lower intake manifold ported? typically an intake manifold is match-ported to the head... but if the head is stock, i'm not sure that porting the intake is going to help much.

long run, i'd ditch the crappy Toyota efi system entirely, and go megasquirt... with a wide band system you could probably tune the low end for better performance.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by osv
I think that trying to improve engine performance by adding a cat is a bass-ackwards approach.

what engine displacement is the cat rated for? if it's less than 2400cc, you got the wrong cat.

you have a stock cam, no head porting? how exactly is the lower intake manifold ported? typically an intake manifold is match-ported to the head... but if the head is stock, i'm not sure that porting the intake is going to help much.

long run, i'd ditch the crappy Toyota efi system entirely, and go megasquirt... with a wide band system you could probably tune the low end for better performance.
The cam is not stock
Its EFI performer from LCE
The intake manifold runners are all cleaned up and smoothed and well as the throttle body mounting area is opened up to match the larger throttle body.

As for Cat I used magnaflow PN#50005
It claims to be good up to 3.0L engine

http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic...UN%20PRE-OBDII
Old 11-11-2013, 01:46 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
it sounds like the cat is going to have to go, because it made a noticeable difference, for the worse.

ultimately, without a tuneable wide band efi system, it's going to be difficult to get the maximum performance out of the engine.