86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re Auto Tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re Auto Tranny problem

My A/T has been slipping/ hard shifting for a couple mouths now and I just recently checked the fluid (while truck was running, so hot) and the indicator was past hot about half an inch and it stopped a little after the Dextron II label. ( ICold======HOTI---------DEXTRON II I-where my fluid stopped
My first question is if the fluid is overfilled?
My second question is if anyone has ever tried LucasOil Tranny fix on their A/T and if I just add some of the Tranny fix directly to the A/T or if I have to drain some out first before adding some of the tranny fix. Thanks all
Old 10-22-2007, 05:57 PM

To the Top
Old 10-22-2007, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by eightnine
To the Top
Old 10-22-2007, 09:20 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
CAUTION: Do not overfill the transmission. Too much fluid can cause the fluid to foam, which in turn can lead to erratic shifting, oil starvation and transmission damage. Too much fluid may also force ATF to leak past the transmission seals.

http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repa...ques123_0.html

You may have some problems, guy. Get it checked out.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
First thing to do is unplug the ECT unit and do a manual shift. It's under the radio. L will be first, 2 will be Drive, and D will be OD. You loose 2nd gear because no solenoid shift.

Also it will let you know if the torque convertor is slipping during lockup in D and OD, because it will disable the TQ lockup solenoid. It would take two bottles of that lucas to make a difference because the tranny holds so much fluid (one bottle will be too diluted) and it will take about 5 hours to pour it in because it's so thick.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by 4runnerx3
First thing to do is unplug the ECT unit and do a manual shift. It's under the radio. L will be first, 2 will be Drive, and D will be OD. You loose 2nd gear because no solenoid shift.

Also it will let you know if the torque convertor is slipping during lockup in D and OD, because it will disable the TQ lockup solenoid. It would take two bottles of that lucas to make a difference because the tranny holds so much fluid (one bottle will be too diluted) and it will take about 5 hours to pour it in because it's so thick.
I heard that i have to remove x amount of ATF to put in x amount of lucas tranny fix? or do i just add it in
Old 10-24-2007, 04:33 PM

Automatic Transmission

You need to take the extra fluid out , that is very bad for tranny , bad bad bad , use a syringe or hand pump with a long peice of vacum tubing and remove the excess to the "hot" mark when hot or to the "cold" mark when cold , the extra fluid could be your only problem .
As for the lucas you would need to drain it then add it - Do Not Overfill !!!
If you determine which line is your high pressure line at radiator trans cooler then you can use a piece of 1/2 fuel line over fitting and drain that way in container in case you need to add a bit back or just pump out 2 qts and add the lucas , I wouldn't use the lucas unless there is a problem with the tranny after you solve the overfill issue , make sure when you get it right warm it up a little and re-check .

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 10-24-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by n4ynu1010
You need to take the extra fluid out , that is very bad for tranny , bad bad bad , use a syringe or hand pump with a long peice of vacum tubing and remove the excess to the "hot" mark when hot or to the "cold" mark when cold , the extra fluid could be your only problem .
As for the lucas you would need to drain it then add it - Do Not Overfill !!!
If you determine which line is your high pressure line at radiator trans cooler then you can use a piece of 1/2 fuel line over fitting and drain that way in container in case you need to add a bit back or just pump out 2 qts and add the lucas , I wouldn't use the lucas unless there is a problem with the tranny after you solve the overfill issue , make sure when you get it right warm it up a little and re-check .
i just finished "fixing my tranny" even though it didnt really do much. I removed the excess ATF fluid and test drove it.. it was a little better but it still overreved when i floored it and when i use the ECT pwr button. I then added the bottle of lucas oil tranny fix and test drove it and its pretty much the same maybe a tiny bit smoother. I guess it didnt work...
Old 10-25-2007, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by eightnine
i just finished "fixing my tranny" even though it didnt really do much. I removed the excess ATF fluid and test drove it.. it was a little better but it still overreved when i floored it and when i use the ECT pwr button. I then added the bottle of lucas oil tranny fix and test drove it and its pretty much the same maybe a tiny bit smoother. I guess it didnt work...
May be time for a rebuild or a converter then man
I think I would change Trans Filter before I condemned it though and make sure you dont have any kinked or smashed lines going to radiator trans cooler .
Stopped up filter will lower pressure and make them slip
Old 10-25-2007, 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you try driving with the transmission ECU disconnected as suggested? I would next drop the pan and check the screen "filter" and then look at the 6 magnets in the pan as well as what else is in the pan. Check the throttle delay cable to make sure its free by physically pulling it at the engine throttle body. I had one freeze and caused high rpm shift points. Next check the resistance of the two shift solenoids plus I would pull them out and put 12V to them to make sure they are clicking. You may have excessive worn clutch packs, valve body parts sticking or contaminated by clutch pack debris which requires professional help. Finally, check to see if the transmission ECU is putting out any codes. Search this site to find out how to perform that action. I don't endorse Lucas because their products raise viscosity which is usually bad. I have had great success with Trans-X and Seafoam fluid conditioners. They are solvents that clean valve bodies and other internals. Transmission fluid develops a slime over time and becomes an impediment to good fluid flow. I have rebuilt two 340H transmissions and they are one complicated bitch of a transmission to work on. A complete overhaul can easily run $2500. The aluminum overdrive hub usually requires replacement and adds quite a few dollars to the final bill.