Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22r performance rebuild suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r performance rebuild suggestions.

Ok guys. Want some input here.

I have a 86 custom cab. It has 301xxx miles on it. I am unsure of the actual mileage on the motor.

I hunt all over Texas and it is nothing for me to get in my rig and drive 4-5 hours to hunt. I own 166 acres that is partly a swamp (duck hunter here) and the worst black gumbo mud you have ever seen, so far the yota has done amazing....It runs good, but I'm looking for a little more umph, and want to know it is ROCK SOLID soooooooo.....

Here is what I'm looking for.

I am thinking of picking up a used 22r and building it slowly, taking my time and getting the most power out of it, with the least impact on gas mileage. Bore it out a bit, 20r head. Perhaps a perf. carb...I know, I know power up gas mileage down....Just want a happy medium.

Can anyone suggest the best combination of piston size increase with a 20r head and exhaust size combination to go with? Or best combination of mods?

I'm looking for information on what kits you have used and combination of engine mods and what you got out of it, where you got your pistons...Where you got your kits, what you thought about them...about what it cost and how it impacted your gas mileage please. What ever you can give me...

I'm thinking of going with larger pistons, 20r head and up-sizing the exhaust.

I guess I'll go with Engnbldr for the base kit as they have a build ur own kits..

Any other mods suggested that will add a little power with out loosing (completely) the decent mileage that I am getting? 22 + - mpg.

I know that this is the place where the best of the best hang out and I'd like the best input for my build. Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much. Oh, and if I've posted this in the wrong place please let me know. Thanks again...

RJ
Old 01-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Do some searching and you will find many similar threads on here. Cams seem to be a popular upgrade along with a header. Seeing as the 22r & re are bulleproof engines you have to get used to the fact that its not the most powerful... What size of tire are you currently running and have you changed the gearing?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:55 AM

Yes. I saw a few but I'm looking for current feed back on said builds. You never know what might have changed with time, what was gas mileage impact, did the rebuild last? etc...

31's no plan to up size or gear change. Might add larger shackles for increased clearance.

Last edited by rjfortuna; 01-20-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:10 PM

Have you given any thought to a flywheel, and gear change? Maybe a heavier flywheel for more torque, so you can counter act the tall gear?
Old 01-20-2010, 01:39 PM

I am open to any and all suggestions. I was not planning on a gear change, as I was hoping to keep the lowest rpm's at 70 miles per hour (5spd) (thats about as fast as I need to go...unless some one is chasing me...) because the truck gets taken on long trips often. A minimum of a 2 hour one way drive each weekend...

I realize that this stock engine is only about 96-7 hp. I'm not looking to get 200 hp out of it and doubt I could.

Just a little more umph. I realize with any mods, I will loose mileage, but again, I'm open to any and all suggestions. Trying to find someone that has found that happy medium of the most minimal mods and were happy with what they used so I know if I use it it also, theoretically, will be reliable as well.

I was thinking that I might get a little more power with an electric fan setup, and better mileage but nominal on both cases...Amzoil as well, K&N Air filter. Better quality gear oil in pumpkins and such... But the motor mods are really what I'm looking for... because...

I was planning for a fun little project to build one, as I dont know the actual mileage on mine, and it runs good so I figured I could re-coupe some of the capital invested into the build by selling my motor local... I thank anyone for any and all input.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to build one for several reasons. One. I have no idea how many miles I have. Two. Where I go in this vehicle it is possible there are no other cars for many many miles and wont see one for perhaps days. Three. To be completely confident in the motor getting me to and from my little adventures. Four. I have never built a 22r and I want to completely "grock" (understand and grasp all the little inner workings and nuances) of the engine powering my truck. To "understand" it so to speak. (I know I am more than a little odd...) So I didnt figure on a gear change since I'm going to build an engine anyway. But I get the concept there.

I dont want to go fast, just be able to get on the highway, occasionally well......better and safer. A little more pickup and perhaps a bit more umph in the mud.

Again, my appreciation for all input. I can safely say that I will get input from people on this site that know vastly more about these trucks than I do, and this is the reason for my building the motor. To understand it, gain knowledge, as well as improve reliability. I hope that people will also explain why each mod works and why.

Flywheel sounds like a good idea, cam upgrade as well. Thats kind of what I'm looking for here....
Again. Thanks so much and I'm sorry for the long winded reply.

RJ

Last edited by rjfortuna; 01-20-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:56 PM

can some one explain "Deck the block to zero piston protrusion" I grasp the concept here, but not how the machine shop will calculate this.

----------> Never mind. Got it <----------------

Last edited by rjfortuna; 01-20-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Moved to the 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners section.

The Build-Ups section is not for getting tech advice in, it's for documenting the ongoing build of your rig.

If you want to leave this tech thread going in here and start a dedicated build-up thread over there then feel free too.

Thanks,

Fink
Old 01-21-2010, 05:49 PM

Ah. Thanks Fink. Noob error. Thanks for moving it. Will probably get more responses over there. Sorry about that.

RJ
Old 01-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rjfortuna
Ah. Thanks Fink. Noob error. Thanks for moving it. Will probably get more responses over there. Sorry about that.

RJ
No problem at all, that's what we're here for.

Fink