Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22r-e air filter/intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 03:47 PM
BAZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22r-e air filter/intake

I'm just wondering if its worth my time installing a K&N filter on my 22r-e truck. Is there any reason to buy anything other than the autozone Fram air filters or is there another air filter/"intake" available that I should consider?
Old 03-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

"I'm just wondering if its worth my time installing a K&N filter on my 22r-e truck"

Doesn't take to long, just take the top of the filter box off, pull the old filter, drop in the new.....

If your thinking about the whole intake idea, do a search for the deckplate mod.

If your just trying to decide which air filter in general...
Some live by K&N, some say its not worth the cardboard box its packaged in.
Some live by Amsoil, but then again there's the haters.
Some say stick with the stock filter and don't waste your money on the others.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:24 PM
BAZ

Originally Posted by EWAYota
"I'm just wondering if its worth my time installing a K&N filter on my 22r-e truck"

Doesn't take to long, just take the top of the filter box off, pull the old filter, drop in the new.....

If your thinking about the whole intake idea, do a search for the deckplate mod.

If your just trying to decide which air filter in general...
Some live by K&N, some say its not worth the cardboard box its packaged in.
Some live by Amsoil, but then again there's the haters.
Some say stick with the stock filter and don't waste your money on the others.
Haha, I guess I should have said "Is it worth the $?"

:EDIT: I thought the deckplate mod was exclusive to the V6 motor.

Last edited by BAZ; 03-24-2006 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey bro....forget the k&n, just get the cheaper cones that cost anywhere from 20-50 bucks. You can get them at autozone or pepboys or whereever. I got mine on ebay for 20 bucks, and when I installed it after doing the mod, it really does make a big difference.

I can't imagine that the kn's are soooo much better than that...I just don't buy it. There's only so much air the intake can suck in, ya know?

I moved my battery to the drivers side and put the filter by the intake...I think that its better that way. You can just hear the air sucking in when you have the hood open and it's idleing.

With the 3" tubing and all the clamps and the filter, it costs me total around 50 bucks.

Just a suggestion.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:51 PM
BAZ

Sounds like a great idea. Was this on a 22r-e motor? Any pics?
Old 03-24-2006, 05:03 PM

Yeah, 22re...1993 pickup. No, no pics. I can get some next week when I get my new camera, but don't have any now.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:23 PM
BAZ

Sweet, I'll try to remind you if I remember. Also, are these cone filters universal? Is there a Brand or model number?

Is what you did called the deckplate or ISR mod? Can I find pics if I search for a particular term in the archives?

Old 03-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i got the k&n fipk came with the truck when i bought it i also a custom intake tube its seems to work good
Old 03-24-2006, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by BAZ
Sweet, I'll try to remind you if I remember. Also, are these cone filters universal? Is there a Brand or model number?

Is what you did called the deckplate or ISR mod? Can I find pics if I search for a particular term in the archives?

I think the isr mod is a 6 cylinder thing, I dunno. Yeah, all the cones generally have a 3" opening. You have to keep the airflow sensor thing connected, so get one with the "maf adapter". The ones on ebay have those that come with it usually. The maf has a square opening and the cone is circle, hence the adapter. Then, out of the sensor it's 3" circle all the way to the intake.

I just bought a 4' long thing of the 3" "slinky" looking hose thing, which bends real easily. It was about 23 bucks. I cut about a foot for the cone to maf connection, and the rest of it from the maf to the intake. Then for that little 1 1/2" vacuum hose that goes to the filter box, I just capped that off with one of those little mini cones that look just like the big cones. They fit perfectly. Those are about 9 bucks. That keeps you from having to cut a hole in the 3" hose for that little line. But if you get one of those expensive aluminum/chrome tubes, they usually have a hole for the vacuum already in it.

Of course afterwards, you need to adjust the airflow sensor thing..there's a page on that somewhere....to richen the fuel mix.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:49 PM

Research has shown that K&N's let in a lot more dirt and crap with that improved airflow. I would just stick with the factory filters.

Roy
Old 03-24-2006, 07:27 PM

Some guy tested these things and the K&N let in a lot more dirt, and considering the problems the intake can have with gunk getting in the plenum. I am going to buy a Toyota filter they look like they will be better than the Fram or whatever at autozone etc. The nice thing about the K&N is not having to change it for 50,000 miles
Old 03-24-2006, 09:32 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

"Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt"

That says it all...
Old 03-24-2006, 09:53 PM
BAZ

Freakin' awesome dude!
Old 03-25-2006, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Deckplate is very very doable on the 22re as I and numerous others have done it as well. Here's a THREAD on the 22re and deckplate.

Save your money on the the intake setup and go with the deckplate. The next thing after that would be to make your own intake tube set-up if you want. All in all, if you were to do it yourself, your gonna save 60-75% of what you'd pay for the K&N setup, or AirRaid, or whoever else is out there.

As far as the filter decision, like I stated earlier (i understood your original question, just felt like wording it the way i did) its a split decision with what filter. I have a K&N, live in a desert area and don't have any problems with it. I believe theres a write up somewhere on the "net" that compares the diff. air filters against each other. I think Gadget did it.

Last edited by EWAYota; 03-25-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:38 PM

my .02:
the deckplate mod for both the 22re and 3.slow were knocked around here a lot a year ago, maybe more. it makes a huge difference on the 22re. i did my own mod, no screwing or unscrewing a plate.

also, at about the same time, someone posted a good side by side comparison of filters, and far and away the amsoil filter protected better, and allowed more airflow. that said, i did mine (and my wife's jeep) and have never looked back. lots of pop, nice throaty sound with the rest of the exhaust. but like everything else, there's a lot of brand loyalty here.

if i can find the old comparison, i'll post.