Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22r to 22re swap idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22r to 22re swap idle problem

Hello,
Have a base model 1987 toyota pickup with a 22r that I just swapped to a 22re using a 1987 toyota 4runner sr5. I have almost everything hooked up in the engine bay, minus the o2 sensor, as I can't find the connector?? My dash is still out of the truck, but I do have the stock gauge cluster in.

My problem is when I first start my truck, it has a pretty high idle, then about 5 seconds later it starts to miss/backfire out of the exhaust while still having a 2k+ high idle.

Here is why I'm stumped.
I advanced/retarded the distributor timing one tooth each way, just runs worse. I checked for proper vacuum line routing and it's all good. I unplugged the cold start injector and tps with no change. I cleaned throttle body no change. Sprayed ether on all the connections, no change... all the wiring to all the connectors is good. Can't seem to figure out why it has a high idle and then 5 seconds later starts missing... any help is appreciated! Also I don't have any coolant in the truck, could that cause something weird??

Thanks everyone!!
Old 03-13-2016, 11:31 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

How many miles on the engine to start??

Did you have the used injectors cleaned and flow tested or did you go with new injectors ??

How sure are you that the EFI system was working 100% before swapping it into your truck.

Tune up parts all new ?? Good spark plug wires ?? It is easy to get them on wrong I do it all the time!!!

I am not real sure how the no coolant will effect the cold start system what kind of readings the sensors will give being in air

*** If I had a dollar for every time someone said the wiring is all good I could afford real Health insurance!!

Unseen Corrosion happens far to often tests fine with the meter fails when plugged together

When you say you disconnected the Cold Start Injector you did mean both the electric connector and the fuel line??

A stuck injector will continue to spray fuel as long as there is fuel pressure

Did you install the Aux Air Valve ?? I have had so many of those break and allow lots of extra air into the engine with it all being sealed you would not find a external vacuum leak.

Last edited by wyoming9; 03-13-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:43 AM

Good info wyomming.

Engine is a LCE STAGE 2 stroker motor that is FRESH. New plugs, wires, cap, and rotor ofcourse.

I haven't voltage or ohm the wiring but I did go through it and check for cuts/disconnections.

The Injectors I rebuilt, aka put new orings and filters in them.

I only disconnected the wiring to the cold start injector, I will un do the fuel line tonight and see if that makes any difference.

The aux air valve, I need to do some more reading on that.

Appreciate the info, I will report back tonight!
Old 03-15-2016, 10:34 PM

Okay so here's an update.

I put coolant directly into the intake manifold, by removing the thermostat.

I removed the air screw on the tb and put some sealant tape on the threads. Set the screw two turns out.

I also saw that the throttle plate wasn't closing all the way. So I loosened the retaining nut and lowered the set screw to let the throttle plate relax fully. The idle is lower for sure. But it is not changing when warm. The dash pot doesn't seem to be getting in the way.. I will electrical check the temp sensor tomorrow as well as the tps. Could my o2 not being plugged in cause this? Still can't find the stupid plug... lol..

Thanks alot!
Old 03-15-2016, 11:50 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

TheO2 sensor should not effect the idle

What did you figure on the Aux Air valve ??

Air intake good and tight no cracks or leaks??

Throttle body linkage hanging up??
Old 03-16-2016, 06:46 AM

I will check the air valve today, did not have time yesterday. The throttle body rotates freely, and the intake is not cracked. I believe I may have an injector sticking, or something to that extent. The truck does have a faint fuel knock sound coming from the injector lines somewhere, and when revved up it does run rough.

Timing is set right where it needs to be.

When I get home I will check the coolant temp gauage, aux air valve, Tps, and see if I can pinpoint which cylinder that noise is coming from and inspect the plug for fuel wash.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:56 PM

Didn't get far today as I was prepping the toy hauler for a rzr trip. I did manage to ohm the thermo time sensor, it ohm at 82.5ohms when cold and hot.... truck has a stumble/ misfire when revved still, ticking noise is getting louder. Suspect a bad injector... unplugged the tps and idle raised up, ran the same through out the Rev up...

having a problem trying to pull codes. I jump t and e but the engine light doesn't flash, yet it's on when the engine is running... and still can't find the wire for the o2 sensor!

Regardless will report back when I test some more, thanks a bunch!